'Dress to Impress' New dress corde?

NSWP

you still dress as you please.

I can't agree with this. There are dress codes. They even exist on land based restaurants. If there is a dress code on a ship, why shouldn't it be enforced? It's not mean.. it's not a rights violation, it's a dress code.

So if a man wants to eat without a shirt that's ok? Or no footwear? The dress codes aren't outrageous and other dinner options are always available. I guess I'm a "rules" guy, and thems to rules. They should either be enforced or changed. Not enforcing them will create issues... if they haven't already.

Vineyard View

That's the part that aggravates me. Just because I don't want to haul fancy clothes to sit and eat dinner in, I probably will lose the opportunity to enjoy lobster, crab and or beef steak. True that we might be offered hamburgers for a dinner meal? As mentioned on the new Ruby menu. Definitely wearing my jeans to that meal. If true, Princess make up your mind, casual or formal.

I don't even know what to say about all this. I will have a couple dresses that will pass without issues - DH will wear dress slacks, dress shirt, & tie on our upcoming West Coast Cruise. If required to enter the MDR he can bring a jacket - but no more renting tuxes. I guarantee you that we will both look very presentable all 7 nights. It’s the jacket piece I can’t figure out from all these posts. I get the rules part - I read them. But are they still to the jacket level or aren’t they? It seems there is No consensus whatsoever. I guess better to be safe than sorry?

I wonder how weddings look these days with people choosing to wear shorts, flip flops and ball caps because it’s their right. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just pop down to any beach here in SoCal and you can check for yourself :cool:

Look, back in the day cruising just as flying, was the preserve of the well-healed. Even I can remember the days when people dressed-up to fly. Now? We're all shoe-horned into coach and we're being nickle and dimed if we try to carry on anything larger than a toothbrush. I've seen "Titanic" - the only way I'd have been able to "cruise" then would be with the poor unfortunates in Steerage.

But now, due to the falling cost, the demographics are changing. I can afford to fly and ** shock-horror ** I can afford to cruise. However, I don't own a tux - just a one suit with interchangeable ties (multi-functional and suitable for weddings, funerals, job interview - scratch the latter, here that's optional, won't do for the MDR since it takes up too much space in my roller-bag), so while I think I dress smart casual for dinner (clean jeans, designer T :eek:), you might think I'm a scruff. However, no one is stopping anyone dressing up if they want to - tux, morning suit and top-hat, ball gown, tiara - just go for it. Equally though a lot of people don't, won't or can't.

We're all on vacation, all on a little R&R and all having a good time (when we're not worrying about those all important first world problems such as the lack of beer choices, the rationing of butter pats or a more than nano-second wait for club class dining). What we choose or choose not to wear for dinner is neither here nor there...

Vineyard View

That's the part that aggravates me. Just because I don't want to haul fancy clothes to sit and eat dinner in, I probably will lose the opportunity to enjoy lobster, crab and or beef steak. True that we might be offered hamburgers for a dinner meal? As mentioned on the new Ruby menu. Definitely wearing my jeans to that meal. If true, Princess make up your mind, casual or formal.

Burgers are on the 'always available' section of MDR menu at dinner, nice too. Just don't spill ketchup on one's tuxedo.:hearteyes:

My final word....again...'if Princess is not going to enforce their formal dress code, get rid of it !!!!!

In today's society, many men no longer own suit jackets, both my sons included. Dh has one, but I don't think it fits anymore. It would be dead weight in the luggage just so he could sit in the dining room, a necessity as he has special dietary needs.

We will continue to pack black slacks, black shirt and a sharp looking tie for formal night. If turned away, I will raise it up the ladder as they are endangering dh's health.

I am in favor of updating the rules to today's society. Men no longer wear tails, cravats or beaver hats either. Times change as do fashions.

I don't even know what to say about all this. I will have a couple dresses that will pass without issues - DH will wear dress slacks, dress shirt, & tie on our upcoming West Coast Cruise. If required to enter the MDR he can bring a jacket - but no more renting tuxes. I guarantee you that we will both look very presentable all 7 nights. It’s the jacket piece I can’t figure out from all these posts. I get the rules part - I read them. But are they still to the jacket level or aren’t they? It seems there is No consensus whatsoever. I guess better to be safe than sorry?

Great point! I can do the same with minimal extra packing. But it is unreasonable to expect my husband to pack and wear a jacket that will only make him uncomfortably warm. He, too, will wear a dress shirt and tie; we always go to the MDR for formal nights and never have an issue.

quote:...

"My final word....again...'if Princess is not going to enforce their formal dress code, get rid of it !!!!!

Yes, but adding...if not going to enforce code consistently...get rid of it.

Great point! I can do the same with minimal extra packing. But it is unreasonable to expect my husband to pack and wear a jacket that will only make him uncomfortably warm. He, too, will wear a dress shirt and tie; we always go to the MDR for formal nights and never have an issue.

So to clarify, your DH sails on Princess, multiple experiences, without jacket and without problems because he has all dress requirements sans jacket?

So to clarify, your DH sails on Princess, multiple experiences, without jacket and without problems because he has all dress requirements sans jacket?

Yes. Most recently a 15 day transatlantic.

When we drive to the port of embarkation, he does bring a suit, but when we fly, he generally does not.

For our upcoming Hawaiian cruise, I'll suggest he bring grey dress slacks and grey tuxedo vest that all the gentlemen wore for our daughter's (Florida) wedding last month. Very little luggage space and looks really sharp. (And not as hot.)

