Unaccompanied minor

Chief93

In what kind of scenario would you foresee them not being allowed back into the country?

Bill

Any reason they want. I'm simply pointing out what happened to me and the problems it would have caused if I didn't have the proper documentation. Thus, I always travel with what's required/advised and encourage others to do the same.

Except that the paperwork is not a requirement. So, sure, it’s possible that a mom and her 10 year old may not be able to get on the ship for no reason other than the whim of an agent.

But they can also deny my boarding for any reason they choose. People should live their lives the way they want. If my wife was out of the picture for years, I’d go in the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually it can be a requirement depending on what country your cruise is travelling to. Different countries have different laws. And if you want to be assured that you are allowed off the ship somewhere you need to follow those laws. It doesn’t matter what the law in the US is.

For example if you are visiting Canada or Mexico you must follow their laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And when would customs ask? When you get back from the trip? And what are they going to ask? Where is the father/mother?

Unless they have a reason to ask, I wouldn’t worry about a parent who is literally not in the picture. But I understand that’s just me. If someone wants to get paperwork, that’s fine. I just wouldn’t go out of my way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The US government does fine cruise lines when they find the cruise lines allowed guests to sail with improper ID. So, after the US Citizen is on their way home after their vacation on an expired ID, Customs can double down on the cruise line, require additional paperwork, submit a plan of correction, pay $$ and find an increased amount of full immigration reviews on crew.

Any reason they want. I'm simply pointing out what happened to me and the problems it would have caused if I didn't have the proper documentation. Thus, I always travel with what's required/advised and encourage others to do the same.

I was asking because i would think that if they had the proper documentation to board the ship what would change over the course of the cruise to not allow them back into the country.

Since they usually want this documentation to prevent child kidnappings I wouldn't think there would be a risk of that coming back into the country.

The US government does fine cruise lines when they find the cruise lines allowed guests to sail with improper ID. So, after the US Citizen is on their way home after their vacation on an expired ID, Customs can double down on the cruise line, require additional paperwork, submit a plan of correction, pay $$ and find an increased amount of full immigration reviews on crew.

does this happen often where they let people board without proper documentation?

I've read numerous stories about this but the cruise line has always erred on the side of caution and denied boarding in any story I have read.

Bill

I've called my PVP but she is off today. I've looked at both the Carnival and Homeland Security websites. Both say that if only one parent is travelling on a cruise with a minor, it is "advisable" to have a note from the non-travelling parent.

Here's my deal, one of my four cabins on the upcoming cruise is a mother with a 10 year old. The father left them. Hasn't been seen in years. But, they are stilled married. Any idea what documentation she needs?

They will need his birth certificate. Nothing else is required for a 10 yr old.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was asking because i would think that if they had the proper documentation to board the ship what would change over the course of the cruise to not allow them back into the country.

Since they usually want this documentation to prevent child kidnappings I wouldn't think there would be a risk of that coming back into the country.

does this happen often where they let people board without proper documentation?

I've read numerous stories about this but the cruise line has always erred on the side of caution and denied boarding in any story I have read.

Bill

Based on anecdotal information, it happens occasionally. Remember terminal crew checking in passengers aren't Carnival employees and by personal observation, not the sharpest tools. They are haphazard at best screening luggage so I don't put that much faith in them following requirements for documentation.

If my wife were out of picture for years, I’d go in the cruise.

And if my wife were out of the picture for years, I'd get a freaking divorce! (That's not the question here, but I do wonder why the mom is still married to the missing dad.)

They will need his birth certificate. Nothing else is required for a 10 yr old.

agreed but more documentation is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended in this situation as has been posted a few times

Hard to serve papers to someone no one can find.

That’s why the courts have thins to deal with this. You just have to show you made attempts to find the person. If the person can’t be found the courts will grant a divorce and award custody without the other parent being present.

That’s why the courts have thins to deal with this. You just have to show you made attempts to find the person. If the person can’t be found the courts will grant a divorce and award custody without the other parent being present.

Our local newspapers post Probate Court terminating parental rights for disappeared parents frequently. Some judges advise against it since it would eliminate the option for the minor child to collect on that parent's Social Security Survivors benefits should they die or become disabled. (The pisspoor DNA donor does not need to grant permission for this).

For those of you that are so insistent that they NEED proper documentation for a mother to travel with a child without the father - exactly what documentation are you suggesting she get if she has no contact with the father?

Yes, ideally she would get a note but that doesn’t appear to be an option here. I suppose getting a divorce and full custody granted (I don’t think you can file for full custody when you are still married to the father), but that’s a large time and money commitment which may or may not even be feasible to be done in time depending on when the cruise is.

