'Dress to Impress' New dress corde?

NSWP

Am I reading correctly that on the non-formal evenings that it is considered appropriate to dress super casual in the restaurants? Shorts, T-shirt’s, etc? We don’t normally -never have, but I am curious as it has been several years since we sailed on Princess. I am only curious. Not trying to start any ‘stuff’.

Shorts & t shirts are fine during the day & acceptable all the time in the buffet. Shorts & t shirts are not acceptable at night in the MDR casual or formal nights. Some do, but that does not mean it's correct. Long pants(non ripped jeans are ok) & polo type shirt is ok. T shirts are NOT. Yes, some of you like to dress down, but at least show a little style. No where in the Princess dress code does it say that level of dress is acceptable for smart casual in the MDR. Instead of the trying to "see what I can get away with" pax should make even a slight effort to follow some rules.

Edited by keithm

Shorts & t shirts are fine during the day & acceptable all the time in the buffet. Shorts & t shirts are not acceptable at night in the MDR casual or formal nights. Some do, but that does not mean it's correct. Long pants(non ripped jeans are ok) & polo type shirt is ok. T shirts are NOT. Yes, some of you like to dress down, but at least show a little style. No where in the Princess dress code does it say that level of dress is acceptable for smart casual in the MDR. Instead of the trying to "see what I can get away with" pax should make even a slight effort to follow some rules.

Hopefully Keith you read my several posts where I clearly stated that we do not go to dinners either at home or on a ship in shorts and t-shirts. I was only trying to clarify if this is acceptable after reading some posts that suggested it was okay. For us, It is more casual than we would ever consider for dinner. My post was not a suggestion that t-shirts and shorts were what we would want to wear.

Just my opinion, but one formal night would probably be enough for a 7 day cruise for most people these days.

Couldn't agree more. I already went to the prom back in High School. I don't need to experience that again!

I guess once again we'll disagree on another fine point of their dress suggestions.

As long as Princess doesn't seem to mind our choices we'll continue to enjoy our cruises differently. ;)

Yes I agree about the difference when most of the passengers are from the UK. A few years ago we did 2 Princess cruises from Southampton one being round Britain and mostly American passengers and the dress was very casual. The second cruise to Norway was mostly British passengers and the dress was completely different and quite formal every night, You wouldnt have thought it was the same cruiseline.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Correct, we recently did Scandinavia cruise from Southampton on Sapphire, 2000 Brits on board, quite formal, almost Cunard like !! Next cruise B2B on Sapphire, mostly North Americans and Aussies, a reversal, laid back, very few tuxes in the MDR.:rolleyes:

I am wondering if where the cruise is heading makes any difference as to what people choose to wear. Hawaii cruises seem to be more casual, our Panama cruise was sort of the same. Lots of people seem to choose not to attend the formal night in the MDR. Lots of empty seats. My hubby is not a suit guy so twice we rented a tux. That worked out fine, my clothes are easy to turn into dressy. Our next cruise is a short coastal and I am hoping it will be pretty casual. At my age shorts are not a choice, so I should be fine. Has anyone observed any difference between Anytime Dining and those with a guaranteed dining hour? We plan on choosing the buffet a few times but I miss the attention by waiters and the choices of formal night. Next cruise we might do formal again, Love it all.

I am wondering if where the cruise is heading makes any difference as to what people choose to wear. Hawaii cruises seem to be more casual, our Panama cruise was sort of the same. Lots of people seem to choose not to attend the formal night in the MDR. Lots of empty seats. My hubby is not a suit guy so twice we rented a tux. That worked out fine, my clothes are easy to turn into dressy. Our next cruise is a short coastal and I am hoping it will be pretty casual. At my age shorts are not a choice, so I should be fine. Has anyone observed any difference between Anytime Dining and those with a guaranteed dining hour? We plan on choosing the buffet a few times but I miss the attention by waiters and the choices of formal night. Next cruise we might do formal again, Love it all.

I think pax tend to observe the dress code more on the traditional dining times than what we saw during anytime dining. Just an observation. Same as on Celebrity.

Recently on Royal Princess, they had 2 formal nights and the rest smart casual, except for one night labelled in Princess Patters as... 'Dress to Impress.' Our Head Waiter said they were trying this out, could take the place of formal nights in future. BTW, dress codes were not enforced in the MDR on Sapphire and Royal which we were on in the past month or two. Princess have given up.;)

Anyone recently come across this 'Dress to Impress on other Princess ships?

Well ,that is interesting. I was on the Sapphire May 3/18 sailing out of Southampton and the dress code was enforced in the MDR on formal night. I was right next to 2 men who were turned away because neither had a suit jacket. I heard the reason and talked to the men. And another man was offered a waiter's jacket to hang on the back of the seat during dinner.

Next to me a lady wore flip flops and a jersey t-shirt dress-without being turned away.

I think pax tend to observe the dress code more on the traditional dining times than what we saw during anytime dining. Just an observation. Same as on Celebrity.

Keith, which did you have on your Princess cruise? Traditional or anytime?

Well ,that is interesting. I was on the Sapphire May 3/18 sailing out of Southampton and the dress code was enforced in the MDR on formal night. I was right next to 2 men who were turned away because neither had a suit jacket. I heard the reason and talked to the men. And another man was offered a waiter's jacket to hang on the back of the seat during dinner.

Next to me a lady wore flip flops and a jersey t-shirt dress-without being turned away.

Had I been refused to be seated I would have pointed it out to the head water & wanted an explanation.

Had I been refused to be seated I would have pointed it out to the head water & wanted an explanation.

the one man who sat next to me did just that and was offered the waiter's jacket (too small to wear), so they told him to hang it on his chair.

We are not out to impress anyone. Lately we have chosen to make formal nights the ones where we eat in the specialty restaurants.

I understand those who enjoy dressing in formal attire, but I don't care to be judged by a head waiter or restaurant staff.

There is just too much inconsistency in how this is handled on Princess. "Dress to impress" is silly IMO.

Never been turned away for not wearing a suit jacket on Formal nights......there has to be more to this then you are stating....the bigger issue that you clearly stated is that it appears women are not held to the suggested dress code for Formal Nights as men are expected to strongly follow....for this reason alone they need to get rid of the Formal Night dress codes....

Never been turned away for not wearing a suit jacket on Formal nights......there has to be more to this then you are stating....the bigger issue that you clearly stated is that it appears women are not held to the suggested dress code for Formal Nights as men are expected to strongly follow....for this reason alone they need to get rid of the Formal Night dress codes....

No,

Only reported what I heard and saw. No more to it.

I only mentioned the one female who sat beside me.

Keith, which did you have on your Princess cruise? Traditional or anytime?

Traditional seating. We like to get to know the waitstaff who take such good care of us. Our only anytime dining was on Oceania this past Jan. They do not offer trad. seating.

On all our Princess cruises, and there have been quite a few, I have never seen baseball hats nor shorts on a formal night. I guess we were just on the more formal trips. :)

If there ever the opportunity I'll be sure to post a picture.

Not sure I'd be willing to take a pic. Not sure what the reaction might be.

Vineyard View

That's the part that aggravates me. Just because I don't want to haul fancy clothes to sit and eat dinner in, I probably will lose the opportunity to enjoy lobster, crab and or beef steak. True that we might be offered hamburgers for a dinner meal? As mentioned on the new Ruby menu. Definitely wearing my jeans to that meal. If true, Princess make up your mind, casual or formal.

Edited by twocats