Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

one of the shows was at the Schoenfeld Theater....right across from the Marriott Marquis...…..which has LOTS of theaters all within walking distance...….it is not cheap but the location is fabulous:classic_smile:...…..has anyone stayed there before? Just curious.

Thoughts?

We have done many, many weekends in New York City to enjoy the great theater productions, super museums, excellent dining and the exciting energy of that dynamic city.  BUT, NYC is not cheap.  And, things/traffic are getting even more challenging there in certain ways.  Have stayed at the Marriott Marquis.  Nice, big hotel with a great, super central location.  The rooms are decent-sized compared to some hotels in this major town.  But, good or bad, it is a little much of a large formula hotel.  Personally, if you can get a booking there at a decent price, grab it.  Check senior, AAA discounts, etc.   BUT, I would also check other options to see if that hotel is the best "VALUE"??!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Recently completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

To help build excitement for Lois doing New York City, below are a couple of my visuals.  First, the theater we were getting ready to enter for "Jersey Boys" about the Four Seasons in 2009.  Great musical and story!!  Second, my wife and I before going into to see Dave Letterman's show being taped.  For that show, Dave had Julie Roberts and Black Eyed Peas.  Sorry!  No more Dave Letterman shows at the Ed Sullivan Theater.   Many great memories from visits to NYC.  Go for it!!  Need more visual evidence to prove the many options in this city?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

DSC_5446.jpeg.0fc9886bbbe8e71eda0f9547b283abf7.jpeg

DSC_5436.jpeg

Edited by TLCOhio

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate this follow-up and great to hear that you will be experiencing the Galapagos Islands.  Look forward to you sharing more from visiting this dramatic location that is also on our "must-set" list.  

As to Machu Picchu, how did that go in dealing with the high elevations there.  A good friend, much younger, had visited there in his mid 30's and found it very, very challenging.  Not sure my wife and me, in our early 70's, would do that well there.  Tell us more!!

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 17,839 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Terry, I didn't suffer too much, just the odd shortness of breath, especially climbing steep hills and, weirdly, when standing shaving!  I was the oldest in my group at 67 but many of the others weren't too far behind.  Some people did suffer a bit (with headaches and nausea) and needed oxygen occasionally.  I took medication with me and I'll be taking it for the couple of pre-cruise days in Quito, which is lower than Cusco and at a similar altitude to Machu Picchu.  The tour I took basically moved from lower to higher altitudes over a few days.  The trip also included a night on the Belmond Andean Explorer.  The whole trip is well recommended.  Some pictures here http://www.mickberry.co.uk/peru.htm

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Have stayed at the Marriott Marquis.  Nice, big hotel with a great, super central location.  The rooms are decent-sized compared to some hotels in this major town.  But, good or bad, it is a little much of a large formula hotel.  Personally, if you can get a booking there at a decent price, grab it.  Check senior, AAA discounts, etc.   BUT, I would also check other options to see if that hotel is the best "VALUE"??!!

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Yes, thanks:classic_smile:

Lois, I think Terry has described the Marriott Marquis well.

I’ve held many meetings there over the years, so I have a little bit of a different perspective.  The hotel is a business hotel.  They are very good at what they do.  But, it’s a highly impersonable hotel.  The rooms are small and nothing fancy.  Being a super large hotel, noise can be a problem at times depending on who your neighbor is, as well as late night in the hallways.  The kitchen is built for large scale catering, not a highly customizable individual meal.  

While the Marquis is well sited, there are many, many other smaller, more boutique oriented hotels that might be a better fit.  With that said, sometimes you can get a really good rate at the Marquis when they don’t have a large group in house.

Hi....thanks for the response......I appreciate it. I have not made a final decision yet......though with March

only  MONTH away I need to do something!

I did make my very first visit to the Social Security office today:classic_blink:...…...I will be 62 next month and want to get

started. I have now done the on line part of the process...….hopefully things will go smoothly!

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

While the Marquis is well sited, there are many, many other smaller, more boutique oriented hotels that might be a better fit.  

Lois,

We agree with Stumblefoot about smaller boutique hotels.  We have stayed many times at the Casablanca Hotel on West 43 Street, right off Broadway. It has 48 rooms.

The theme of the Hotel is, well you can guess. The rooms are not huge but are beautifully appointed and the bathrooms are beautiful.  They offer a wonderful continental breakfast each morning including fresh pastries, fruit, yogurt, etc., and the NYT. Rick's Cafe, which is the living room,  is open all day so if you need a cappuccino or a cookie or a hot chocolate, you can get it, all on the house!  There is also an outdoor patio which might not be what you need in February. In the evening, wine, cheese, crackers, nuts and other nibbles start at 5pm and lasts until 8, again all on the house. They attract an international clientele and we have had many interesting conversations. The staff will get to know you and call you by name (sounds like a cruise line).

Down the block is Times Square and walking distance to the amazing restaurants on "Restaurant Row," 46th Street, and it is in the heart of the theater district.

You would feel in home at the Casablanca, we have always had!

Best of luck in choosing your hotel and a pre Happy Birthday to you!

Ann & Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Lois, I think Terry has described the Marriott Marquis well.  While the Marquis is well sited, there are many, many other smaller, more boutique oriented hotels that might be a better fit.  With that said, sometimes you can get a really good rate at the Marquis when they don’t have a large group in house.

Very good summary and important details/insight from Stumblefoot.  Great analysis!!!   Glad that FlyingScotSailor suggested a good boutique option to consider.  Having a hotel with a little character, charm and personality in a big city can make things more "FUN" than just being in a big corporate-style hotel.  

For Stumblefoot, I just talked this afternoon with a long-time friend who lives in Colorado Springs.  Yes, the Colorado weather can be very good, including during the winter..  She told me that earlier in the week that it was up to 72F and sunny there in CS.  Then, the snow came.  WOW!  That was quite a contrasting, quick weather shift!!  Right?

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 250,430 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Thanks 1

Lois,

We know you changed your ship from a Seabourn TA to a Silversea TA.  We will miss you on our crossing, unless you are ready for another cruise by then.😊 We have celebrated many birthdays and other parties at Casablanca.  My birthday is Feb 11 and we are off to Cancun for the week celebrating my second 70th birthday as I did not do anything big last year but I realized you only come through this way once.  If there is anything in life one should collect, that would be birthdays.🤗

We will be on the Cloud for the lower TA from Cape to Cape the end of February. South Georgia, here we come.

I hope I have given you a good suggestion to celebrate your birthday.

Ann

8 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We will be on the Cloud for the lower TA from Cape to Cape the end of February. South Georgia, here we come.

How did I not remember this? You're right; it doesn't get much "lower" than that. Your itinerary looks amazing. I hope you have as much nice weather, and wildlife sightings, as we did last month. South Georgia is spectacular.

My sister is in Cape Town today, getting ready for the "World Marathon Challenge" where they run a marathon every day on a different continent for seven consecutive days. Tonight they leave Cape Town for Novo Airbase in Antarctica, where they run the first one tomorrow morning. From there they go back to Cape Town for #2, Perth for #3, Dubai for #4, Madrid for #5, Fortaleza for #6, and finish in Miami with #7. That amount of running is insane but I'll keep track of her on the website and cheer her on.

9 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Lois,

We know you changed your ship from a Seabourn TA to a Silversea TA.  We will miss you on our crossing, unless you are ready for another cruise by then.😊 We have celebrated many birthdays and other parties at Casablanca.  My birthday is Feb 11 and we are off to Cancun for the week celebrating my second 70th birthday as I did not do anything big last year but I realized you only come through this way once.  If there is anything in life one should collect, that would be birthdays.🤗

I hope I have given you a good suggestion to celebrate your birthday.

Ann

Hi Ann, I am already on a cruise in April....I am on a crossing....and then after arriving in Barcelona I am flying to

Lisbon for a river cruise on the Douro:classic_biggrin:

I am looking at the Casablanca again today......and flights to NY and show tickets.....will let you know what happens!

Thanks JP, we will take good weather!  We did upgrade to a very nice, low, and mid-ship suite, 542, but do not need to see how much motion we can take there.  We were low, and mid-ship on Seabourn across the Drake, and were fine ... with drugs! 😎

Just flying to 7 continents in 7 days is exhausting, without have to run marathons.  We were marathon runners, in a different lifetime and bodies ago, and just recovering from one marathon at a time was tough enough.  Hope your sister's knees are better than ours when she reaches our age. :classic_blink:

What sort of times is she looking for?