For those of you that are so insistent that they NEED proper documentation for a mother to travel with a child without the father - exactly what documentation are you suggesting she get if she has no contact with the father?

Yes, ideally she would get a note but that doesn’t appear to be an option here. I suppose getting a divorce and full custody granted (I don’t think you can file for full custody when you are still married to the father), but that’s a large time and money commitment which may or may not even be feasible to be done in time depending on when the cruise is.

You go to court, file for divorce, the court attempts to find the other parent, legal notices are posted, no one responds and the court awards full custody to the parent and grants the divorce. Similar proceeding for child whose parents were not married. There is no good reason not to sever a toxic relationship unless one is trying to make it easy for the other person to return. Why put your children in legal limbo? In states with grandparents' rights, you could be leaving yourself open to them wanting access and if something happens to the custodial parent, the absentee parent or their parents could contest for custody.

You go to court, file for divorce, the court attempts to find the other parent, legal notices are posted, no one responds and the court awards full custody to the parent and grants the divorce. Similar proceeding for child whose parents were not married. There is no good reason not to sever a toxic relationship unless one is trying to make it easy for the other person to return. Why put your children in legal limbo? In states with grandparents' rights, you could be leaving yourself open to them wanting access and if something happens to the custodial parent, the absentee parent or their parents could contest for custody.

1. You aren’t in any position to give legal advise to someone you don’t know. There may be factors here you are unaware of

2. Again, most likely this will take some time and they may not have time before the cruise

1. You aren’t in any position to give legal advise to someone you don’t know. There may be factors here you are unaware of

2. Again, most likely this will take some time and they may not have time before the cruise

Carnival has every right to deny them boarding if they don't have the proper documentation. Carnival told OP it was advisable to have certain documentation. Anyone who would suggest otherwise is irresponsible. It might cost time and money to get the documentation, but without it, they could be out the time and money spent on the cruise.

Actually getting all the proper things worked out with custody etc is the responsible thing to do. And if as a parent you haven’t gotten around to it then you have to deal with the consequences of that. And part of those consequences is restrictions on travel. I’m saying this as a parent who took my time getting the legal paper work sorted out when I split from my first husband. For several years I knew I was restricted on where I could travel (out of country). But that was my fault, nobody else’s.

If as a single parent you want to take the risk and travel without it fine. But don’t complain or whine about not being allowed to go, or how it will take too long etc.

I routinely travel with my son who would fall into this category. I do have a notorized document.

The ONLY time anything was said was at an airport check in flying to Europe. DS was 12 and they asked him if I was his mom.. I found this very interesting but said absolutely nothing.

That being said divorcing one who isn’t around is tough. If she can it would be best to take the steps just to prevent a situation. Or at least have paperwork showing she is taking the steps.

If I recall this became an issue bc of non custodial parents leaving the country with children

Then they need to get their priorities in order. If there is a parent who can reappear at anytime and upend a kid's life because they are considered an equal parent with equal rights under the law, then the responsible parent needs to protect them.

Bingomamma19.....did your daughter get the passport card without her father?....my daughter had to jump through a lot of hoops to get her ex to coopetate with showing up for her son's renewal..his original was as an infant so it was like starting over....

Luckily there was a month that he was in a decent mood and agreed to go get the passport card with me.

So yes, he was there for that. Now it is good until after she is 16, and at 16 you don't need the other parent to be there.

At this point, he is nowhere and never contacts us. Doesn't stop us from traveling at all.

Carnival doesn't. Customs does. Some parents do not have permission to leave the country with their child. It would be easy to disguise a parental kidnapping as a cruise vacation, get off the ship and not return.

It is sad :(, but you are correct my friend. In today's society this probably happens more times then not. I not sure if going on a cruise and disappearing, or flying off to some island is tops on the leader board, but it does happen.

OP, Please come back and tell us what your pvp says.

PVP said it won't be a problem as long as the child has a birth certificate.

Also, it was never my intention to start a three page argument about the responsibilities of separated parents. Please note that this issues crosses several state and national borders. Some countries do not recognize divorces that are granted in other countries.

But the divorce is automatically granted after attempts to find them!

As far as the proper documentation goes. I am a single mom and we took our first cruise in feb. I called carnival and they said that you don't have to have a notarized letter from the other parent but they recommend it. I had to bit the bullet and ask my ex husband to do so. Let me tell you this was not a easy task. He is pretty much absent from their lives. Went on our cruise and they did not ask me once for the letter. Now I don't know if it is because I have the same last name as my kids.

I have also heard that if your last name is not the same as your birth certificate you need to bring in your marriage lisc. So I even had a copy of that.

I have heard more then once people that were denied boarding because of improper documentation......I did everything I could to avoid that.