Liquor bottle sizes

larry_s_taco

We are going on the Zuiderdam in Dec. I plan on buying a bottle of liquor from HAL for my room. When I go to the HAL site, I can't find out the size of the bottles they sell. Does anyone know if they are 750 ml or liter bottles?

Thanks,

Larry

We are going on the Zuiderdam in Dec. I plan on buying a bottle of liquor from HAL for my room. When I go to the HAL site, I can't find out the size of the bottles they sell. Does anyone know if they are 750 ml or liter bottles?

Thanks,

Larry

Litre if buying just a bottle, but 750ml if buying one of the packages that include cans of mix.

If you purchase beforehand there is no local sales tax added. I’ve purchased several times requesting delivery on embarkation day and never was charged extra. You are also not limited to the liquor listed on line. If you want other brands such as grey goose you can order that through ship services. As long as the bars carry it, you can purchase a bottle for your room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe different (U.S.) states have different tax laws. Florida being one where you are charged state tax if a bottle is delivered to your room at the port of embarkation i.e. in Florida.

What's the law in California?... (I'll be embarking the Volendam in San Diego).

I believe different (U.S.) states have different tax laws. Florida being one where you are charged state tax if a bottle is delivered to your room at the port of embarkation i.e. in Florida.

That makes sense. When we sailed out of New Orleans last year, we ended up paying tax on the drinks we ordered from the bar on the ship until we were out of Louisiana waters. It seems like we did the same when we sailed out of Houston one time before. I'm not sure about California.

We were also charged 7% Florida sales tax on any drink while we were in Florida waters. The problem is, we left from Tampa, and cruised down the west coast to Key West. We were taxed for embarkation day and the next day in Key West. Luckily, we had the signature beverage package, and they do not charge the various state taxes to you if your drinks are covered by the package. You see the extra 7% on the drink receipt, but it never is charged against our cabin account. I guess the ship must absorb that tax ?

Not just the U.S., but other ports all around the world.

When I sailed out of San Diego, there was no tax charged on the liquor I ordered for delivery to our cabin.

One thing I've noticed (if you are pre-ordering on the HAL site). It might just be circumstantial, but so far for anything I've ordered..

If there is sales tax/tax/VAT, etc., the option is there for delivery at sea.

For the ports where there wasn't sales tax, there was no at sea option when I went to order. Just the cabin or MDR. That was the case for my San Diego sailing.

If you don't mind buying your mix by the glass, you might want to pre-purchase a $50 soda card for $25.

Since the liquor is supposed to drunk in the cabin, you have to wait for room service every time you want to freshen the drink? Doesn't sound too practical. Aren't we allowed to bring mixers aboard?

Since the liquor is supposed to drunk in the cabin, you have to wait for room service every time you want to freshen the drink? Doesn't sound too practical. Aren't we allowed to bring mixers aboard?

Yes you are allowed to bring mixers on board :D along with water, pop/soda, etc.

I'm sure the room service staff have more important things to do than freshen our drinks, and it would never have occurred to us to make the request.

We are rather self-sufficient travelers -- it doesn't require much of an effort to stop by the pool bar and pick up two glasses of soda on the way back to our cabin at the end of the afternoon to supplement the mixers that we have brought with us.