Tipping in Concierge Club and Diamond Club

Like others have said, I tip according to service. One time had a server they hardly paid attention to us so I hardly paid him. The last cruise our group had a great server. Not sure what everyone else in our group gave but I'm pretty sure he took $300 or more in tips for a 4 day cruise. He earned it.

I have found giving a dollar a drink the best way so every server who gets our drinks benefits.

Exactly how we do it. Round of two drinks...two bucks waiting for the waiter as he/she shows up with them. Works best for us...and they know after the first night that whomever gets to us first...gets the tip right away.

Exactly how we do it. Round of two drinks...two bucks waiting for the waiter as he/she shows up with them. Works best for us...and they know after the first night that whomever gets to us first...gets the tip right away.
That was my reasoning too.

On Independence in May we sat in DL overflow in Olive& Twist lounge and had at least 5 different servers in 5 days.IMG_20180531_200555.thumb.jpg.91ba9c3d271430ebeff20c65351821d2.jpg

We used to wait until the end to tip the bar waiters in the lounge, but too many times someone else was in their place the last night. We have gone to tipping with every drink now so we make sure they receive it. We tip the Concierge the last day. Depends on how much he has done for us. Our last cruise he was excellent with both the pre-cruise requests and the requests we made during the cruise, so we gave him much more than usual.

We used to wait until the end to tip the bar waiters in the lounge, but too many times someone else was in their place the last night. We have gone to tipping with every drink now so we make sure they receive it. We tip the Concierge the last day. Depends on how much he has done for us. Our last cruise he was excellent with both the pre-cruise requests and the requests we made during the cruise, so we gave him much more than usual.
That was our experience too.

Another time I gave the first waiter $10 and he didn't give us any service and it was the concierge on Vision out of Dubai who got most of our drinks after that.

Some people on European cruises don't tip even on the last night and my dollar a drink is met with surprise by grateful servers in Europe.

We tip $1 per drink and if we have the same waiter most of the time, we tip additionally at the end of the cruise. If the Concierge does something for us, we tip him/her more at the end of the cruise than we would have had he/she not done anything.

Our last cruise on Allure, the Concierge has done nothing for us and has been seated at her desk the entire time except for the night before last when she walked around in the lounge. We still planned to tip her, but again, the last night she was sitting at her desk chatting with some passengers. We waited a few minutes to be able to give her her tip, but she and the others kept chatting so we left.

The cruise before that I went to the lounge when the Concierge was on duty to ask her about show reservations as we missed our time to see Ocean Aria. She said the show was full and that was it. She asked me why I wasn't in the lounge during Happy Hour and I explained I was with my son and his wife who weren't Diamond members. She told me they were welcome to come in one night with me. We did go to the lounge the next night, but it was so crowded, there were no seats so we left. I still did tip her at the end because she made the offer even though it didn't work out.

One or two dollars per drink.

….in addition to the cost of an unlimited beverage package an 18% service charge per day is added. In the clubs are we talking about an additional one or two dollars per drink on top of that?

We give $1 everytime the server bring us a drink and then we give tips at the end of the week to the servers we use. We've had the same server all week on several cruises. But, even tips collected are supposed to be pooled. Back when we sailed on Explorer out of NJ and they didn't have a DL yet, but used the room off the VCL, they always put every tip in a shared container that sat on the counter near their wine set up. It was only beer, wine and soda in Diamond events every evening, with no food.

….in addition to the cost of an unlimited beverage package an 18% service charge per day is added. In the clubs are we talking about an additional one or two dollars per drink on top of that?

As far as I know they don't calculate each drink served in the lounges with 18% to give the servers. They don't track drinks that way. The servers only get tips that are given directly to them.

Yes.

Whenever I get a free drink I give $1 per drink tip every time.

We give $1 everytime the server bring us a drink and then we give tips at the end of the week to the servers we use. We've had the same server all week on several cruises. But, even tips collected are supposed to be pooled. Back when we sailed on Explorer out of NJ and they didn't have a DL yet, but used the room off the VCL, they always put every tip in a shared container that sat on the counter near their wine set up. It was only beer, wine and soda in Diamond events every evening, with no food.
They used to put a container of nuts on our table during the Diamond event.

They used to put a container of nuts on our table during the Diamond event.

We got the mix with nuts in the plastic container that they handed out in the VKC also. A far cry from the apps they put out now.

Yes.

Whenever I get a free drink I give $1 per drink tip every time.

Absolutely agree but for me a drink in a lounge won't be free. It simply will be included in a $50 dollar a day beverage package charge, whether it's my first drink of the day or my last..

Absolutely agree but for me a drink in a lounge won't be free. It simply will be included in a $50 dollar a day beverage package charge, whether it's my first drink of the day or my last..

However, in the lounge they do not scan your Seapass card and have no way of knowing that you have a drink package. Also you will find a selection of drinks - not necessarily "all" drinks that would be available at a regular bar; mostly simple cocktails, 2-3 wines or beers, no frozen drinks, etc.

In the diamond lounge aways $5 when first two drinks arrive. Usually another $5 if we get cocktails or wine on the way out to dinner. If using the vouchers $2 or $3 every other drink or taking a double pour of wine to dinner. Gave the waiter in the main theater $5 for 2 gin and tonics, he came back 10 minutes later just as the show was starting with 2 more gin and tonics and didn't even take our seapass card. The only exception was a few years back on the Mariner transatlantic. We were in the lounge every night, had the same waiter serving us every night, he was bring my wife specialty martinis all night, last night I gave him a $100.00 bill and could tell by the look on his face that he was disappointed, ever since then it is a few dollars every few rounds and they seem happy.

If he was from the UK (like me), I suspect he thought you had given him one dollar, not 100! Don’t all your banknotes look the same?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The discussion is about tipping in the concierge lounge and the diamond lounge during the free happy hour period. Those drinks are free and are limited to certain brands of alcohol. People tend to tip $1 per drink.

I think you are referring to drinking in other venues, with your drink package.

We got the mix with nuts in the plastic container that they handed out in the VKC also. A far cry from the apps they put out now.

But it was still great fun and loved the event. It was before they added Diamond Lounges, to appease the Diamonds they tossed out of the CL years ago.

The best one for me IMHO was on Freedom. It was a great turn out and we

met a lot of wonderful people. Wonderful memories. :)

Also great times on Jewel, where they held "the event" in the old Cigar Bar...which is now the CL on Radiance class ships.

I believe Graham is talking about the free drinks in the Concierge Lounge and the Diamond Lounge during happy hour.