I believe “luggage restrictions” are just an excuse. We have cruised the Baltics and South America where warner clothes and layers are required and I have never had a problem packing my Tux and shoes and all the other clothes I need in one checked bag along with the allowed one carry-on and personal item, my back pack. That being said, it is probably time to do away with formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Its absolutely not an excuse. Ever tried to rent a small car that will traverse Positano streets and get three suitcases and two carry on in it? Or do a pre cruise via train and have two people handle three cases and two carry on and watch for pickpockets at the same time? tons of reasons not to be bogged down with an extra case, not just the cost to check it.

We have been sailing using Club Class on our last few cruises and we have not gone to the dining room on Formal nights due to not choosing to take formal attire. Does anyone know if currently it is acceptable-or at least allowed-for you to use the Club Class dining area without formal clothing on Formal Night. Going on a Trans Atlantic and do not have the space to pack formal so just curious. Seems like the formal thing is beginning to change-per all these posts- and just wanted to make sure before we try to have dinner in there on formal night and get kicked out.

Sans jacket is highly successful. At least on all my cruises on numerous Princess ships.

You've pretty much stated you wear a white shirt & tie & always get in. I guess if it works, it works. I may actually give it a try, as sometimes it can be too hot for a coat.

Just got off the Grand on Sunday and I'm pretty sure Princess does not care what people are wearing. On all nights, including formal, I saw shorts, t-shirts, jeans, concert shirts, sun dresses, track suits etc...all the way up to super fancy couples in tuxes and glittery sequined from head to toe dresses.

I was surprised! I had never been on Princess and my parents told us all about the dress code in the dining room and I stuck too it, although I wasn't dressed super formal on the formal nights, just a nice dress each night. I never wore jeans, shorts, or a t-shirt, although my nieces did a few times. I don't know if them being kids made a difference. My sister also wore flip flops a few times.

I didn't pay too much attention to how anyone else was dressed except on formal night because I thought it strange some men were in jeans and a concert t-shirt.

Just got off the Grand on Sunday and I'm pretty sure Princess does not care what people are wearing. On all nights, including formal, I saw shorts, t-shirts, jeans, concert shirts, sun dresses, track suits etc
Tina in Pinole,

Are you saying that the Maitre D' allowed passengers in shorts, t-shirts, and track suits in to Formal Night ? On the Grand ?

Who was the Maitre D', and who were the Head Waiters? (They all wear gold name tags just below their left shoulders).

Can you reply and verify your report?

If passengers on upcoming Grand itineraries pack only track suits, shorts, and t-shirts, they may be surprised on Formal Night when they get to the MDR.

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

Tina in Pinole,

Are you saying that the Maitre D' allowed passengers in shorts, t-shirts, and track suits in to Formal Night ? On the Grand ?

Who was the Maitre D', and who were the Head Waiters? (They all wear gold name tags just below their left shoulders).

Can you reply and verify your report?

If passengers on upcoming Grand itineraries pack only track suits, shorts, and t-shirts, they may be surprised on Formal Night when they get to the MDR.

Track suit was not on formal night. Shorts, yes. I do not know all the names of the waiters, just reporting what I saw. Definitely jeans too. I noticed it because I thought it was odd. The one time my niece wore shorts we were worried they would make her change, but apparently no one was paying attention.

We have been sailing using Club Class on our last few cruises and we have not gone to the dining room on Formal nights due to not choosing to take formal attire. Does anyone know if currently it is acceptable-or at least allowed-for you to use the Club Class dining area without formal clothing on Formal Night. Going on a Trans Atlantic and do not have the space to pack formal so just curious. Seems like the formal thing is beginning to change-per all these posts- and just wanted to make sure before we try to have dinner in there on formal night and get kicked out.

The Club Class is going to follow the same rules as the MDR since that’s where it is. Whether or not they will alllow you in will depend on the ship and those who run the dining room it appears.

You've pretty much stated you wear a white shirt & tie & always get in. I guess if it works, it works. I may actually give it a try, as sometimes it can be too hot for a coat.

Try it you might like it. By the way I never said I wear a white shirt but a drees shirt. Could be any of a variety of colors. But it is a minor issue.

quote:...

"My final word....again...'if Princess is not going to enforce their formal dress code, get rid of it !!!!!

Yes, but adding...if not going to enforce code consistently...get rid of it.

Correct, consistency, of which currently there is none.:halo:

Just got off the Grand on Sunday and I'm pretty sure Princess does not care what people are wearing. On all nights, including formal, I saw shorts, t-shirts, jeans, concert shirts, sun dresses, track suits etc...all the way up to super fancy couples in tuxes and glittery sequined from head to toe dresses.

After numerous Princess cruises it's something I've never seen on formal nights. Not that it bothers me one bit since I'm only there for the food, nothing more, but it sure is a change from the past.

I'll give it a shot on the Riviera next Jan. It was WAY too hot for a coat in most cases.

You do not need a sport coat or suit. Minimum is a shirt with collar and a pair of pants such as dockers. Some of us have been wearing guayabera shirts (short sleeve) on formal nights for several years now without even a second look by the MDR staff. I forgot last cruise one formal night and wore a pair of dark grey jeans and did not realize it until I was seated waiting for my food.

After numerous Princess cruises it's something I've never seen on formal nights. Not that it bothers me one bit since I'm only there for the food, nothing more, but it sure is a change from the past.

Not sure whether the MDR was mentioned. I've not seen it at night in the MDR, but certainly after dinner I think we've all seen a lot of pax dress down. Crooners was a blast to grab a drink & "drink" in the view of the crowds going by. I have to admit I never saw a variety of dress styles as much as I did on Princess. Everything from the nicest tux, down to some really bad looking bathing suits & t shirts. This is not in the dining room, just around the ship after dinner.