Along Europe’s Western Coast

OneSixtyToOne

We are thinking about booking this re-positioning cruise. It departs Barcelona on April, 25, 2019 and terminates in Copenhagen 15 days later.

Has anyone taken this cruise?

What will the weather and seas be like this time of year?

I also see it is aboard the Viking Jupiter, which appears to be a new ship. I don't see any threads for it in the roll call section.

The Jupiter is the 6th ship and floated out on May 10th. It is currently completing the fitting out and is scheduled for completion & delivery in early 2019.

Anytime you pass through the Straights of Gibraltar and head up through the Atlantic to Bay of Biscay, the weather can be somewhat challenging. However, at the end of April you have a better chance of smoother seas than Jan/Feb. We did the West Coast in July 2015 to Southampton and had 20 - 25 kt winds and low/moderate seas.

This is a new cruise in 2019 so no reviews. We booked this cruise, and I did start a roll call. Several people have said that the Bay of Biscay can be a "rough patch" of water, but the whole cruise sounds really good so we are looking forward to it.

This is a new cruise in 2019 so no reviews. We booked this cruise, and I did start a roll call. Several people have said that the Bay of Biscay can be a "rough patch" of water, but the whole cruise sounds really good so we are looking forward to it.

Can you post a link to the roll call? I can’t find it.

Hey guys. Still thinking about our Alla tour in st Petersburg. I'm looking at a cruise for the "outside of Europe" so do keep posting about those conditions so I can be ready when the time comes.

We did Barcelona to Stockholm in 2017 and loved it. The seas were really really rough in the Bay of Biscay but we were fine. We don't get seasick. They were handing out ginger ale all over the ship and our room stewards got sick, but we were fine. Our room stewards took all of the glass (soap holders, glasses, etc,) and put it into the refrigerator so that it wouldn't break. The lady at the table next to us in the World Cafe jumped up and vomited in the aisle, but her husband and mine and I just keep eating while they brought the hazmat team in. The ship was definitely up and down and clunk clunk clunk but it was only for a day and a half. The pools and the spa pool were empty for more than that. I thought that they should have filled the spa pool earlier than they did, but that's just me. All of the shows were canceled and the entertainers in the Atrium could not perform either. Our call at Porto was canceled. BUT....that was only a few days out of a wonderful 3 week trip. Weather can't be controlled, and we had a wonderful time. I do have pics from up in the Explorers Lounge...I was sitting by the fire and looking out front I could see the sky....then just the sea...then the sky!! You will have a great time!!!

PS Loved Alla in St Petersburg!! Booked the 2 day tour for 6 of us. Great tour, private, customizable, and much cheaper than Viking.

It's a bit 'luck of the draw' with the BoB - we've never had a really rough crossing of the BoB.

We have had an 'epic' time though in the Celtic Sea heading towards the BoB, and the captain commented that the situation was 'at it's limits' whatever that means - but it wasn't a Viking cruise.

We've even had a bumpy ride in the Pacific - but we must've been just plain lucky with the BoB, and we must've have done more than a dozen BoB crossings.

Hey guys. Still thinking about our Alla tour in st Petersburg. I'm looking at a cruise for the "outside of Europe" so do keep posting about those conditions so I can be ready when the time comes.

Check out the new this year itinerary "Trade Routes of the Middle Ages". There have been two sailings so far, and we are looking forward to our turn this October. As this will be just our second ocean cruise, I am a little nervous about the the Bay of Biscay weather, but fingers are crossed! Our first cruise was a nice mild weather eastern Mediterranean trip, so I am hoping for a repeat of that experience.

We get our turn with Alla in St. Petersburg with a three day stay during Russia and the Baltic Sea in 2019. I always am grateful to the advice I have picked up on this site, and I expect that tour to be a real highlight.

Edited by lackcreativity

Doing this cruise (Along Europe's Western Coast) next year. I am taking my mother and sister and neither of them have been on a cruise before. My mother has never been to Europe. I have my fingers crossed we enjoy calm seas because our traveling party is already a neurotic bunch without rough seas.

It will be an interesting experience.;p

Jeffrey

Doing this cruise (Along Europe's Western Coast) next year. I am taking my mother and sister and neither of them have been on a cruise before. My mother has never been to Europe. I have my fingers crossed we enjoy calm seas because our traveling party is already a neurotic bunch without rough seas.

It will be an interesting experience.;p

Jeffrey

I just looked at the itinerary. What a great introduction to cruising.

