'Dress to Impress' New dress corde?

NSWP

Is that what you would wear to a wedding also?

I've been to super-casual weddings on the beach, where everyone (except perhaps the bride) wore shorts.

So, I'm not really sure what one wears to a wedding has anything to do with what one wears to dinner on princess.

• Like 1

Actually yes. Clean jeans and a smart polo will do. Gets me into any number of restaurants here and no one but no one bats an eyebrow...

Where did my statement say no jeans or polo shirt? Being from Socal. That area obviously is not a fashion hotbed!

I've cruised on several sailings where UK pax have been the majority and the dress in the evening goes way, way up. Last August, a Scandinavian rt out of South Hampton, the men looked incredibility dapper at night, vest, pocket watches and and I can't forget the Scottish contingent in Kilts.

I am smiling when you bring up shorts in Northern England. About 10 years ago when we did a Med cruise leaving Barcelona....many English on the cruise ...so many of the men were wearing athletic shorts all day on the ship, but the at night, were they dressed... WOW!

We ladies are lucky, with our dresses I compliment mine with a hat/fascinator if I want to wear my "day"dress in the the evening, I find dresses to be so easy to travel with, just add tights and a scarf if the weather becomes cold.

Enjoy

Yes I agree about the difference when most of the passengers are from the UK. A few years ago we did 2 Princess cruises from Southampton one being round Britain and mostly American passengers and the dress was very casual. The second cruise to Norway was mostly British passengers and the dress was completely different and quite formal every night, You wouldnt have thought it was the same cruiseline.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Obviously the amount of dressing up on both formal and casual nights has changed tremendously over the past 20 years, but there are so many variables to consider. I do think that folks who live in California, Arizona, Florida and warmer climates or those from more rural areas tend to dress more casually even at home, so when it comes to formal nights, they just may not wish to purchase this type of clothing because they just don’t want to spend money on clothes that they may never wear again.

Packing can be a problem. Some such as those from the UK are extremely limited on luggage weight compared to the US restrictions and depending on what airline you are using compared with those that live near the port or those driving to the port. Also the size of your clothing can really make a difference on how many outfits you can fit into your suitcase. Some may be elite and can use Princess laundry where others cannot.

While DH and I really enjoy dressing up for formal nights, and I am saddened by the change to less formal, I do totally understand that we as passengers need to be a bit flexible in our mindset of our fellow passengers. The entire point of cruising and dining in the formal dining areas is to meet other passengers and enjoy the conversation with your table mates, comparing your life experiences and those of that day in port or on the ship - not what the other is wearing.

Appreciate whatever experiences you have and the memories created. Let the rest go and enjoy the moment. Everyone will be happier for it.

We just got off the Royal. There were 2 formal nights, and I didn’t notice any “Dress to Impress” nights, although I may have just missed that term. I felt that the formal tone was still being set onboard. The Platinum/Elite Captain’s Club Party was held on Formal Night, and attire was Formal like it used to always be. We used to love dressing up for Formal night, but now with luggage restrictions and 10 hour touring days, it’s just not exciting anymore. We still dress up but not tux and ball gown level.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes' date=' I do try to pack everything I need for at least a 7 night cruise in my carry on, but that's another story that wouldn't apply to most cruisers.[/quote']It certainly doesn't. I will do the final packing for my wife and I, and the same quantity of clothes takes up twice the room for a guy - it is basically a difference in materials, where most guy's clothes take up more volume.

I have learned, however, that my suit (tux doesn't fit anymore) can be carefully folded and put into a flat outer pocket of a carry-on suitcase. Hang it up once onboard and any wrinkles drop out. So I don't buy the excuse some make that they can't bring nice clothes to wear for the occasion because of luggage concerns.

Is that what you would wear to a wedding also?

Depends on the circumstances. I've worn a suit (me 'ickle sis' church bash), "smart casual" (mine - registry office), jeans and a loose shirt, polo (couple of beach weddings here) - but frankly when I go to eat, I'm going for the food, not to walk a catwalk.

We enjoy wearing nicer clothes out to dinner at home. We enjoy wearing nicer clothes in the evening on ships. DH doesn’t own a tux and has decided to stop renting them after the last HAL cruise. The majority of people on formal nights (we had 7) had so few tuxes, some jackets and ties, but more slacks and dress shirts than anything. I tend to wear dresses a lot. There are a lot of styles out there made of materials that don’t take that much space up. DH looks terrific in nice slacks and dress shirt (tie or sans tie).

On another line we enjoy, there are no formal nights, but rather ‘Elegant Casual’ on all nights except in the buffet area. So of course the discussions are around individual interpretations of what is already clearly spelled out in the description on the company’s website of what that means. A lot of people feel that nice jeans should belong, and a lot of people feel that they shouldn’t. Kind of the same as here on Princess.....meaning, no real agreement. Nor on HAL, etc.

I feel that the whole dress code interpretation on lines is a reflection of the changes in how people dress as a whole - whether cruising or being out at home, So there may never be a consensus of opinion on these boards.

That all said, if given a vote, I would lean away from true formal, and continue to dress up some on ships as I do when going out at home. JMHO

Edited by Vineyard View

...I feel that the whole dress code interpretation on lines is a reflection of the changes in how people dress as a whole - whether cruising or being out at home...if given a vote, I would lean away from true formal, and continue to dress up some on ships as I do when going out at home. JMHO

I would agree with the above. And for what it is worth, I do not feel as though I have to "dress to impress" anybody!

I would agree with the above. And for what it is worth, I do not feel as though I have to "dress to impress" anybody!

Me neither. But there are times that I do like to dress to impress DH ;) And there are times I do like to just to feel good about me.

It certainly doesn't. I will do the final packing for my wife and I, and the same quantity of clothes takes up twice the room for a guy - it is basically a difference in materials, where most guy's clothes take up more volume.

I have learned, however, that my suit (tux doesn't fit anymore) can be carefully folded and put into a flat outer pocket of a carry-on suitcase. Hang it up once onboard and any wrinkles drop out. So I don't buy the excuse some make that they can't bring nice clothes to wear for the occasion because of luggage concerns.

No one really cares if you buy it or not. The fact is that it exist and is real. Enjoy your cruise and dress the way YOU wish as will all others.

Am I reading correctly that on the non-formal evenings that it is considered appropriate to dress super casual in the restaurants? Shorts, T-shirt’s, etc? We don’t normally -never have, but I am curious as it has been several years since we sailed on Princess. I am only curious. Not trying to start any ‘stuff’.

Now you have done it printing the 6 letter S word. ;p They are still outlawed in the MDR at dinner. Tshirts are also allegedly not allowed at dinner but I have seen them - not many - but a few as I have seen the 6 letter S word worn. Non-formal nights pax are expected to wear a collar shirt and pants/jeans for men and something similar for women. Some type of foot covering has to be worn like athletic shoes, sandals and even flip flops just no bare feet. The standards are changing just like the song but have not yet allowed the 6 letter S word. Other times in the MDR for lunch and breakfast the standards are relaxed such that only swim suits are not allowed.

Now you have done it printing the 6 letter S word. ;p They are still outlawed in the MDR at dinner. Tshirts are also allegedly not allowed at dinner but I have seen them - not many - but a few as I have seen the 6 letter S word worn. Non-formal nights pax are expected to wear a collar shirt and pants/jeans for men and something similar for women. Some type of foot covering has to be worn like athletic shoes, sandals and even flip flops just no bare feet. The standards are changing just like the song but have not yet allowed the 6 letter S word. Other times in the MDR for lunch and breakfast the standards are relaxed such that only swim suits are not allowed.

Thank you for the laughs! I loved your post. I have to say that I am very okay with these clarifications. I will certainly steer clear of the 6 letter S word moving forward!😂.

Am I reading correctly that on the non-formal evenings that it is considered appropriate to dress super casual in the restaurants? Shorts, T-shirt’s, etc? We don’t normally -never have, but I am curious as it has been several years since we sailed on Princess. I am only curious. Not trying to start any ‘stuff’.

I know they say no T shirts but I've been wearing them for at least 20 years on casual evenings & never once had a problem getting in the DR.

It's just another example of how they enforce their dress suggestions.

Enjoy.

I feel that the whole dress code interpretation on lines is a reflection of the changes in how people dress as a whole - whether cruising or being out at home, So there may never be a consensus of opinion on these boards.

That all said, if given a vote, I would lean away from true formal, and continue to dress up some on ships as I do when going out at home. JMHO

Ditto X 2. The most significant factor for me is the hassle and expense of packing / schlepping / paying for an extra bag simply to accommodate formal attire. Unless required to enjoy the MDR on "formal" night, I'd prefer to pack lighter and wear resort casual to dinner each night.

Debating what to pack for Hawaii cruise in April. This will be our third time cruising Hawaii and generally it seems to me that people do not dress up as much as on other itineraries.

I know they say no T shirts but I've been wearing them for at least 20 years on casual evenings & never once had a problem getting in the DR.

Enjoy.

various degrees of T-shirts...some long sleeve, some short, some logoed , some Henley types...some 3 for $15? white T's from Hanes

what's your kind? heavy metal concert T?

So I don't buy the excuse some make that they can't bring nice clothes to wear for the occasion because of luggage concerns.

This has never been my excuse for not dressing formally even when we use to fly to board the ships. It's simply because after many years of it being compulsory it's lost it appeal for us.

Now that we drive to most of our cruises I could pack the trunk with as much as we need but have no desire to do so, especially for the enjoyment of others.

Let them get satisfaction of dressing up for themselves.

I prefer a plain, simple logo T shirt. Nothing to loud.

Enjoy.

When we travel we dress casual during the day. Evenings for us on a ship are like going out to dinner when we are home - collared shirt or polo for DH and wearing something a bit nicer from the day for me. I just wasn’t sure what the norm now is on Princess for dressing on casual evenings. It sounds as if there is a wide range of attire. We will just continue with this concept and not worry about it. And as far as formal nights, as I said before, DH will no longer rent a tux. Nor pack a suit. We are good to go.

Edited by Vineyard View