Is NCL the only one with Haven

styme123

Do other popular cruise lines have something similar to the Haven like NCL? Was wondering more about those cruise lines that have specific area only parts of the ship not so much just upgraded rooms/suites. I think MCS has something similar. I checked Princess but I think they just have nice rooms not separate guest areas.

Do other popular cruise lines have something similar to the Haven like NCL? Was wondering more about those cruise lines that have specific area only parts of the ship not so much just upgraded rooms/suites. I think MCS has something similar. I checked Princess but I think they just have nice rooms not separate guest areas.

MSCs Yacht Club is the most similar to the Haven. If NCL should buy a ship from MSC they could just rename the Yacht Club and the Haven should be ready to use.

MSCs Yacht Club is the most similar to the Haven. If NCL should buy a ship from MSC they could just rename the Yacht Club and the Haven should be ready to use.

I tried looking through MSC's website to check out the price difference but a lot of the YC ones were all booked up so hard to compare.

I tried looking through MSC's website to check out the price difference but a lot of the YC ones were all booked up so hard to compare.

The YC is probably booked up because it's cheap, or because it's great!

Our MSC Meraviglia cruise last summer costed more than $3000 less than what NCL wanted for the Haven on the Epic.

The two newer ships on DCL has a lounge and reserved area as well for Concierge rooms.

Not sure about all of MSC YC and ships, but the ones sailing out of the US drinks are free (up to a $ limit) all over the ship vs. NCL you only get the free drinks if you pick the offer and pay the service charge. MSC also includes mini-bar in the room. There are other differences as well.

The two newer ships on DCL has a lounge and reserved area as well for Concierge rooms.

Not sure about all of MSC YC and ships, but the ones sailing out of the US drinks are free (up to a $ limit) all over the ship vs. NCL you only get the free drinks if you pick the offer and pay the service charge. MSC also includes mini-bar in the room. There are other differences as well.

The drinks are included for YC on all ships (where they have the YC). Many drinks are included, for example Champagne by the glass. (On Meraviglia it's Nicolas Feuillatte and Laurent Perrier but I don't know if it's the same on every ship.)

As said the mini-bar in included and also bottled water and room service.

MSC Seaside is great. I can't believe anyone would pay Haven prices .... absurd. MSC Yacht Club is a way better deal. If people that sail in the Haven haven't seen the Yacht Club they'll soon realize that They've been taken by NCL.

This is an interesting and topical question for me... I am looking at MSC YC but similar size suite and added specialty restaurants actually comes mighty close to NCL, experience looks good nonetheless.

Hence my question becomes broader...

"If I'm looking to find "Haven'esque" experiences on other lines... would I actually be better off (experience/value) stepping up to 'normal' on a more 'luxury' brand overall (rather than trying to find luxury on a mid-tier brand like NCL)?"

In other words... does stepping to Oceania or Regent kinda make the problem go away... if you see what I mean?

Interested in informed responses. :cool:

This is an interesting and topical question for me... I am looking at MSC YC but similar size suite and added specialty restaurants actually comes mighty close to NCL, experience looks good nonetheless.

Hence my question becomes broader...

"If I'm looking to find "Haven'esque" experiences on other lines... would I actually be better off (experience/value) stepping up to 'normal' on a more 'luxury' brand overall (rather than trying to find luxury on a mid-tier brand like NCL)?"

In other words... does stepping to Oceania or Regent kinda make the problem go away... if you see what I mean?

Interested in informed responses. :cool:

Ahh Very good point! I think I always just discounted those lines because at the initial look they always seem so much more expensive and not as many things "to do" on the ship. I could be wrong as I'm pretty new to cruising.

Ahh Very good point! I think I always just discounted those lines because at the initial look they always seem so much more expensive and not as many things "to do" on the ship. I could be wrong as I'm pretty new to cruising.

Yep... Any good multi-brand strategy should overlap... the top of one overlaps with the ~bottom of the next; creating headroom... In my cursory research and all-in Haven experience equated pretty closely to the ~middle of Oceania... and that is likely where my next Dollars will go when I'm done with my two current NCL bookings. It may not be a one way street... but seems like worthy of a reconnaissance sortie; as does MSC YC.

:cool:

I've been researching Regent for this very reason. We really enjoy the Haven spa suites. If we went on Regent, the cost is comparable (depending on the itinerary) and includes things like airfare. If it means we give up the ability to wear jeans at dinner...okay. Most of the liquors we enjoy are on their included list. Excursions on their included list seem interesting.

I'm hopeful that we can do something on Regent in late 2020 or early 2021. Fingers crossed!

If it means we give up the ability to wear jeans at dinner...okay.

The Regent SS dress code is just so......uggghhhhh. :rolleyes:

Country Club casual (resort-style attire) is appropriate for daytime on board or ashore. Shorts are not appropriate after 6 p.m. in any of the public rooms or lounges. Guests are asked not to wear bathing suits in the restaurants and lounges at any time. Evening attire can be Country Club casual, informal (sport coat and tie recommended), or formal (black tie optional). Evening dress codes begin at 6 p.m. Depending on your itinerary, the dress code varies by ship and location. In your documents it states how many formal nights there are, and once on board, the suggested evening dress code is listed on the front page of your ship's daily newsletter.

