Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Lois...yes. in New Zealand? No words.

DW, I like your news much better! Enjoy!

We decided to go to Atlanta next weekend. The cold weather grows tiresome! I'm working this weekend and two weekends from now so we needed a break.

We were thinking of driving to Montreal for the weekend but the weather looked chilly.

Some Delta FF miles bought a direct flight from Albany on Friday after work, and home Sunday afternoon. Will stay in a different part of town than last time and soak up some warmth, Southern food, and try not to think about work for a day.

• Like 1

Good afternoon all .  from a very grey rainy Southern UK.

JP, I hope you have a great weekend in one of our favourite cities ... I have promised wifey to return her one day to pan for some more gold in the hills.

Davey exciting news and hope tou have a really great time.

Our life remains extremely routine compared to others.  Made some very plain pizza for lunch.  Just tomato, anchovy and bacon but the dough was good.  

I had been thinking some bready thoughts yesterday and prepared an overnight rise of a walnut and honey and bran baguette which I’d thought of as a breakfast baguette with some lovely marmalade and coffee.  It worked much better than expected and I have been commanded to make it a regular event.

F1E2AC07-649F-4EAB-A802-8DC4AB2D911D.jpeg

B4F9009F-B342-4D7A-ABD4-CF641D139EE3.jpeg

4BB02080-63DA-4782-9997-E4C9401E663E.jpeg

• Like 2

Spins, thanks for the kind words re my dough!  

I had some gorgeous marmalade and felt that the ordinary baguette was wonderful but there had to be something more.    So I found myself “designing”  some bread  just for two things.  So it was chopped walnuts with honey with a mix of malted bran, wholemeal and white flours.   I wanted it for a slice of mature cheddar with some caramelised red onion chutney and then with some marmalade.  Wifey shared it with me and has complained I hadn’t made enough.  You kniw that bread has got into your blood when you start thinking of it and designing loaves for special meals. 

• Like 1

Still a warm 30C here in Victoria but cooler in the mornings. The trees are starting to show their autumn colours. 

Your bread looks delicious Jeff. My husband made our sour dough bread regularly until we shifted and hasn’t started again. I’ll show him your posts and it may inspire him. 

We are holidaying about 3 hours from Melbourne at present. Our daughter came with us for the weekend and we have enjoyed some lovely meals and wine tasting with her. 

After dropping her at the train station today we are moving a little further afield to the King Valley for a few days, where we hope to sample some of the regions food and wine. 

The countryside is very dry and the farmers could do with some of your rain Davey. 

We have just planted our new garden and hope all our plants grow and  will soon fill the spaces and look good. 

Queensland has had a prolonged drought and the farmers who have managed to keep their stock alive have had another disaster when a tropical low brought so much rain thousands of cattle drowned in the floods. It is heartbreaking. 

Yum. So much tasty bread!

I have been doing a little genealogy research for the past few days. Many years ago, my grandmother had traced her lineage back to several who fought in the American Revolution (sorry to our British coolers; I am a bit less bellicose than they, after so many generations) but I have managed to take it back another hundred years.

I was reviewing her ancestry, which I hadn't done in decades, when I came across a name that sounded familiar from what I now know about Albany history. Ten Broeck is an important surname from the founding of Albany, and amazingly I found a Ten Broeck daughter in her lineage, who married into our family! Using a book of Ten Broeck genealogy I was able to trace back to one Wessel Wesselese TenBroeck who was born in the first decade of the 1600s in Rhineland somewhere, and came to North America in 1626 with Peter Minuit who was the first governor of New Amsterdam.

Wessel moved north up the Hudson shortly thereafter - first to Kingston, then to a fledgling settlement that would become Beverwyck (an earlier name for what eventually became Albany, New York). His son Dirck Wesselse TenBroeck was next in our line, and the first that I know of who born in North America. In addition to holding several other civic positions, and signing the Beverwyck Charter, he was the 4th mayor of Albany in the 1690s.

It's 6 generations from Wessel to the daughter who married into our family. Interestingly, it appears that her father (also my direct relative) was a loyalist!!! He was part of a plan to defect to the Crown's troops, but was captured before the plan came to fruition. I wonder if my grandmother knew this about him?

From the daughter, Christina TenBroeck, it is five more generations to my grandmother, and then obviously two more to me and my siblings. Thus I've gone back 13 generations to the oldest relative I can find...so far! And amazingly enough he lived in ALBANY, where I do now. I guess you could say that when I came here to college, those roots were deep and kept me here. And that I also married a Chrystina. I guess now I know why!

Working this weekend but had time to make some miso-coated chicken wings for dinner. Yum! Now off the clean the fish tank. Happy weekend all!

