Glass Blowing on Equinox

Out of Here!

We will be on the August 25, 2018 sailing. I was looking at some of the activities available on sea days. I was wondering if the Glass Blowing "class" was available? I know you have to sign up once on board and attending the demonstration, but looking for more info.

Hot Glass Class

Transform shapeless blobs of molten glass into beautiful artwork and functional tableware. Glassblowing, pioneered during the early Roman Empire, exploits the strong chemical bonds and unusual viscous structure of hot glass.

Now you can learn glassblowing techniques on your next modern luxury cruise vacation. Start your discovery with a mesmerizing hot-glass show on the first day of your sailing.

Then sign up for your 20-minute Hot Glass Class, offered several times during the cruise. Adults and kids are welcome. Just be at least 8 years old-3 if you bring your adult.

You'll work with an instructor in the studio to create your very own sparkling piece, included in the class fee. Choose the colors, then choose from eight enchanting designs that you can make (sizes are approximate):

• Flower (5x10 in. / 13x25 cm) Heart (3x5x2 in. / 9x13x5 cm
  • Ornament (3x5 in. / 9x13 cm) Paperweight (3x4 in. / 8x10 cm)
  • Ruffle Bowl (10x7 in. / 25x18 cm)
  • Starfish (6x2 in. / 15x5 cm)
  • Tumbler (3x5 in. / 9x13 cm)
  • Wave Vase (3x12 in. / 8x30 cm)

When your masterpiece has cooled-which takes a while-we'll wrap it in protective bubbles, ready for your suitcase. Every time you see it, you'll smile and remember your Hot Glass Class on board Celebrity EquinoxSM Celebrity Eclipse® and Celebrity Solstice®

Yes, go to the Hot Glass Studio to sign up.

DH did it recently, not inexpensive but he enjoyed it. He made a vase and I think it cost just over $100. He has been involved in Hot Glass for years but the area we moved to has no Glass studios close so he was glad to have a chance to make something again.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're interested in doing the class, I recommend that you sign up as early as you can. I wanted to do the class but was rather relaxed in my urgency to sign up thinking that there would be plenty of open slots. I was wrong. Their slots filled up and I was out of luck. Lesson learned!! Guess I'll have to book another cruise...;p

Did it on Eclipse. Made a paperweight -- cost was $59. I believe other items are more $$. As someone who has ZERO artistic ability, I liked making something that actually looks decent.

I suggest you observe a session before you sign up -- it takes only 20 minutes and then you can decide if it's for you.

To be fair, you don't do all that much. You start by telling them what you want to make (there are examples of each item you can view) and then choosing your colors. They then pull the hot glass out of the oven. Your role is to help mold it into the right shape by twisting it and then cupping it (you'll understand when you do it).

After you finish, the glass cools for 24 hours and you can pick it up the next day. Be forewarned that what you make will be unique. It may or may not look like the examples, even if you choose the same colors. And, it's hard to tell when you finish how the final product will turn out once it cools. I liked mine but I saw another person who wasn't happy with how her colors turned out (I thought it looked fine, BTW).

Agree that you should sign up early if you're interested, especially if your cruise is port-intensive. It operates only while at sea and some of that is during the dinner hour. So time slots could be limited.

Bottom line: not cheap but something fun to do and take home with you.

DW and I did this on our last Equinox cruise and enjoyed it. My bit of advice is to schedule as early in the morning as possible. Dealing with the hot glass is a warm activity and doing it in the heat of the day would only add to things.