You will be in Spain, just after Easter. There are various ferias in Spain in the spring. The one in Sevilla is the big one but most cities and towns have them, so check the calendars for the various ports to see if you will be there during feria. You will either want to avoid the crowds like the plague or else you will be yelling, "Where's the fair grounds."

From Malaga, either take the Viking trip to Granada or else look into hiring a guide to take you to the Alhambra. If you are working with a guide, tell him that you want to see both the Generalife and Alhmabra palaces so that they can get the right timing on the ticket. Then arrange for lunch at one of the restaurants near Mirador San Nicolas that has a view of the Alhambra from the other side of the valley. Finally, if you have time before you have to head back to the ship, check out La Capilla Real and the place in the city for souvenir shopping the Alcaiceria which is just across the alley from the chapel.

Paris is a four hour train ride each way from Le Havre.

We just took the plunge and booked this trip. Hopefully we’ll have smooth sailing.

We took the Paris and Normandy VRC last year (and Paris to the Swiss Alps VRC this year). IMO Paris is too far away to warrant the day trip. You will be on a coach or train most of the day with only about 3 hours in Paris. Our time will better be spent in Rouen. The cathedral there contains the remains of Viking kings and their descendants including the heart of Richard the Lionhearted. We also took the optional tour to Honfleur. It is a remarkable Norman seaside town. It has the oldest wooden church in France.

When you get off the ship in LeHavre there are taxis and tour guides for hire. We hired a taxi to take us to Honfleur. He was great, took us around, then we wandered by ourselves and met up with him for our ride back. Much better than a big bus tour and cheaper.

The itinerary is identical to this year’s Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, except for the final stop (Trade Routes ends in Norway rather than Denmark).

We did Trade Routes this past April, and I wrote a wordy review of it here: Review: Viking Sky, Trade Routes of the Middle Ages

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2635155 The first half is about the ship (Viking Sky, but they’re all practically interchangeable) and the second is about the excursions we took.

It’s a wonderful itinerary, and we were lucky with the weather. The only real rain we had was in Norway, and temperatures were moderate. The Bay of Biscay was a bit rough but we got by with ginger capsules and a good attitude. And we were able to dock at Porto.

We had a marvelous time, and I’m sure you will, too.

When you get off the ship in LeHavre there are taxis and tour guides for hire. We hired a taxi to take us to Honfleur. He was great, took us around, then we wandered by ourselves and met up with him for our ride back. Much better than a big bus tour and cheaper.

We plan to go to Honfleur, and may just pay for the convenience of the Viking excursion if it is still available when booking opens up for our Veranda class of cabin. Did you have any prior arrangement with a taxi, or did you just walk off and hire one on the day you were in port?

I just looked at the itinerary. What a great introduction to cruising.

You will be in Spain, just after Easter. There are various ferias in Spain in the spring. The one in Sevilla is the big one but most cities and towns have them, so check the calendars for the various ports to see if you will be there during feria. You will either want to avoid the crowds like the plague or else you will be yelling, "Where's the fair grounds."

From Malaga, either take the Viking trip to Granada or else look into hiring a guide to take you to the Alhambra. If you are working with a guide, tell him that you want to see both the Generalife and Alhmabra palaces so that they can get the right timing on the ticket. Then arrange for lunch at one of the restaurants near Mirador San Nicolas that has a view of the Alhambra from the other side of the valley. Finally, if you have time before you have to head back to the ship, check out La Capilla Real and the place in the city for souvenir shopping the Alcaiceria which is just across the alley from the chapel.

Thanks Peregrina

I wish your where on the trip so we could pick your brain.

Peregrina,

Off topic. Just returned from Viking cruise with 10 post days in England. In Bath toured the Roman Baths and now know what your moniker means as we read about the Roman Peregrinus, the traveler. Makes me curious about the 651.:D

Peregrina,

Off topic. Just returned from Viking cruise with 10 post days in England. In Bath toured the Roman Baths and now know what your moniker means as we read about the Roman Peregrinus, the traveler. Makes me curious about the 651.:D

Another meaning of the root is pilgrim, which was the street I lived on (I live in New England; there's a Pilgrim in almost every town). The digits are a riff on my phone number. Only after I chose the moniker did I realize all the secondary meanings for one who wants to travel as much as I do.

The seas were really really rough in the Bay of Biscay but we were fine. We don't get seasick. They were handing out ginger ale all over the ship and our room stewards got sick, but we were fine.

I just read Canada Dry is being sued because their ginger ale contains no ginger and their advertising suggests it does.

http://fortune.com/2018/07/31/canada-dry-ginger-lawsuit/