20190316_170951.thumb.jpg.0b5c2f3aa95f9366d20776581d4729a0.jpg

20190316_170946.thumb.jpg.7c1679f90f41f8aa3c3d7a769a43a122.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

Well apparently I’m famous. (15 minutes) My pic of the Conwy Valley earlier was on the BBC1 10 o’clock news. Didn’t see it myself and I refuse to be buttered up. I still think leave means leave and won’t forgive them for their biased reporting on Brexit but hey ho. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I still think leave means leave and won’t forgive them for their biased reporting on Brexit but hey ho. 

500 out of 650 MPs who wish to remain, led by a Prime Minister who wishes to remain supported by a Civil Service who wishes us to remain dealing with an EU leadership whose priority is to ensure that we remain.   So what could possibly go wrong.

We are in all the Hotel California ...

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

JP, very interesting and very cool.  Are you planning on taking back some of Rensselaer?   I found we had a branch that was Dutch from the general area, and started the migration west.  There was one other branch that fled the Palatinate and landed in NYC, then was shuffled up to Herkimer in early 1700, then west.   Funny that my family migrated back here in the 1950s, we had no idea, thought all of our family was from the general NC/SC/GA area and went to Missouri from there.

Well 1 week from today, we will be waking up in Old San Juan, ready to make our way to the Wind.   I have pulled out my clothes, readying to pack, will need to do one more look thru to "thin the herd" so to say.  Also, corned beast is in the crockpot, veggies will go in the instant pot, and because I come midwestern American Irish/Scot stock, we have corn bread!  Sadly, not leftover pie from PI Day, so I am thinking a fruit pizza.   We've got my brother & SIL coming up, as well as my neighbors with the twin leprechauns (Thing I and Thing 2).   My head is so not ready for this week at work, lots of deadlines and meetings, don't they realize I want to plan vacation? 

Best news, looks like the weather will hold for us to fly out of Albany on a 5:10am flight (:classic_ohmy: I didn't think anything left the ground before 6am or after 10pm).   After this past week's thaw and melt, we had a dusting of snow overnight.  The backyard and woods are still snow covered, but the front yard, there's some brown & green showing.  I can even reach the mailbox without scaling a snow bank.   I can smell Spring in the air......

Edited by UpstateJan

Jan, I agree, spring is in the air. Even after that little snow squall this morning. We were up early to get some grocery shopping in, before I went to work, and Chris said that the weather looked unsettled. We came out of Price Chopper to see that there was snow on the car. So we had a breakfast view with snow on the ground - it was pretty but I suspect it won't last.

20190317_085016.thumb.jpg.a2d61ead913dc07b14f1c5627076bdc4.jpg

A gorgeous hawk put in an appearance close to the house. I think he had his eye on some breakfast of his own! Luckily I had time to use my real camera.

DSC_1767.thumb.JPG.bca6d635d40d38c17f0ff13d34003abb.JPG

DSC_1763.thumb.JPG.b68be3247f6062fb26eccccf1eef43d9.JPG

I used to be fascinated with the family genealogy when I was young. Have revisited it a bit in the past few years. But the Ten Broeck connection was an eye-opener! I had known of two other emigrations from Germany in the family tree but the 1626 connection is older than the others.

My great-grandfather's mother (paternal grandfather's side) came from Lampholdshausen in Germany in 1857 as a single woman, along with her brother and his whole family. My GGF was born in Pennsylvania in 1859 so she wasted no time in settling down, I gather.

The other migration with my relatives was the one Jan mentions above. My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Bellinger, and the Bellingers were Palatine immigrants in the 1710 group (or shortly thereafter). She traced her tree back to a Captain Peter Bellinger who was born near Langenselbold Germany in 1697, then immigrated with his parents as part of that Palatine group. His son, Colonel Peter Bellinger born 1726, was the one who fought alongside General Herkimer (Herchheimer) at Oriskany. Herkimer was another big family name in the group of Palatines. They moved to and founded the namesake town in Upstate NY, as Jan recalls.

Col. Bellinger was married one of Gen. Herkimer's sisters. Jan, we are probably related if you go back far enough, because it seems like everyone in that Palatine group married each other. If you can find a Bellinger or a Herkimer, let me know!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

500 out of 650 MPs who wish to remain, led by a Prime Minister who wishes to remain supported by a Civil Service who wishes us to remain dealing with an EU leadership whose priority is to ensure that we remain.   So what could possibly go wrong.

We are in all the Hotel California ...

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

Exactly Jeff, I think if they don’t carry out Brexit there’s going to be a lot of trouble. 

‘My drone pic I took yesterday has been on nearly every weather bulletin, Andrew Marr show and now on countryfile. Should have asked for royalties! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Exactly Jeff, I think if they don’t carry out Brexit there’s going to be a lot of trouble. 

You might be interested in the chat Farage and Portillo had yesterday.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff