Help with Splendor info please

wemjam

We have just booked our first West Coast cruises. Decided to shake it up a bit.

I am however trying to plan and figure out the best way to go to the port and I am really confused. We are flying into LAX and will stay at a hotel close by the airport for the night. Normally out of Florida we just take an uber or taxi, but wondering if I should get Carnival's transfers this time as it seems very confusing

Confused because I guess there is 2 ports in the area Long Beach and San Pedro, and I am getting conflicting info on exactly where to go for the Splendor, and also how long it will take to get there.

I was told by Carnival it sails out of the Queen Mary terminal at 231 Windsor Way Long Beach, but hotels I am talking to stay that they thought Carnival sailed out of San Pedro.

Help please ;p

The hotels are wrong, Wemjam . . . Carnival sails out of Long Beach (used to sail out of San Pedro years ago). The Windsor address you have is correct, right next to the Queen Mary. Depending on how many there are in your party, the Carnival transport from LAX makes the most sense as a cab ride would be about 45 minutes and expensive.

When you go on Carnival's web site to book a cruise and select Splendor as the ship you will see that all of the currently available sailings are sailing out of Long Beach.

We have used Prime Time Shuttle to take us round trip between the airport and the port because they are less expensive than Carnival.

If you rent a car from Hertz you can turn it in at the downtown Long Beach location and they will shuttle you to the ship.

Thank you all for the confirmations. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried an Uber for this trip.

I used an Uber estimator and it shows from the hotel (right by the airport) to the 231 Windsor Way address as being about $30-$40. Return to Airport (at end of cruise) shows about $40-$45.

Carnival's transfers appear to be $30.00 per person each way (so $120 total round trip for 2). Seems Uber is less expensive and it would be just the two of us on our time (instead of waiting for the busload of people).

Just wondering if these estimates seem to be accurate based on first-hand experience.

I would say it would be depend on the time of day and day of the week. If it is a weekend, then that should be pretty accurate. During the week our traffic runs 5am - 9am and 3pm - 7pm lol Luckily, I don't have to fly in for Long Beach as it is down the street :) Look at flights coming into Long Beach as well .

I would say it would be depend on the time of day and day of the week. If it is a weekend, then that should be pretty accurate. During the week our traffic runs 5am - 9am and 3pm - 7pm lol Luckily, I don't have to fly in for Long Beach as it is down the street :) Look at flights coming into Long Beach as well .

Thanks, I did see Long Beach would be better location wise for sure. But the flights for me are like $300 more per person! OUCH ! :eek:

Yes it would be a Saturday mornind around 9:30-10am and then return Saturday around 9am I would expect that time range. Not during rush hour I would imagine

Carnival sails out of Long Beach. They're probably confused because Princess sails out of San Pedro and is owned by the same company.

As for transportation I break down your options here but I generally find in LA an airport shuttle to be a good option. Even include a little trick if your hotel has an airport shuttle...

[YOUTUBE]PqNgBjVVGkg[/YOUTUBE]

West Coast Departure Board has lots of info about transportation and hotels.

There’s nothing really around LAX except for strip malls and strip clubs. It’s best to get close to port in the evening. It can take anywhere from 30minutes to two hours or more to get to The Dome any time of day or night.

Many pax stay at the Queen Mary or Hotel Maya.

For comparison

Taxis run about $75 metered

Execucar (SuperShuttles black car) runs around $55.

Shuttles are around $17pp shared (includes tour of the LA area :) )

Have heard that Uber and Lyft are about $40-$56, depending on how many there are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Splendor sails out of Long Beach. We use Super Shuttle from LAX to the port, it’s $19.95 per person. The ride with minimal traffic is about 40 minutes. But we all know LA traffic, it could take a lot longer. It took us about 50 minutes the last time we went. I would go directly to a hotel in Long Beach, settle in for the night and have a short ride to the port cruise morning. Check the West Coast board for hotel recommendations.

We are sailing with Splendor in Oct. We are booked at what used to be called Hotel Maya, but is a Hilton now. It's the only one there so can't miss. It is right next to the CCL dock and they will shuttle you to the ship.

The others have good ideas Hope you can get a hotel nearby. Traffic can be brutal.. We are coming from San Diego the day before for that reason. There are 5 of us, and it takes forever to get us all in gear.:D

Patti

I am however trying to plan and figure out the best way to go to the port and I am really confused. We are flying into LAX and will stay at a hotel close by the airport for the night. Normally out of Florida we just take an uber or taxi, but wondering if I should get Carnival's transfers this time as it seems very confusing

Confused because I guess there is 2 ports in the area Long Beach and San Pedro, and I am getting conflicting info on exactly where to go for the Splendor, and also how long it will take to get there.

I was told by Carnival it sails out of the Queen Mary terminal at 231 Windsor Way Long Beach, but hotels I am talking to stay that they thought Carnival sailed out of San Pedro.

Help please ;p

Since others have given you the needed info regarding the port and transportation, I'll just make a suggestion.

Stay in Long Beach, not near LAX.

1) The airplane noise is crazy! We slept horribly.

2) One accident between LAX and LB can really foul up your cruise plans.

We have stayed at the Hotel Maya and the Hilton Long Beach. Both were fine properties and quick taxi rides to the port.

Have you decided on excursions yet? Happy to offer suggestions if you'd like.

Splendor is my second favorite ship after Miracle and I LOVE Mexican Riviera, but for the six hour flights in either direction.

Have a great cruise!

Help please ;p

Long beach is correct, can't you fly into LGB airport? Much easier.

Long beach is correct, can't you fly into LGB airport? Much easier.

My DW and I wanted to do the same thing, but from Detroit DTW to LGB there is was no straight flights. In fact, the lay over......you guessed it LAX:eek:. This is coming from DTW so it could be different from other regions. So getting out of the airport was the worst part. The drive along the 405 down to Long Beach around 6pm was a bit challenging, but not real bad. So I to, suggest you take the ride down to Long Beach and stay there because you just never know.