'Dress to Impress' New dress corde?

NSWP

If they go down to 1 night...then I would not bother to bring any formal wear. For DH, it has been Tux or black long sleeve button down, no tie...nothing in the middle.

Since most of the captains parties are becoming more smart casual, I see not reason to bring formal wear.

And 10 years ago we purchased tuxes for the 4 males in our family as this Mom loves guys in Tux...but times change....

One of the economies with having 2 formal nights is that one Tux would work for both, and they are spaced far enough apart that the shirt can be laundered and pressed (Princess does a great job with this). That means one less set of clothes to pack for a 7 /10 night cruise. If they go to 1 formal night then more and more will start to see the tux as an issue for packing.

Personally, for a Caribbean cruise we often bring one extra suitcase for snorkel gear and formal wear, so it is not a big deal to bring formal wear.

As a relatively new cruiser, I’m sad to see formal nights going by the wayside...I loved seeing everyone all dressed and fancy, and figuring out what we would wear

For many of us luggage restrictions on the airlines does make the addition of formal wear difficult. It is not just one suit, it is the extra shoes and bags that go with it. If you are doing a few days on land in addition to your cruise 20 kilos goes very quickly.

If you are going on a cruise with variable weather so you need layers - think Northern Europe, Baltics, Alaska for a start - that heavy dress and tux are the first to be left at home.

It is a pity, but I have got over it. I wore my jeans, a sparkly top and heels on my last formal night. With my nails done and my eyelash extensions - I think I looked as if I had made an effort. I impressed myself.

Edited by ollienbertsmum

I believe “luggage restrictions” are just an excuse. We have cruised the Baltics and South America where warner clothes and layers are required and I have never had a problem packing my Tux and shoes and all the other clothes I need in one checked bag along with the allowed one carry-on and personal item, my back pack. That being said, it is probably time to do away with formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Luggage constraints are a poor excuse for not taking a Tux. We've cruised from ports all over the world, and always easily managed to pack formal wear in basic 20-23Kg luggage allowance.

Congratulations on your accomplishment BUT it does not apply to all cruisers and their individual needs. They are not a poor excuse at all but reality of travel today.

... I wore my jeans, a sparkly top and heels on my last formal night. With my nails done and my eyelash extensions - I think I looked as if I had made an effort. I impressed myself.

Wouldn't a nice mini or long skirt have weighed less and taken up fewer packing inches than a pair of jeans? I am assuming that you did not choose to re-wear the same jeans worn before on the ship?

It started about ten years ago when a few cruise lines went country club casual and dress has regressed on all ships since them...The over all dress on ships..has really hit bottom and this from a person who lives in totally casual southern California....;) in other words I think anything goes...

My DH who never wears t-****s and I who loves to wear dresses around the ship have been been told by other cruisers we dress to nice ..or as one person said to me it must be my first cruise as I don't know how to dress. WHAT???? each to his own.....:eek:

Edit oops! did I mispell t-shirts???

We dress too nice as well then. We like to dress nicely if the surroundings we are in are also elegant which I believe the mdr is with table cloths and napkins. T-shirts and shorts look out of place to me and wouldnt be acceptable in the UK in an upmarket restaurant but then we dont get much chance to wear shorts in the north of England.[emoji300]

We are on Royal Princess in a week and know from past experience that because most of the passengers onboard will be from the US the dress will be quite casual.

I will continue to wear what I think is appropriate even if the majority of other passengers are dressed very casually.

Anyway when else do I get chance to wear all my dresses![emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Wouldn't a nice mini or long skirt have weighed less and taken up fewer packing inches than a pair of jeans? I am assuming that you did not choose to re-wear the same jeans worn before on the ship?

I hadn't realised, but now you say it - I don't have any suitable skirts!! Too old for minis and too young to feel that my long black skirt was fine during my recent graduation but not for a formal night. I will (seriously) bear that tip in mind when I am out shopping. The ship was a little chilly for bare legs though.

Dirty jeans. Nooooo Don't worry - we were right opposite the princess laundry so my jeans were clean!!

• Like 1

We dress too nice as well then. We like to dress nicely if the surroundings we are in are also elegant which I believe the mdr is with table cloths and napkins. T-shirts and shorts look out of place to me and wouldnt be acceptable in the UK in an upmarket restaurant but then we dont get much chance to wear shorts in the north of England.[emoji300]

We are on Royal Princess in a week and know from past experience that because most of the passengers onboard will be from the US the dress will be quite casual.

I will continue to wear what I think is appropriate even if the majority of other passengers are dressed very casually.

Anyway when else do I get chance to wear all my dresses![emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I've cruised on several sailings where UK pax have been the majority and the dress in the evening goes way, way up. Last August, a Scandinavian rt out of South Hampton, the men looked incredibility dapper at night, vest, pocket watches and and I can't forget the Scottish contingent in Kilts.

I am smiling when you bring up shorts in Northern England. About 10 years ago when we did a Med cruise leaving Barcelona....many English on the cruise ...so many of the men were wearing athletic shorts all day on the ship, but the at night, were they dressed... WOW!

