Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Misty thank you for the funnies, it's nice to have a chuckle. A friend some me some doggie ones to give me a laugh recently. Here's an example...image.png.0b87b0f5fdc056324ea34bf3e942f9cc.png

image.png.db75806f38003cf96772c7fe18784883.png

Lois I am glad you are enjoying retirement...well apart from having treatment. Glad to see you are planning lots of adventures.

Terry and jpalbany I have loved following your adventures as well.

Take care all.

Julie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Yes, NZ can be a bit ordinary in places and the towns are often dull.  But, as Terry says, the food and wine are  generally excellent.  On our big road trip we stayed in a villa near Blenheim and cooked for ourselves and experimented with a lot of different wines.  Our favourite turned out to be Two Paddocks from a vineyard owned by actor Sam Neill.  If you find it Terry buy a bottle!

Great suggestion for the Two Paddocks wine from New Zealand by Fletcher in the UK.  Will be on the look out for it.  Agree with J.P. that dining in South Africa can be BOTH wonderful and affordable for dining. Have not been to Ukraine.  Sounds fascinating.  But, Ukraine has been in the news lately and does have Russia next door being aggressive.  Any other good tips and ideas for NZ wine?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 17,910 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On 2/11/2020 at 12:54 PM, besberry said:

As for the green lipped mussels, they're good.  So is the venison

Agree their venison is very good and NZ produces much of that livestock on many different farms.  Had the venison last night at the Lake Taupo Oreti Village Resort where we are staying for two days.  See the dining delight below. Very good, plus some super tasty dessert.  Continuing to enjoy New Zealand very much.  Perfect weather here now.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 229,004 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

For dinner, it was the venison, plus risotto and baby carrots.  For dessert, we super loved their pistachio creme brûlée with pistachio ice cream, coconut shavings, almond biscotti, etc.  I shared the dessert with my wife. Didn't eat it all.   Look tasty and good?  It was!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

IMG_4769.jpeg.90ac52023c0bcbb172687b08a106809b.jpeg

IMG_4771.jpeg.b09915e92a289460569916be5c40bb0b.jpeg

At Lake Taupo, here was one of the views this afternoon.  Lots of relaxing, scenic views from our balcony location overlooking New Zealand largest lake.:

CMB_8254.jpeg.a2ef9c8a74ec4cfbe6f1f600a6f04669.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, my sister has completed her quest to run a marathon on all seven continents within one week's time. She finished #7 today in Miami, just about 166 hours after she started the first one in Cape Town last Wednesday night. 

Marathon #2 was run at Novo Airbase in Antarctica, in sub-zero temps with 40 knot winds. She stopped halfway through and spent an hour warming up. She almost withdrew, but went out for another lap, then another, and finished.

#3 and #4, in Perth and Dubai, were tame in comparison. #5 in Madrid was tough as they ran it on a Formula 1 race track. She said that the surface was very hard on her feet and legs.

Her ankle blew up during #6 yesterday in Brazil, so she had to tape it up to finish that one, and she walked 2/3 of the way. It was also 80+F and very humid, so another good reason to walk a lot.

I'm afraid to ask how her ankle looks and feels today. Now hopefully she will take a few days off before running again. I think she's earned that!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Well, my sister has completed her quest to run a marathon on all seven continents within one week's time. She finished #7 today in Miami, just about 166 hours after she started the first one in Cape Town last Wednesday night. 

Marathon #2 was run at Novo Airbase in Antarctica, in sub-zero temps with 40 knot winds. She stopped halfway through and spent an hour warming up. She almost withdrew, but went out for another lap, then another, and finished.

#3 and #4, in Perth and Dubai, were tame in comparison. #5 in Madrid was tough as they ran it on a Formula 1 race track. She said that the surface was very hard on her feet and legs.

Her ankle blew up during #6 yesterday in Brazil, so she had to tape it up to finish that one, and she walked 2/3 of the way. It was also 80+F and very humid, so another good reason to walk a lot.

I'm afraid to ask how her ankle looks and feels today. Now hopefully she will take a few days off before running again. I think she's earned that!

Wow...congrats to your sis...amazing...

jpalbny congratulations to your sister. That is truly an amazing accomplishment and effort.

As this is The Cooler I wanted to share something as it has given me bit of a fright.

My husband is resting in hospital overnight after a stent insertion.He went to emergency two weeks ago because he developed arm and jaw pain. My husband's EKG was normal as was his blood test but his Father had needed a stent and a test 12 years ago had shown a mild blockage at 30% so they monitored him overnight hospital. The emergency consultant there when he saw Keith in the morning dismissed it as gastric indigestion. Luckily the Cardiology registrar suggested we follow up with our own doctor and and get a cardio perfusion test because he was concerned a youngish fit guy was getting arm & jaw pain on exertion.

