Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi JP, have fun with your family.:classic_smile:....your day is totally opposite of mine.  Just me here...…..not even making

anything holiday today. Watching Soaps and football.

I guess bruising is normal...….after all, he had to cut...……….just didn't realize what it was

going to look like after the fact. Black/Purple/Blue/Green....hopefully it will lessen.

Can I safely translate an excursion requirement "bring a towel from the ship" to "Silversea will cover this" and so no need to pack a couple towels from home?

I'm wondering what other ways an Alaskan cruise experience might not prepare one for a cruise in the Caribbean...  We have taken frequent land trips there.

Hoping that all is well with everyone.  Sad news today from London and The Hague.

• Like 1

Hi folks.....been a trying couple of days..:classic_sad:...had to take some of the pain meds but I guess that is what they

are for.  I have been icing the area down....it hasn't spread but it doesn't look like it has lessened a whole lot.

I have been napping a lot.  And the kicker, first, the Dr's office said no shower until after my first post op

visit which is Tuesday but the hospital said I could shower after 48 hours. I would have taken it today but

not sure I should do it.:classic_wacko:.....the tapes are going to get wet.....I guess when you haven't gone through

something like this you don't know the exact stuff that is supposed to happen.

Any advice?  Oh, I meant to say the bruising has not spread.

My medical experience was a long time ago when I graduated from college with a BS in Medical Technology and worked for 2 and a half years in Microbiology in a hospital lab, with fill in for the rest of the lab as needed.

If my doctor's office said no shower until the post-op check, then I'd go with that over the hospital's opinion. I would use some Wet One wipes in certain areas away from the bandaged area, but I would not take a shower that wet down the bandage until after the doctor rechecked it.

I'm not a doctor, but I have worked in a hospital and  I would always take my doctor's recommendation over the hospital's.

Hi coolers - we survived the weekend relatively intact and sent everyone home a few hours ago. They had to get an early start because of the impending storm. We braved the grocery store madness a little while ago, and now we are hunkered down awaiting the storm in a few hours. 

The weekend was loud, chaotic, and insane but we had a really fun time and enjoyed seeing everyone. We ate lots of good stuff and the meals came together nicely. Some leftovers but not too many, which is good. I have never washed so many dishes in my life - and that's despite the fact that we made the kids eat off disposable plates!

So, maybe we will do it again in a few years... The little kids are quite a bunch of characters, and for the most part they enjoyed playing with their cousins while we adults all hung out and enjoyed each other's company.

We put up a Christmas tree but didn't have time to decorate it. In retrospect that's probably better, because the thought of six kids running around with Christmas ornaments is a bit scary. We got the lights up though so now we can finish decorating at our leisure. In between lounging in the hot tub, and sipping wine, of course!

Luckily we remembered to take a nice group shot before everyone left this morning. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone. Lois, hope that you continue to mend.

• Like 2

A few pics from the weekend. Two of the youngest nieces having a good time, undoubtedly planning something that was no good.

20191201_081653.thumb.jpg.c5d284c97acb86ad35998d44cb6df5b4.jpg

The storm started around 3PM. We were cozy inside, so no worries. Lucky that the landscaper was by yesterday to finish the fall clean up.

20191201_140217.thumb.jpg.0d07e7f8206e213daf3df7f8baf6033e.jpg

Time for a roaring fire! 

20191201_152606.gif.753521de7364d4d37dd716e17907f5af.gif

And a little Christmas music. Now the tree is finished! 

20191201_175706.thumb.jpg.ae5ed711633cc35de22208f54dfe7685.jpg

After all that work, I think we deserve a splash of wine in the hot tub. Or a bottle. We will see.

Edited by jpalbny
GIF
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I didn't shower...…...did a wonderful sponge bath LOL...….I did wash my hair in the sink. That felt pretty good.

I definitely would have washed my hair in the sink. Nothing's worse than dirty hair. 

We were hit by Hurricane Irma in 2017, and while our condo mostly landscape damage outside, we were without electricity for 5 days. On the 10th floor, there's no water without electricity to pump it up. We had filled the "garden tub" with water before the storm. We also tested it to see if it leaked, and it did, so we a used a bead of silicone around the drain to prevent the water from leaking out. After a few days without AC,  we had walked up and down 10 floors a number of times. The toilets worked for the first 2 days in the lobby before someone plugged it up, and then we were pouring a few gallons of water from the tub into the toilet to flush it. We tried to do that only twice a day.  But on the third day, we took a sponge bath and washed our hair while standing in the shower with pots of water from the tub. It was the greatest feeling to be clean again.

27 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

A few pics from the weekend. Two of the youngest nieces having a good time, undoubtedly planning something that was no good.

20191201_081653.thumb.jpg.c5d284c97acb86ad35998d44cb6df5b4.jpg

The storm started around 3PM. We were cozy inside, so no worries. Lucky that the landscaper was by yesterday to finish the fall clean up.

20191201_140217.thumb.jpg.0d07e7f8206e213daf3df7f8baf6033e.jpg

Time for a roaring fire! 

20191201_152606.gif.753521de7364d4d37dd716e17907f5af.gif

And a little Christmas music. Now the tree is finished! 

20191201_175706.thumb.jpg.ae5ed711633cc35de22208f54dfe7685.jpg

After all that work, I think we deserve a splash of wine in the hot tub. Or a bottle. We will see.

Looks like a great time was had by all.

My brother is spending his last month in our home town of Kingston NY before he moves to Florida. He was hoping winter would start late this year, but he's expecting a foot or more, and just finished packing a POD for his move to SW Florida in January, so he has one more Christmas with snow. I thought I would miss it but it's been 11 years so far, and pictures are still enough for me.

21 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Hi coolers - we survived the weekend relatively intact and sent everyone home a few hours ago. They had to get an early start because of the impending storm. We braved the grocery store madness a little while ago, and now we are hunkered down awaiting the storm in a few hours. 

Albany, NY, was mentioned and highlighted on the CBS TV Morning News today.  Plus much on what is hitting New England, etc.  Big, BIG storms so early in the season!!??  See map below.  Good luck to those in these areas.  Good reasons to get away this winter to warmer climates.

We came back from Charlottesville, Va., later Saturday afternoon and did not have any snow or ice challenges.  Enjoyed Saturday afternoon the big win by Ohio State against top rival Michigan in college football.  That's eight straight against UM.  Sorry to rub it in, Spins.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,027 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From The Weather Channel and AccuWeather, here is the snow projection chart as to how the snow is hitting the Northeast today and tomorrow.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1406018461_ScreenShot2019-12-02at8_32_51AM.thumb.png.f7ee4bca4c90b9b4075286fcd35bfe8c.png

Ouch Terry.

I will get over it.

Enjoying the scenes of winter posted here while we bask in the 70 + degree sun.

Tonight we will brave a cold front and the temps will be in the 40s. That's really cold.

Watched the ship we will be sailing on soon come into Port Everglades this morning. 

Have a great day all.

52 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Ouch Terry.   I will get over it.   Enjoying the scenes of winter posted here while we bask in the 70 + degree sun.

Glad to hear that Spins is working to "get over it" about Michigan's Saturday loss to number-one-ranked Ohio State.  Michigan has now lost 15 out of the last 16 games to OSU. You’d have to have been born in the last century to be alive the last time Michigan won two straight against its arch rival.   

Glad you are getting that 70's+F sunny weather in South Florida.  Sounds wonderful.  But, the snow on the ground during a sunny day can look very pretty.  However, ice on the roads is not as much fun, nor easy. 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 226,081 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

37 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Gee Terry if I didn't know you better I'd think you were deliberately poking the Hornets nest!   😉

YES!!  Guilty as charged.  Part of my motivation and sourcing was reading yesterday the Detroit Free Press' top sports columnist, Mitch Albom.  The headline on his detailed analysis was: "Michigan football's sickening reality: Ohio State is just better".  Just sharing the writing of this respected Michigan columnist.  Also sorry with the results from the University of Miami football season with a new coach.  The 'Canes look promising early in the season in the first game against Florida, but things were more challenged and mixed later.  Now, for us college football fans, it will be the fun time awaiting the various bowl game match-up.  Saturday night, we will be In Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship game against Wisconsin.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,938 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

As bad as we are (FSU) and as sucky as we have been, Manny Diaz has a bigger problem......he lost to FIU:classic_biggrin: and

then to Duke.....so both teams are REALLY BAD.

And yes, this weekend will have some good games...…..GO BADGERS:classic_smile: