Help For European Cruising

Hi All! I’m Stephanie from Florida and for summer 2019 I think we are going to try a European cruise, we are diamond on RCCL so I know we’ll be doing Royal, thats about all I know. I’d like to get your opinions on the different sailings. We’d like to do 9+ nights and I’m rather open on ports. I’ve heard that the Italy cruises usually take 2 hours to actually get to the “port” ie, you obviously don’t dock in Rome. I’ve been to Florence, Rome and Venice before so it’s not imperative I go there. Scandinavia? Greece? What have your experiences been like? We are in our 40’s with an 8 year old and my mom, 67, is thinking of joining us. Any insights you can provide would be great!!!!

We are UK based and done a couple of Mediterranean cruises but nothing comes close to our Baltic cruise.

So different and if you find a cruise that does that does an overnight in St Petersburg it’s an amazing city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All! I’m Stephanie from Florida and for summer 2019 I think we are going to try a European cruise, we are diamond on RCCL so I know we’ll be doing Royal, thats about all I know. I’d like to get your opinions on the different sailings. We’d like to do 9+ nights and I’m rather open on ports. I’ve heard that the Italy cruises usually take 2 hours to actually get to the “port” ie, you obviously don’t dock in Rome. I’ve been to Florence, Rome and Venice before so it’s not imperative I go there. Scandinavia? Greece? What have your experiences been like? We are in our 40’s with an 8 year old and my mom, 67, is thinking of joining us. Any insights you can provide would be great!!!!

Both Venice and Barcelona are very easy ports to get to from the airport and the Venice sailaway is quite spectacular.

Both are worth spending a few days in pre cruise although understand you've already been to Venice, Lake Garda quite nearby and easy by train and is extremely beautiful.

We prefer the Greek Islands cruises Corfu Santorini and Mykonos.

But Kotor Split Dubrovnik Athens Katakolon Valencia Lisbon are all worth visiting.

We are UK based and done a couple of Mediterranean cruises but nothing comes close to our Baltic cruise.

So different and if you find a cruise that does that does an overnight in St Petersburg it’s an amazing city.

Agreed we always sail out of Southampton and love Iceland and Norway. Flam in Norway is fantastic :D

Thank you everyone for your responses....can you tell me what you liked and didn't like about these locations. It's funny, each person recommneded each cruise, sounds like I can't go wrong. For those have done the different itineraries, which was your favorite and why? My mom and my husband love museums, me, not so much, and we're traveling with an 8 year old. Do I have to travel long distances from the ports of call to visit the actual city? etc....I love everyone's opinions so keep them coming please!!!:)

My vote would be a Baltic cruise. We have just come back from a 12 night cruise to the Baltics. An overnight in St Petersburg is a must. Tallin and Stockholm are very easy to do on your own, no excursion needed. We booked ship excursions for St Petersburg so that we didn't have to arrange our own visa. Hop on hop off buses available at many of the ports too.

I’ll do my best with the pro’s and cons of our Baltic cruise [emoji3]

Lots of museums and history if you like that.

Everything quite close to port and mainly walkable.

No beaches, which may be a negative.

We took our then 5 year old son and it’s not a massively suitable cruise for children.

It’s 4 or 5 very different countries and many different sights and experiences.

It was a very tiring trip with long touring days but one of our most rewarding.

St Petersburg (if your cruise goes there) literally has to be seen and experienced to be believed.

Good luck in choosing, no wrong choice of course when cruising!

Personally I’d go for the Venice, Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor route, and perhaps a few Greek islands.

Or the Venice to Barcelona route?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seconded. Mostly the ports can be self explored. The entrance into Kotor is fabulous scenery, Greece is a relaxing and bustling mix.

Croatia & Greece

8 night- Rhapsody of the Seas

ITINERARY

Venice, Italy Dubrovnik, Croatia Corfu, Greece Santorini, Greece Chania (Crete), Greece Athens, Greece Katakolon, Greece Venice, Italy

I've already done Baltic, Canaries and Western Med cruises, but have done UK, Ireland and Norway (just naming the cruise-relevant ones) by motorhome. I'd recommend either a Baltic or Norwegian Fjords cruise. If you'd like to visit a lot of different cities with beautiful architecture and culture - go for the Baltics cruise. If you prefer a stunning landscape and nature - go for the cruise to Norway. I've also heard a lot of good things about Eastern Med cruises but haven't tried it myself.

If you've got specific questions for the Baltics, ask away. We did Kiel - Gdansk - Klaipeda - Riga - Tallinn - St. Petersburg - Helsinki - Stockholm - Visby - Kiel in 2016 with TUI Cruises (German joint venture of RCI with TUI).

If you are cruising during the summer months I would do something out of Amsterdam, Copenhagen, or Southampton.

Europe is very 'crowded' during the summer and very hot. The northern ports will be crowded but you won't have the heat. For that reason I wouldn't do the Greek islands during the summer.

You will have much more choice of ships and time options if you sail from Barcelona or Rome.

The choice of quality ports and tours is amazing.

The Baltics is all about St Petersburg and if you decide on this itinerary May/June is the normal time to cruise here.

If you are cruising during the summer months I would do something out of Amsterdam, Copenhagen, or Southampton.

Europe is very 'crowded' during the summer and very hot. The northern ports will be crowded but you won't have the heat. For that reason I wouldn't do the Greek islands during the summer.

I'm from Florida, I'm not too worried about the heat LOL!

You could try sailing from Southampton UK down to the Canary Islands.

Vigo,Lisbon,Madeira, Lanzarote, Tenerife,Gran Canaria are all lovely places.

We've done 2 cruises out of Barcelona, 7 days each & loved them both.

Stay for a few days in Paris, Amsterdam, or Frankfort (flight stopover), & of course a few days in Barcelona.

You'll visit 2 French cities & 3 Italian cities/ports...

Hi Stephanie, as a fellow Floridian (waving from across Howard Frankland), I am going to tell you my very favorite EU cruises were the Greek Isles and Sunshine in the Canaries as a very close second. DH and I are late 30's and not too much for museums either but love beaches, churches, food and historic landmarks. I feel like we got a good mix of all that and more on those two trips. Greek Isles was 10 days and Canaries was 14 days. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi,

My advice would be pick about a dozen cruises that take your fancy, write them down and put them in a hat and draw one out. All of them will be fabulous. Almost everywhere you cruise in Europe speaking English will be fine.

There are so many things to see and do in Europe.