With the tests and seeing the cardiologist then angiogram it took two weeks because the main concern was chest pain on exertion.

The angiogram showed 99% block in one artery. It was a heart attack waiting to happen.

Lucky the cardio registrar had given Keith GTN spray and told him to take it if he got pain and follow up with everything. 

Moral of story fit people don't get weak and in pain for no reason so it needs to be thoroughly checked.

It is Valentines Day here and I am looking forward to having my Valentine home today.

Julie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Well, my sister has completed her quest to run a marathon on all seven continents within one week's time.

Jiminy Cricket!  

While I'll never understand what would possess someone to do such a thing, I offer my congratulations to her for achieving her goal. 

Now, I'm must head back into my spreadsheet as I continue to prepare to sell some of our wine collection at auction.  It's going to take me longer than it took your sister to run all of those races, but I guarantee you, I will not suffer any injuries. 😉

Julie, as I mentioned on the other board, I am so glad your hubby will be ok.:classic_smile:

Besides all my radiation stuff, I just had a normal physical yesterday.....seems over the last few months my

blood pressure has gone up and now I am having to take meds for it too.:classic_rolleyes:...The way I found out was from

the Cancer place---over the last few months when I had to go give blood, they always do the vitals and my BP

was high going back to the fall (I had them print me out a statement). Well, now with having the radiation, I see

the Oncologist every Monday and they do the Vitals again....BP is still high...…..So I made an appt with my GP

and he had all my previous records...…….somehow my BP went up from Sept to now......it was NEVER high

before that time.  Have no clue why it has spiked...….but he prescribed some meds and hopefully they will

help.

Boy, getting old sucks:classic_wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Julie, I'm glad that all turned out OK. Those coronary stents are amazing. Now, make sure he takes his anti-platelet medications faithfully!

Thanks jp. Keith is great because he is very faithful with just taking even vitamins so his anti-platelets will be taken as per doctors orders.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:40 PM, MrToblerone said:

Hi Terry , I enjoy the Astrolabe Sauvignon Blanc and Sauvignon Blancs from the Marlborough Area tend to be a good choice also Pinot Noirs from Central Otago. That venison looks wonderful .

Appreciate this great wine suggestion for New Zealand and the nice follow-up.  Keep 'em coming!  Getting ready to go to Auckland later today and be ready to board our ship tomorrow to commence the 18-day adventure through the South Pacific.  Visited Hobbiton Movie Set yesterday and continued to enjoy the super good NZ food and wine.  Very, very dry here on the NZ North Island.  Hobbiton needs to do daily watering to keep the flowers and grass looking wonderful there.  It's been more than 40 days since Auckland has had any measurable rain.  See visual below as to the impacts from the dryness in this region.  

Lots happening at the Cooler with medical updates, JP's sister success, great funnies from Mysty, etc.  Agree that getting older is not perfect, but as my 92-year-old friend shares, "It's better than the alternative!"  Had a very good friend back in Columbus get yesterday a replacement pacemaker implanted with three leads on it versus his previous two leads pacemaker.  Such is "life" and keeping our aging bodies ticking along.  He's doing well today, but they have future questions as they are scheduled in April to do a Japan cruise on the Holland America Westerdam ship that has been in quarantine.  Lots of challenges and questions right now for the cruising and travel businesses!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,688

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the Hobbiton Movie Set yesterday, here are a few visual samples for this colorful and interesting site that is very popular here.  In the final picture it gives a sample for the dryness affecting these beautiful countrysides on NZ's North Island.  Anyone a Hobbiton and/or Lord of the Rings fan?  Been to this location?  The flowers and set details are amazing!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMB_8320.thumb.jpeg.6524bbeec693bdd2e3d903755400f62d.jpeg

CMB_8362.thumb.jpeg.cf57c4d35bf963e26d39a6fce67905af.jpeg

CMB_8403.thumb.jpeg.21477fb234573d0bc4e4cf2f236c63f2.jpeg

CMB_8346.thumb.jpeg.db9b339fa3974d94ec0b1f00612f5392.jpeg

CMB_8418.thumb.jpeg.e38593c4bb6ca091c284c619d8b6f0ba.jpeg

CMB_8489.thumb.jpeg.b1650c6e4762b15c2c2acb0d2dea1903.jpeg

• Like 3