The evening dress code is Elegant Casual, and Formal Optional. The number of Formal Optional nights per cruise is dependent upon the length of the cruise, as follows:

• Cruises of fourteen nights or less will be Elegant Casual for the duration
  • Cruises of fifteen nights or more will have two Formal Optional nights

Elegant Casual: Skirt, or slacks (no jeans) with a blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional.

Formal Optional: While guests are welcome to dress each evening as per the Elegant Casual dress code, during Formal Optional evenings, guests may opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Country Club casual (resort-style attire) is appropriate for daytime on board or ashore. Shorts are not appropriate after 6 p.m. in any of the public rooms or lounges. Guests are asked not to wear bathing suits in the restaurants and lounges at any time. Evening attire can be Country Club casual, informal (sport coat and tie recommended), or formal (black tie optional). Evening dress codes begin at 6 p.m. Depending on your itinerary, the dress code varies by ship and location. In your documents it states how many formal nights there are, and once on board, the suggested evening dress code is listed on the front page of your ship's daily newsletter.

The evening dress code is Elegant Casual, and Formal Optional. The number of Formal Optional nights per cruise is dependent upon the length of the cruise, as follows:

Elegant Casual: Skirt, or slacks (no jeans) with a blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional.

Formal Optional: While guests are welcome to dress each evening as per the Elegant Casual dress code, during Formal Optional evenings, guests may opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Useful thank you! Kinda aligns with what we do anyway but the prescriptive nature is annoying... Do you happen to know if Oceania follows the same model?

I also dress for dinner....but not at 6pm! I'm still having fun at 6pm. I just imagine "...dinner at 6...in bed by 9..." on Regent. :D

...that's not us.

Yes I'm with you... truth is we're normally in our cabin around 6pm recharging for the evening but anyway... absolutely.

For the benefit of the thread I found the following on Oceania website FAQ:

Recommended on board clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

Seems slightly less prescriptive and more acceptable to my taste than Regent. Amusingly... I have never set foot in a Country Club (by choice) and find it an odd descriptor... Presumably 'Pringle' would be considered the height of fashion!

Not for me! I do not wear a jacket or tie at work at all anymore, I certainly will not be told to wear them on vacation. Just not my thing.

Not for me! I do not wear a jacket or tie at work at all anymore, I certainly will not be told to wear them on vacation. Just not my thing.

I'm with you :D I didn't realize the those other lines were that restrictive with their dress code.

I'm with you :D I didn't realize the those other lines were that restrictive with their dress code.

"Not jeans/shorts and a collared shirt" isn't THAT restrictive in the grand scheme of things but Regent seems the more prescriptive of the two.

Jackets are optional on all but the long duration formal nights as described.

We normally cruise NCL Haven when we have our daughter with us- teenager- and we’ve cruised Oceania and Viking without her. Oceania was fantastic and the food was outstanding! Specialty restaurants were too notch and the ship was half the size of NCL so it was more refined. What was lacking on ours was the evening entertainment. We are big Howl at the Moon fans, along with we attend many of the other shows on NCL and they’ve been awesome. We were pretty bored on Oceania after 8p. Maybe they’ve made this better- it’s been two years since our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are a foody....then nothing beats regent.

You can have filet mignon & lobster every night. On our Alaska cruise earlier this year, there were crab legs on the lunch buffet almost every day. Their lunchtime grill not only has burgers but steaks/chicken/fish. You just give them your table number & they deliver the freshly grilled food to you.

Their ice cream station has about 10 different flavors everyday,,,including my favorites...pistachio & coconut. Next to the ice cream is a table with assorted candies, nuts & syrups.

Onboard credit would be very hard to spend as gratuities/ excursions/internet/alcohol/etc. are all included.

Personally, I love the dress code.

But the ships are smaller. I do not believe there is much, if any childrens program.

There are less activities during the day.

If you are a foody....then nothing beats regent.

You can have filet mignon & lobster every night. On our Alaska cruise earlier this year, there were crab legs on the lunch buffet almost every day. Their lunchtime grill not only has burgers but steaks/chicken/fish. You just give them your table number & they deliver the freshly grilled food to you.

Their ice cream station has about 10 different flavors everyday,,,including my favorites...pistachio & coconut. Next to the ice cream is a table with assorted candies, nuts & syrups.

Onboard credit would be very hard to spend as gratuities/ excursions/internet/alcohol/etc. are all included.

Personally, I love the dress code.

But the ships are smaller. I do not believe there is much, if any childrens program.

There are less activities during the day.

We chose the Haven after talking to friends who as my mother would say “have more money than God.” They have young adult kids ages 19-24. In the past few years they took them on a private yacht (kids thought it was “cool for first 24 hours, them bored out of their minds”), then on Regent ( “kids liked the food...then bored”) then Ncl Haven where they had 3 rooms ...paying a premium for their daughter to have her own room( “food only good not great but ...everybody had a great time”.)