We ladies are lucky, with our dresses I compliment mine with a hat/fascinator if I want to wear my "day"dress in the the evening, I find dresses to be so easy to travel with, just add tights and a scarf if the weather becomes cold.

Enjoy

It started about ten years ago when a few cruise lines went country club casual & airlines began charging for luggage and dress has regressed on all ships since them...The over all dress on ships..has really hit bottom and this from a person who lives in totally casual southern California....;) in other words I think anything goes...

My DH who never wears t-****s and I who loves to wear dresses around the ship have been been told by other cruisers we dress to nice ..or as one person said to me it must be my first cruise as I don't know how to dress. WHAT???? each to his own.....:eek:

Edit oops! did I mispell t-shirts???

IMO, it is pretty said that anyone gets criticized for dressing up. Even though I'm in the camp of only wearing a sports coat and tie on formal nights. We have a 14 day coming up, and I do admit that it would allow me to pack a bit easier if I didn't need to bring "formal" wear. Still, we can CHOOSE to go buffet or Crown grill, and go more casual.

Still, I'm no fan of shorts or tshirts in MDR's. For men, it should be slacks of some sort with a collared shirt. Guess I'm still old school.:o:o:o

When I first started cruising in 2003 with Cunard, shopping for formal nights and wearing my purchases on board was a highlight. I was 53 and felt like a litttle girl playing dress up. I still feel that way, but must admit I now purchase fancy cocktail dresses vs the long gowns. We did Cunard in January and dress code is still being enforced (beautiful gowns and the kilts") We noticed on a Caribbean cruise in March on Princess that people were wearing shorts in the MDR. I agree with other comments that shorts should not be allowed at dinner in MDR - long pants should be worn. And went to Bermuda on Celebrity in May and we had no formal but 2 nights the casual chic code. Worked for me but I wore black crepe pants and fancy tops. I do feel sad that things change, but also agree with others that if I still want to play dress up and use that valuable space in my suitcase, I will!

I've watched "dress up" on cruises decrease markedly over the 20 years that we've been "seriously" cruising...but which I mean about twice each year. We don't do short cruises at all. But I've also seen my dress style decrease. Part of it is age (don't care what anyone thinks any more), part is convenience. But I still manage to put a sparkly top and dressy pair of pants in my carry on bag!

Yes, I do try to pack everything I need for at least a 7 night cruise in my carry on, but that's another story that wouldn't apply to most cruisers.

And we've seen "formal night" change to other names...like "Dress up optional." May as well call it what it has become, right?

Even on casual evenings? :confused:

Even then for me. Just bring some dockers, a pair of leather shoes and few nice shirts and you are set for all the casual evenings.

I own a tux, so for me it is an occasion to get it out of the closet and dress like a peacock for the DW after all the times she's dressed great for me.

Even then for me. Just bring some dockers, a pair of leather shoes and few nice shirts and you are set for all the casual evenings.

I own a tux, so for me it is an occasion to get it out of the closet and dress like a peacock for the DW after all the times she's dressed great for me.

Wow, you dress up for her and deal with her quilting habit. Good guy!

IMO, it is pretty said that anyone gets criticized for dressing up. Even though I'm in the camp of only wearing a sports coat and tie on formal nights. We have a 14 day coming up, and I do admit that it would allow me to pack a bit easier if I didn't need to bring "formal" wear. Still, we can CHOOSE to go buffet or Crown grill, and go more casual.

Still, I'm no fan of shorts or tshirts in MDR's. For men, it should be slacks of some sort with a collared shirt. Guess I'm still old school.:o:o:o

You're not old school. Nothing wrong dressing with a bit of class.

Wow' date=' you dress up for her and deal with her quilting habit. Good guy![/quote']

Hey, she puts up with me, she deserves it! The quilting habit is not so bad, it's the sewing habit that can get out of control. She has started keeping a list of all projects she has and the fabric to go with it. We have a deal that she will not just buy fabric without a project to go with it. It has slowed her down thank god, but the project list is quite long. That said, she holds sewing bees with the nieces and grand nieces as well as my daughter so I can not complain. Meanwhile, my wood pile in the garage grows! LOL :eek:

I don't want to see formal go away even though I don't dress as fancy as when I took my 1st cruise in 1982! Because I usually cruise for 20+ days, using a 26" suitcase, I go with silky black pants and sparkly, shiny tops. A few years ago I got my heel caught in the hem of my skirt on the stairs, so no long skirts for me!

I find some things I wear for smart casual are on the dressy side, but it doesn't matter. I noticed on my cruise in March (So. Amer.), some were pretty casual most nights didn't show up on formal nights, which is fine.

Luggage constraints are a poor excuse for not taking a Tux. We've cruised from ports all over the world, and always easily managed to pack formal wear in basic 20-23Kg luggage allowance.

You enjoy dressing-up and no is stopping you from doing so. Lots of people though don't want to doll-up and whatever someone chooses to wear should have zero impact on your dining experience. I don't own a tux, have no intention of owning a tux and it would look pretty shabby after being squeezed into my carry-on. If it doesn't fit in the roller-bag it doesn't get a vacation as I've no plans on lugging 23kg or more of luggage anywhere.

Edited by BritinSoCal