Can 4/5 Star mariners arrange priority tendering for others in group?

Dr.Dobro

I'll step back on the bees nest, as referred to by a prior poster.

I understand that 4 and 5 stars have "earned" certain perks by having cruised so often with HAL. (We're Diamond Plus with RCI) That being said, on a specific cruise, such as a GWV, where the higher tier members are in the vast majority, I believe it's fair for HAL to try to balance access for certain things, specifically tender tickets, to give everyone an equal chance for early tenders especially if there are many tender ports on that cruise.

The 4 and 5 stars have to remember that, for that specific cruise, everyone paid for their cruise based upon cabin category. The 4 and 5 stars receive lots of other perks which should help make up for not being able to automatically get first choice for these tickets. Lower tier passengers have also paid good money for their tours, many of them with private tour companies because they are better or less expensive than the HAL tours. They shouldn't be deprived of the ability for early departure via tender.

I met many 4 and 5 stars on the GWV. Most were great and didn't flaunt their status. However, just as in any group, there were those who were so obnoxiously entitled that it just made me shake my head as I watched them throwing their status around while trying to bully staff or other passengers.

I understand that 4 and 5 stars have "earned" certain perks by having cruised so often with HAL. (We're Diamond Plus with RCI) That being said, on a specific cruise, such as a GWV, where the higher tier members are in the vast majority, I believe it's fair for HAL to try to balance access for certain things, specifically tender tickets, to give everyone an equal chance for early tenders especially if there are many tender ports on that cruise.

The 4 and 5 stars have to remember that, for that specific cruise, everyone paid for their cruise based upon cabin category. The 4 and 5 stars receive lots of other perks which should help make up for not being able to automatically get first choice for these tickets. Lower tier passengers have also paid good money for their tours, many of them with private tour companies because they are better or less expensive than the HAL tours. They shouldn't be deprived of the ability for early departure via tender.

I met many 4 and 5 stars on the GWV. Most were great and didn't flaunt their status. However, just as in any group, there were those who were so obnoxiously entitled that it just made me shake my head as I watched them throwing their status around while trying to bully staff or other passengers.

Quite a few cruise lines give priority tendering to frequent cruisers and suite passengers. In fact I am thinking that at one time this was even done by RCCL (now RCI). On the other hand, just about every cruise line gives tender priority to those who book the cruise line excursions. In one sense this is a form of blackmail....in that if you want to get an early tender you must book our overpriced, overcrowded excursions. Do it on your own and you can wait a few hours. Bottom line is that tender operations often create unhappy cruisers.

Hank

Read this several times, but it still does not make sense nor is even a fair assessment of the perk or the people who chose to earn this voluntary loyalty status. Bottomline: No priorities should be extended for those who arrange private shore excursions and certainly not at the expense of other 4-5 star Mariners.

But I did get a good laugh about your claim 4-5 star Mariners "get lots of other perks". I can also see HAL is going to in a world of hurt trying to respond to a new generation's demands.

Each one of us has been able to take a non 4/5 star person with us for priority tendering. There are times when we wait in a special line until there is room on the tenders when there are HAL tours that are getting off first. We usually do private tours and this works well when are only 4. There is no priority for the return tender.

We have the same perk on Celebrity where we are Elite Plus.

If it was a large group and the majority weren't 4/5 star, I might understand some of the concerns expressed, but the OP is only talking about 2 passengers. Hardly something to get your knickers in a twist over. As others have pointed out, it has been allowed on other cruises, at the discretion of the CD, who is a far better position to judge whether or not it might pose a problem on a given day.

All well and good, but 4-5 star Mariners owe no duty, or quit frankly any extended courtesy, to those who make their own private shore excursion arrangements and therefore request other 4-5 star Marienrs become subservient their chosen departure times. If any 4-5 star Mariners are to make a concession, let it be the ones in this private shore excursion group who have to do the extra waiting.

Well said & spot on, as usual, OlsSalt! (y)(y)(y)

If it was a large group and the majority weren't 4/5 star, I might understand some of the concerns expressed, but the OP is only talking about 2 passengers. Hardly something to get your knickers in a twist over. As others have pointed out, it has been allowed on other cruises, at the discretion of the CD, who is a far better position to judge whether or not it might pose a problem on a given day.

The OP in the one who got their knickers twisted at the thought of having to wait. So be careful when being dismissive about knicker twisting. The official answer cannot be anything other than no. What happens on the ground can remain variable. OP needs to err on the side this cannot be arranged. And be grateful if she finds more flexabiity when onboard.

The OP in the one who got their knickers twisted at the thought of having to wait. So be careful when being dismissive about knicker twisting. The official answer cannot be anything other than no. What happens on the ground can remain variable. OP needs to err on the side this cannot be arranged. And be grateful if she finds more flexabiity when onboard.

The OP was "wondering". That is as far as you can get from "knicker twisting".

Agree. Speaking as one that does private tours, the ones we do are NOT offered by HAL. They are more intensive and longer and, accordingly sometimes you can get things arranged with whomever is in charge of tender tickets.

