Keeping in touch with outside world

What is best way to keep in touch with family back home while on a cruise without buying Voom package? I’m talking about texting or calling every couple days, it’s a necessity. Will be on a 12 day Caribbean cruise in October, don’t care about internet for any other reason. Is Voom worth it just to check in? What are my options?

What is best way to keep in touch with family back home while on a cruise without buying Voom package? I’m talking about texting or calling every couple days, it’s a necessity. Will be on a 12 day Caribbean cruise in October, don’t care about internet for any other reason. Is Voom worth it just to check in? What are my options?
Just find a free wifi spot when you get in port and do email then. Or you could go to an internet cafe in port. If you have sprint one world you can usually text for free in most of the Caribbean islands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1) use the ship's cell service (call your cell phone company to find out the cost$$$)

2) use the cell service at port, charged according to your cell phone plan

3) find free (be careful, some can be nefarious) or pay wifi in port

4) use the phone in your cabin to call the shore, ask on board the price per minute (likely several dollars)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you have Verizon or AT&T, you can text for $0.50 per text sent, while at sea. Verizon also charges $0.05 per text received. If you have another carrier, contact them for rates while at sea on a cruise ship. These charges are billed by your cell carrier, not the ship.

We have T-Mobile, will call and see what my options are.

You beat me to it!

It's a shame you're not on a 3 contract as the countries around the world that you can use your allowances are numerous and that includes the Caribbean!

Not sure about T mobile, but it may be a deal breaker in the future if you cruise regular!

I hammer mine all the time and i bet they felt it when i cruised around Nz & Oz lol

If you have Verizon or AT&T, you can text for $0.50 per text sent, while at sea. Verizon also charges $0.05 per text received. If you have another carrier, contact them for rates while at sea on a cruise ship. These charges are billed by your cell carrier, not the ship.

Tech clueless here! So I am on Verizon and thought I should be in airplane mode while on the ship. But you cant text in airplane mode. So airplane mode, then turn off all cellular data/ roaming capabilities, then back off AM to send/receive texts???

Tech clueless here! So I am on Verizon and thought I should be in airplane mode while on the ship. But you cant text in airplane mode. So airplane mode, then turn off all cellular data/ roaming capabilities, then back off AM to send/receive texts???

You can text in airplane mode on WiFi.

But I wont be on Wifi on the ship?

If you won't be on WiFi, then you cannot be in Airplane mode. Turn off Airplane mode so you connect to the ship's cell service. It should say something like "Cellular at Sea" on your phone when it's connected to the ship's cell service.

If you won't be on WiFi, then you cannot be in Airplane mode. Turn off Airplane mode so you connect to the ship's cell service. It should say something like "Cellular at Sea" on your phone when it's connected to the ship's cell service.

And that will allow the .50/.05 texts of which you speak? (Told you I was clueless)

I’m clueless too, some great information here. My husband used to have a company phone, he would do some work while at sea and we were able to keep in touch with our daughter at home.

And that will allow the .50/.05 texts of which you speak? (Told you I was clueless)

Yes, but understand that it will allow all texts and phone calls to be received via Cellular at Sea if you take your phone out of airplane mode. Verizon no longer supports data on cruise ships last I checked, but it is best to go to the Verizon Wireless website and use the interactive trip planner to find out the exact costs based on your plan.

T-Mobile

I have T-mobile, so thought I would look online.

T-mobile lists by Ship, and not all RCI ships are listed, but for those that are.

No Data

Tests - $0.50 per outgoing texts, incoming are according to your plan (I am unlimited to no charge.

Calls - $5.99 per minute.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/roaming Scroll down to middle of page.

One thing to watch on ANY phone place, if you connect to the local cellular network, then put your phone in airplane mode or turn it off, you can still end up charges due to incoming calls that go to voice mail. And you may also be paying one-way long distance back to the US, where your voice mail resides.

I do NOT connect to any cellular network where I could incur these charges.

On our last trip I used the Verizon Travel Pass. You pay $10 per day if you use it, meaning if you receive text, call or use data. I loved it. I didn't have to worry about any additional charges if I went over a certain amount. Whatever plan you have at home is what you get. You don't have to call them to turn it on or off, it works once you are outside the US.

On our last trip I used the Verizon Travel Pass. You pay $10 per day if you use it, meaning if you receive text, call or use data. I loved it. I didn't have to worry about any additional charges if I went over a certain amount. Whatever plan you have at home is what you get. You don't have to call them to turn it on or off, it works once you are outside the US.

Does this cover service while at sea?

On our last trip I used the Verizon Travel Pass.

You don't have to call them to turn it on or off, it works once you are outside the US.

I believe that one does need to contact Verizon Wireless initially to set it up. I don't believe that TravelPass enabled by default, and international access in general is usually disabled until you ask for it to be enabled (to reduce the chance of inadvertent/fraudulent charges).

The other thing that I ran into was that I wasn't permitted to enable international access for the first month I was a Verizon Wireless customer.

I believe that one does need to contact Verizon Wireless initially to set it up. I don't believe that TravelPass enabled by default, and international access in general is usually disabled until you ask for it to be enabled (to reduce the chance of inadvertent/fraudulent charges).

The other thing that I ran into was that I wasn't permitted to enable international access for the first month I was a Verizon Wireless customer.

International calling has to be activated on the account for the phone to be used internationally, it costs nothing to activate, the account just has to be in good standing. You do not have to set up Travel Pass prior to traveling, you will receive a text once you enter a covered country and you just respond back that you want to activate Travel Pass. Once you use your phone, the 24 hour period starts. You are only charged for one Travel Pass in 24 hours, so if you use it in one country in the afternoon, you can use it in a different country the next morning without being charged an additional $10. Once you have used a Travel Pass, anytime you use your phone in a Travel Pass country, you will enable a 24 hour Travel Pass until you have cancelled Travel Pass access on your account. This is important to know because if you want to just do a quick pay as you go text for 50 cents, you will automatically charged a Travel Pass instead since it is activated on the account.

Looks to me like my best bet is to tell family at home to text an “all good” message once per day that i will reply to at a set time, then go back to airplane mode. Might be a good break from the constant drama that is my beloved son!!:D