Upgrade by guest services when 1st on the ship?

umpisoccer

Was the cruise ship full or were there still open rooms and they just wouldn't move you into another room?

Even if the ship is not full customer service will say that it is. They don't do upgrades on board.

Any upgrades is done by corporate prior to the cruise and is not a shipboard function

I never asked for a move so don't know but those who were asking were having the notice pointed out to them and asked to leave so people with needs could be dealt with.

The notice clearly stated, and I don't know the actual wording, don't bother to act for an upgrade.

They did move people during at least one of the cruises as there were problems like flooding. That is why there are normally some rooms that are empty.

The basic reason for empty rooms in any part of the ship is that there is a maximum number of people that can be accommodated in the lifeboats associated with any Muster Station.

If there are a lot of passengers in 3 or 4 person rooms that allows empty rooms as the total number of people being carried has a limit based on the space in the lifeboats.

There "used" to be a time when when you could upgrade at the pier, but those days are LOOONG gone. They are pro's at filling remaining rooms close to sail date. If interested in upgrading, then look at the Upgrade Advantage program.

Has anyone ever been given an upgrade (inside to a balcony) by going to guest services when they first get on the ship? If so, how does that process work? Do they charge you extra or is it just first come first serve?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

99% of the time the answer is no and I am certain you wouldn't get an upgrade from inside to balcony for no charge. Why would they even consider that? Many years ago we did get upgraded the day we boarded the ship. The ship was one that NCL leased for about 6 months or so, older, not well liked and it sailed out of Houston. Because the number of cabins not sold we got upgraded for no extra cost, but the upgrade was only from one outside cabin another with slightly better location. And let me add, this was many years ago. Moat adjustments like you want from one CABIN to another are done by headquarters. This is the reason for the upgrade bidding process that is relatively new to NCL. I can't imagine how someone would feel if they bid for a balcony cabin an paid an additional $100 a person more and learned, later than others had walked onto the ship, asked for a better cabin and were given one at no additional cost.

Has anyone ever been given an upgrade (inside to a balcony) by going to guest services when they first get on the ship? If so, how does that process work? Do they charge you extra or is it just first come first serve?

There is a permanent sign at guest services that the ship is fully booked and no room changes will be accommodated. If you want an upgrade, buy the upgrade prior to cruise departure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

The on board staff does not move people between cabins, unless the original cabin becomes uninhabitable. They won't even entertain the request. There are always signs that say the ship pis full and no cabins are available.

99% of the time the answer is no and I am certain you wouldn't get an upgrade from inside to balcony for no charge. Why would they even consider that? Many years ago we did get upgraded the day we boarded the ship. The ship was one that NCL leased for about 6 months or so, older, not well liked and it sailed out of Houston. Because the number of cabins not sold we got upgraded for no extra cost, but the upgrade was only from one outside cabin another with slightly better location. And let me add, this was many years ago. Moat adjustments like you want from one CABIN to another are done by headquarters. This is the reason for the upgrade bidding process that is relatively new to NCL. I can't imagine how someone would feel if they bid for a balcony cabin an paid an additional $100 a person more and learned, later than others had walked onto the ship, asked for a better cabin and were given one at no additional cost.

Let's be accurate. 100% of the time the answer is NO.

NCL's ships sail full. I've been sailing on them for awhile. I've come to the pier and asked for upgrades every time I've checked in. I know the sign is there stating the same thing. I've asked, anyway. The answer is always the same...."we sail full".

We did 4 years ago on the Epic.

When we got on the ship they had a list for people to sign up if they wanted to upgrade.

On that list there were two columns. Column #1 said "willing to pay" Column #2 said "Not willing to pay"

We had an inside cabin for like $399 each. We check column #1

Within an hour we had a voicemail on our cabin phone to come to guest services and they would show us the cabins available.

We got a angle balcony for a total of $75.

I have no idea if people who checked they did not want to pay got anything.

We love the Epic so much that we later booked into the Haven on a 7 night cruise and sailed in an aft balcony for 30 days on that ship.

So yea, I guess the answer is...maybe. If it happened to us, it could happen to you :D

NCL's ships sail full. I've been sailing on them for awhile. I've come to the pier and asked for upgrades every time I've checked in. I know the sign is there stating the same thing. I've asked, anyway. The answer is always the same...."we sail full".

Sailing full does not mean that every cabin is occupied. It means that the maximum safety equipment capacity has been reached.

Sailing full does not mean that every cabin is occupied. It means that the maximum safety equipment capacity has been reached.

I think for any cruise that means cruising “full”.

For the sake of this discussion, anyone looking to book a cheap cabin or upgrade won’t have any luck doing either on check in.

For all intents and purposes, CCL, RCCL, NCL, etc sail full.

We did 4 years ago on the Epic.

When we got on the ship they had a list for people to sign up if they wanted to upgrade.

On that list there were two columns. Column #1 said "willing to pay" Column #2 said "Not willing to pay"

We had an inside cabin for like $399 each. We check column #1

Within an hour we had a voicemail on our cabin phone to come to guest services and they would show us the cabins available.

We got a angle balcony for a total of $75.

I have no idea if people who checked they did not want to pay got anything.

We love the Epic so much that we later booked into the Haven on a 7 night cruise and sailed in an aft balcony for 30 days on that ship.

So yea, I guess the answer is...maybe. If it happened to us, it could happen to you :D

This is exactly why I made the comment 99% then someone said, I should be honest and admit it is 100% Yes. on very rare occasions they do upgrade. Thanks

I was going down the corridor, just before sailing, don't remember the ship. Here comes two stewards pulling two loaded bell carts with luggage and what not. It looked like a family with a couple of small kids. Had strollers, pack n plays etc. I don't know if they were moving rooms or what. Maybe they booked a regular room and found that all their stuff didn't fit and were given another room.

I was going down the corridor, just before sailing, don't remember the ship. Here comes two stewards pulling two loaded bell carts with luggage and what not. It looked like a family with a couple of small kids. Had strollers, pack n plays etc. I don't know if they were moving rooms or what. Maybe they booked a regular room and found that all their stuff didn't fit and were given another room.

Or maybe and more likely...they arrived late to the pier. ;)

It isn't common but it can happen. A family member booked a solo cabin on the getaway and wasn't prepared for just how tiny it was. On the first sea day he was able to coordinate an upgrade via Amex who worked with Miami and then the ship to get him moved. It was a monumental effort on his behalf and it was not free or discounted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m on a sailing in October and we’re well over final payment. I saw that the cruises price dropped earlier this week and called to see if I could get obc or something. They said they couldn’t give me obc but could do a upgrade free of charge. I did receive an offer to upgrade through the ncl advantage program about a week ago but felt the prices were way more then I was willing to pay. So luckily with calling I was able to get an upgrade to a higher floor and went from a mini suite to a family mini suite on a higher deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums