Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you mean a post in the Reviews section of Cruise Critic:  reviews are moderated, so there is always a delay until one of the Admins [above my level...] vets the post.  If you want the people you know to see it, start a thread here on the Boards section and paste it there – it will pop up immediately and all your Cooler friends will read it!  [See what I did there?  This is the Water Cooler, but we are the cooler cats! 🤣]

Good morning.....I  was on the SS forum when I posted it.......oh well, it must have gotten lost in Cyberspace or something😮

Anyone remember the song "If I were a carpenter"?

Never been able to forget it... If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady, would you marry me anyway...

So I was surprised to hear it made a sort of comeback in Brazil & other countries in South America this year.

Wish I spoke Portugese

• Like 1

Hi Que, I remember that for sure but I didn't remember Bobby Darin singing it!.....For some reason I thought it was in the "Mamas and The Papas" or some other folk singers........but I agree, the Portuguese sounds very cool👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Never been able to forget it... If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady, would you marry me anyway...

So I was surprised to hear it made a sort of comeback in Brazil & other countries in South America this year.

Wish I spoke Portugese

Awesome song Que!  And it speaks to values that are maybe not recognized as values these days!

• Like 1

Good morning, wow, IDA looks like she decided the NE would be her next victim!  New York/New Jersey has gotten flooded out.........watching the folks who got stuck before they could get a subway car home........they were stuck there all night😨,   and right now the death toll is 9.  I saw all the cars left on the roads too...........Jazz, you are out on Long Island, right? Did you get heavy rains? Or was it mostly the city and upstate? Oh wow, she hit CT and PA too.......unreal.

JP, how did your speech go at school yesterday?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, wow, IDA looks like she decided the NE would be her next victim!  New York/New Jersey has gotten flooded out.........watching the folks who got stuck before they could get a subway car home........they were stuck there all night😨,   and right now the death toll is 9.  I saw all the cars left on the roads too...........Jazz, you are out on Long Island, right? Did you get heavy rains? Or was it mostly the city and upstate? Oh wow, she hit CT and PA too.......unreal.

Someone said we got 8 inches of rain – I believe it.  But there was very little wind so no damage in our neighborhood except many people have water in their basements.  We put in 'French drains' and it does a great job of keeping our basement dry.  I have never heard the sump pump work as hard as it did all through the night.  Many, many roads flooded throughout our area.  But now it's sunny and calm so I expect folks'll get everything cleared up fairly quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks, it went well.

It wasn't a speech per se though. It was part of an event for the teachers and staff prior to school opening up next week.

In the past, the superintendent had brought in speakers to talk to the staff about teaching. Apparently it wasn't something that was very popular, so she decided to try something different this year.

She invited a group of graduates from all eras - 1970s to 2010s. We acted as a panel, and she asked us some questions about what lessons we took from our teachers that had helped us achieve success in our careers. 

It was a varied panel. Two were small businesses owners, but at vastly differentstagesin their careers. One was the local chief of police (a great guy, 6Y older than me, was so nice to see him again). One was a supervisor at child protective services. The youngest one worked for a biotechnology startup. And then me. So, lots of good discussion, different viewpoints, and it seemed to be received well.

It was a long day though. I left home at 6AM and drove there for about 2h45. I was there until 1 then drove back home. I took the Southern Tier route home which was stupid. It rained the whole way (edge of Ida) and there was lots of road work. I should have taken the Thruway in both directions. 

And of course on Tuesday night I got called in for an emergency at work so I was there until 10. Made that early morning drive yesterday even more fun. But it was ultimately worth the effort. And hopefully I can catch up on rest this weekend. 

• Like 4

Hi JP, sounds like an interesting event and glad it went well.  And happy you made it home safely too!😃

These videos of rescues all over NJ/NY/PA looks so amazing............the waters themselves look horrific😟........for the folks who think climate change is not real? Look at what has happened in the last 5 days.............it is REAL.......fires in Tahoe-----Hurricane in New Orleans and now these historic floods.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:43 PM, FlyingScotSailors said:

A while ago we got our Aunt a "big button remote", which had only a few large buttons, to make it easier for her to see and choose the correct button.  She still had to call us frequently so we could talk her through the steps to do what she wanted to do.

We miss her!

That was one of the BEST purchases that I made for my mother in her later years (she lived until just one month before her 1ooth birthday) and I always recommend that remote to friends whose parents are entering their later years.  

On 8/31/2021 at 5:13 PM, QueSeraSera said:

Wish I spoke Portugese

The song was written by Tim Hardin, a solo folk musician of sorts who released several albums in the sixties.  He was from Eugene, Oregon originally, moved to Greenwich Village, got strung out on heroin, died young.  Nice song, I used to play it back in the day.  He also wrote "Misty Roses" which was also covered by various folks.  As a resident of Eugene, he was something of a local hero, but now largely forgotten, I suppose.  He had a sort of engaging trembling voice.  It is the sort of song the guy with the guitar on the stairs with the adoring girls in the Frat Party scene of Animal House would have sung. (You may recall Bluto (John Beluschi) grabbed the guitar and smashed it, gave it back and said "Sorry".) And, of course, Eugene is also known as where Animal House was filmed - our claim to fame, that is except for when the University of Oregon's Mighty Ducks are having their way on the football field or basketball court.  (Or track, for that matter.  Or softball field.)  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

but now largely forgotten, I suppose.

No! not by me - kind of sad, but maybe you're right with the largely part.  Albums by him and Tom Rush kept me company as I made it through school.  Another good song he wrote "Reason to Believe"

• Like 1