542 should be nice. We were in 538, much less motion than our original 415. Really liked it.

Both of my younger sisters are pushing the envelope in their 40s. She is doing this marathon challenge for her 45th birthday which is next month. My other sister age 42 took up boxing a few years ago and has had some pro fights against younger women who are faster and stronger. It's crazy! I'm at least a little older and wiser...I don't do anything like that.

No idea what times she's aiming for with these races. I think she's less worried about time, vs just finishing all of them. I can't imagine. She's a fairly good marathoner who has qualified for Boston in the past, so I'm hoping she does ok here.

The flights are long and since they are using a 757, they have to make fuel stops. The Cape Town to Perth leg, for example, takes 18h including 2 refueling stops! Can't imagine getting off a plane after that flight and running a marathon.

Even though it's a custom plane, fitted with business class seats, it can't be comfortable after a few races. The legs must get really achy after a few days. And you probably can't drink too much wine on the flights either. Not my idea of fun, for multiple reasons! 

• Like 2

Lois

I have stayed at the Michelangelo hotel several times which is located in the area u want.

152 west 51st street.

It isn't a box hotel.

Make sure you join all the reward programs they list on their site before you book and go thru them to get the best pricing.

There are many hotels in the City I would recommend but not In the area you want.

Edited by spinnaker2

The Michelangelo keeps sending emails about sales. We stayed there once many years ago and liked it. Agree about the handy location.

Currently if you book before 2/11, their winter offer is 40% off regular rates and included breakfast. I believe the rates are nonrefundable, though. Call and see if you can get that rate.

Or try their website with code WINTER

Edited by jpalbny

Good luck to Lois with your NYC planning.  Fun, exciting city with so much to see and do there.  

We woke up this morning in Central Ohio with about a half inch of snow on the ground.  Many parts of Ohio and others states are getting so much more snow.  Many schools in the northern part of our state are closed today.  Sounds like a good time to escape the winter cold?  Still need to pack and complete other details for our late afternoon Saturday flight from Columbus to LAX.  Then to Auckland, arriving on morning of Feb. 10.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 228,938 views. 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Below is one of my 2009 pictures from New York City's Times Square to help in building excitement for your upcoming visit to the "Big Apple".:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

DSC_5419.jpeg.5054b03433213b0cec2480a08cc875ca.jpeg

Good morning friends, well, Royal's Anthem of the Seas is back in NJ with passengers being tested for the

VIRUS:classic_blink::classic_sad:…….this thing is really scary!  Wishing everyone affected all the best.

Today is day 9 of radiation and yes, seeing some of the redness they were telling me would probably show up.

No pain and I am continuing to use this Moisturizer I had to get from them called Miaderm.  It is supposed

to help around the entire area keeping the skin from drying out too much.   At least I don't feel bad/sick

or anything.  I know I need to be thankful!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

We woke up this morning in Central Ohio with about a half inch of snow on the ground.  Many parts of Ohio and others states are getting so much more snow.  Many schools in the northern part of our state are closed today.  Sounds like a good time to escape the winter cold?  Still need to pack and complete other details for our late afternoon Saturday flight from Columbus to LAX.  Then to Auckland, arriving on morning of Feb. 10.

Terry, we had a little snow yesterday at home., but got to Cancun Mexico without too much problem. We received emails about school and YMCA closings today. It is cloudy here but 80 F. Thanks for the advice to get away!

Enjoy NZ. We have enjoyed our visits there, and hope to get there a third time,  if the Silver Wisper waitlist clears.

Mistry, love the "Canadian" sports cartoon, and the Queen one had me groaning for a long time. 

ps: Ann just received an email from our electric utility that we have a power outage at home. Certainly good to be here!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

ps: Ann just received an email from our electric utility that we have a power outage at home. Certainly good to be here!

I see you are from Saratoga.  We are just west of Syracuse and had a power outage as well, for about 30 minutes... not that bad, thank goodness.  We did invest in a powerful generator, and to think I complained so much about the cost!  

• Like 1

Cam

We too have a generator and while it was costly it is worth every penny. We are in South Florida where there are frequent outages.

When we lived in the wilds of Connecticut we had to worry about frozen pipes bursting in an outage. It happened once. Ugh.

A generator offers some peace of mind for sure!!