'Dress to Impress' New dress corde?

NSWP

We understand the necessity of limited packing, especially with airlines charging for checked bags. But I really like the energy of formal nights - seeing what everyone is wearing, feeling special being dressed up. On the non-formal nights, hubby and I always dress "smart casual" anyway - it makes eating in the dining room and sipping drinks at the bar feel that much more like a night out. On our Princess cruise, that's what most people did. We find that it's not that hard to pack a cocktail dress or two, or add heels and jewelry to a nice sundress, while hubby wears slacks, even with a sports jacket. I hope they keep something similar so it doesn't end up being casual every night.

I think they try to cater to most tastes, so I'll think you'll have a great time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've eliminated "formal night" by next summer, nor surprised if the staff in the MDR are different from the cruise my observations were based on this May.

I don't stand by the 3 MDR doors and take a poll, either, so that makes 2 of us.

They may, or they might just keep as is. As Floridalover has stated, there is a section that allows fairly casual dress overall. I just hope if they change it, it's not "Dress to Impress". Sounds pretty juvenile. Celebrity's "Evening Chic" sounds better(it might be trademarked, however)

We have a couple of cruises coming up shortly. My tux is ready. My wife has her formal night dresses. We are flying to one cruise and have watched some helpful packing videos on You Tube.

When we cruised a couple of years ago with our grown kids and their families, we all dressed according to the requested dress code. Our grandchildren were told that these were special nights. One of our grandson's (age 3 at the time) looked in a mirror and commented, "I'm a stud." He was right. Their behaviour was improved and they were special evenings.

Over the years, I have personally seen several people removed from Princess dining rooms for inappropriate attire. One couple was seated at our table and a few people were at nearby tables. One stands out. 'Twas a formal night. At the table immediately next to ours, the missus had taken the time to dress appropriately. Her husband and older teen son had not. They could have gone camping or done yeardwork in what they were wearing. The MD came by and whispered something in the husband's ear. His response was, "Hey. I'm on vacation." The MD was firm. I don't remember if they returned.

It does happen though enforcement is admittedly spotty. Kind of like exceeding the speed limit.

Cheers.

All depends on how the Maître D wishes to enforce the codes. As you've said it can get sporadic(on all lines for that fact)Most made an attempt to follow within reason on the Regal, but it can vary a lot, as many have said.

We understand the necessity of limited packing, especially with airlines charging for checked bags. But I really like the energy of formal nights - seeing what everyone is wearing, feeling special being dressed up. On the non-formal nights, hubby and I always dress "smart casual" anyway - it makes eating in the dining room and sipping drinks at the bar feel that much more like a night out. On our Princess cruise, that's what most people did. We find that it's not that hard to pack a cocktail dress or two, or add heels and jewelry to a nice sundress, while hubby wears slacks, even with a sports jacket. I hope they keep something similar so it doesn't end up being casual every night.

We pack a couple of fairly light sport coats. Add a few ties & nice shirts & it's good for us. I might Try Postech's suggestion of a just nice shirt & tie. I might snap it up a bit with a vest(which is good at disguising intake of good food)as well. After dinner, find a spot at Crooners for a good bit of people watching.(Royal class ships)

We pack a couple of fairly light sport coats. Add a few ties & nice shirts & it's good for us. I might Try Postech's suggestion of a just nice shirt & tie. I might snap it up a bit with a vest(which is good at disguising intake of good food)as well. After dinner, find a spot at Crooners for a good bit of people watching.(Royal class ships)

I have worn the vest one time and got several compliments on it. I think you would like it.

We like formal nights but after doing it a number of times and having all the pictures we are thinking of not doing it next time only because my husbands adds so much weight to his suitcase. The shoes, jacket etc. We were thinking of looking into the "rent a tux" if they still do that on board?

Formal night is archaic and needs to go the way of the dodo bird. Those who wish to put on the formal costumes are certainly allowed to. If others are comfortable in t-shirts and flip flops them by all means be comfy.

• Like 1

We like formal nights but after doing it a number of times and having all the pictures we are thinking of not doing it next time only because my husbands adds so much weight to his suitcase. The shoes, jacket etc. We were thinking of looking into the "rent a tux" if they still do that on board?

We did rent a tux on two different cruises. Tux arrived within an hour of our arrival in our cabin, fit as expected. Hubby was definitely a minority in choosing to wear a tux. I didn't want the extra weight in the suitcases. The price went up considerably between the two. I believe the price was about $80 the first time and at least twice that the second.

Lets face it, Princess is probably the last mass market cruise line to still have formal nights.

It's a money maker for them.

Although many people follow their suggestions on how to dress there are a growing number who circumvent their dress suggestions & have been for many years.

The people who are upset with it are probably the ones who went to the trouble to pack the clothing and then realize it wasn't necessary.

Changing their "formal nights" to "Dress to Impress" will officially allow everyone to select the style of clothing of their choice.

It's working for the other cruise lines so why not Princess?

Formal night is archaic and needs to go the way of the dodo bird. Those who wish to put on the formal costumes are certainly allowed to. If others are comfortable in t-shirts and flip flops them by all means be comfy.

I'd be surprised if they allow t shirts & flip flops in the MDR at night. You can try it, but if you're denied, it's now your problem.

They already allow flip flops in the MDR. They are called backless sandals. I am sure there are sveral women wearing them each night. DW wears them quite often.

The type you usually see at the beach, I'm not so sure. He can try & see what happens.

There are many types but I see your point.

Yeah, I was referring to the $2.99 special you'll see in the tourist stores. The ones your wife has I'm sure are fine. This is a real issue over at the Celebrity blog. Some get the nod by the Maître D & the next one gets denied. Seems some of the "prettier" dressed women get in & the more average don't. Really problematic & just plain dumb!

They also overlook crocks. ;)

Nothing in the code I saw about Crocs. I think with flip flops, they're probably thinking along the lines of those cheapo ones you buy at the "dollar" store. Good for about a week & then you toss 'em.

Yeah, I was referring to the $2.99 special you'll see in the tourist stores. The ones your wife has I'm sure are fine. This is a real issue over at the Celebrity blog. Some get the nod by the Maître D & the next one gets denied. Seems some of the "prettier" dressed women get in & the more average don't. Really problematic & just plain dumb!

Put the ones bought in tourist stores next to the ones my DW wears and the only true difference is in materials and decoration. Both are a foot pad with a y-shaped device used to keep it on her foot. That is the only difference. Oh yea the other is price.

Nothing in the code I saw about Crocs. I think with flip flops, they're probably thinking along the lines of those cheapo ones you buy at the "dollar" store. Good for about a week & then you toss 'em.

Another time that what they are thinking and actual reality are no where near each other.

• 6 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, keithm said:

I think they try to cater to most tastes, so I'll think you'll have a great time.

When I said "cater to most tastes" I use that as a metaphor. Princess appeals to many pax. because they offer a lot to everyone!