If it's 2 people (which it usually is if we are short), I don't see a big deal either. Otherwise we go for the tender tickets like everyone else. It's pretty simple, really ;)

My issue is the same as gigianne's on our last cruise. Certain people put their foot down and walked down to the tender, sans ticket and, apparently got on by being adamant. The rule followers were penalized in the process. And in some cases, the 4 and 5*'s got NO priority in the tenders. Sure, we got the orange tickets but we boarded with everyone else.

Priority tendering didn't exist in at least two tender ports IMO.

Agree. Speaking as one that does private tours, the ones we do are NOT offered by HAL. They are more intensive and longer and, accordingly sometimes you can get things arranged with whomever is in charge of tender tickets.

If it's 2 people (which it usually is if we are short), I don't see a big deal either. Otherwise we go for the tender tickets like everyone else. It's pretty simple, really ;)

My issue is the same as gigianne's on our last cruise. Certain people put their foot down and walked down to the tender, sans ticket and, apparently got on by being adamant. The rule followers were penalized in the process. And in some cases, the 4 and 5*'s got NO priority in the tenders. Sure, we got the orange tickets but we boarded with everyone else.

Priority tendering didn't exist in at least two tender ports IMO.

I find that more offensive than a couple of less-than 4* getting off in a pre-arrangement with their group.

I find that more offensive than a couple of less-than 4* getting off in a pre-arrangement with their group.

It was. We were NOT happy campers. :(

Consistency was definitely lacking on the tenders despite talking to the HD in advance (and we are 5*).

OP: You can probably ask once on board about getting your group off as early as possible, but I would not be surprised if the answer is to get your group together as early as possible and arrive at the location tender tickets are being given out.

If there are so a good number of 4/5-Star Mariners, the "priority" tendering is less of a benefit. But that's just because of actual numbers. Like when I went though security in the airport in Montreal once: there were a huge number of people with Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check so that line actually moved slower than the line for people without the pre-clearance credentials. If everyone is special, then no-one is. Exactly my bold

Early independently arranged tours are a risk at tender ports, especially since the ship will always give priority to their own tours and then 4/5-Star Mariners. The truth is independent arrangements made by one group of passengers are no more or less important than independent arrangements made by other passengers.

They take a risk when they book independently and then expect other guests unknown to them to make all smooth for them, at the expense of those they don't often know but to whom they have held themselves out to as 'entitled'.

Didn't mean to step on a bees' nest here.

If there was a group of, say, eight passengers, and my wife and I were the only 4/5 star people, we would not ask. I agree this would be inappropriate.

But if six people in the group are 4/5 star, I think it should not be a big deal to ask to bring along the other two. It would be a courtesy to those six who have earned their status, letting them get their excursion off on time.

How many are in your group?

Didn't mean to step on a bees' nest here.

If there was a group of, say, eight passengers, and my wife and I were the only 4/5 star people, we would not ask. I agree this would be inappropriate.

But if six people in the group are 4/5 star, I think it should not be a big deal to ask to bring along the other two. It would be a courtesy to those six who have earned their status, letting them get their excursion off on time.

A courtesy is to show politeness in one's attitude and behaviour towards others. I fail to see how requesting that someone receive a perk that they are not entitled to and at the expense of others could possibly be seen as polite.

If passengers with priority disembarkation are travelling with passengers without priority, and they wish to travel as a group, the polite thing is for those with priority to wait with those without priority.

It is inappropriate, regardless of the number, as it affects others who are patiently waiting to disembark. So while you think it would not be a big deal, others think that it is. Remember, in all likelihood, you are not the only self-formed group on the ship making this request.

They take a risk when they book independently and then expect other guests unknown to them to make all smooth for them, at the expense of those they don't often know but to whom they have held themselves out to as 'entitled'.

Thank you, s7s, for sharing your spot-on observation! (y)(y)(y)

A courtesy is to show politeness in one's attitude and behaviour towards others. I fail to see how requesting that someone receive a perk that they are not entitled to and at the expense of others could possibly be seen as polite.

If passengers with priority disembarkation are travelling with passengers without priority, and they wish to travel as a group, the polite thing is for those with priority to wait with those without priority.

It is inappropriate, regardless of the number, as it affects others who are patiently waiting to disembark. So while you think it would not be a big deal, others think that it is. Remember, in all likelihood, you are not the only self-formed group on the ship making this request.

A question: I have a higher status than my husband. Should I be "polite" and wait?

Remember, in all likelihood, you are not the only self-formed group on the ship making this request.

Which is why it is usually at the discretion of the CD, depending on the situation. Much better that the decision be made there than on Cruise Critic. :halo:

A question: I have a higher status than my husband. Should I be "polite" and wait?

Depends whether you are sharing the same stateroom and have the same booking number. From HALs website:

“All guests sharing a stateroom as part of the same booking will receive the benefits earned by the guest at the highest Star level. Guests sharing a stateroom under different booking numbers receive individual Star level benefits (this includes 3rd & 4th guest sharing the same stateroom).

In the case of a group where some are priority satus and some are not. The polite, thing to do if the group wishes to remain together is for the priority status people to wait a nd go with the rest of the group. Those with out designated status should not go ahead of those who have priority BUT someone who has earned the priority, is very free to wait for the rest of his/her group and go with them. They do NOT have to go 'priority', IMO Noone is 'cutting the line' yet the group stays together. problem solved.