Is formal night in MDR enforced?

We're going to be on the Adventure of the seas. Normally we would not mind bringing extra clothes but we're cruising with a 7month old and we'll have enough stuff to pack/bring worry about. The last thing I want to do is iron a shirt. I don't plan to show up in flip flops and pjs or something. But was just wondering if they actually enforce "formal night" or you can just show up in khakis and a polo and it's fine.

We're going to be on the Adventure of the seas. Normally we would not mind bringing extra clothes but we're cruising with a 7month old and we'll have enough stuff to pack/bring worry about. The last thing I want to do is iron a shirt. I don't plan to show up in flip flops and pjs or something. But was just wondering if they actually enforce "formal night" or you can just show up in khakis and a polo and it's fine.

You will be more than fine.

In part it depends upon you. While most of the time they will say nothing they could. Since the dress code is only the suggested or recommended dress code they really cannot enforce it. Moreover they do not want confrontation with guests. So if someone does say something and you protest that the dress code is not a requirement and just walk to your table nothing will be done.

But as I have already said, in most cases nothing will be said.

We're cruising with a 7month old and we'll have enough stuff to pack/bring worry about.

The last thing I want to do is iron a shirt.

There are no self service laundry/ironing rooms on Royal Caribbean ships. Your shirt would have to be ironed before your cruise or sent out to be pressed while onboard.

;)

There are no self service laundry/ironing rooms on Royal Caribbean ships. Your shirt would have to be ironed before your cruise or sent out to be pressed while onboard.

;)

Not that we would use it but can you borrow an iron from the steward?

In a word - no. My sister and I are just off Adventure a couple of weeks ago. Only went to the MDR once (my time dining) and it was formal night. We actually saw people walking out with jeans and shorts. We dressed comfortably and didn't feel out of place.

I brought a suit on board and had it pressed before formal night for $10. I think dry cleaning cost $13. This was a fine deal by me and I took it. I think getting a shirt pressed cost $5.

Edited by bolocheese

To answer the OP's question: Staff usually does not enforce the suggested MDR attire for the evening, (with the exception of wet bathing wear). What I have personally observed is that the Main Dining Room attire suggestions are usually observed by more passengers on longer and/or European cruises than shorter and/or Caribbean cruises.

That being said, wear what YOU feel comfortable wearing. If you feel comfortable wearing casual clothes while others are dressed more formally, then go for it. If, on the other hand, you would feel uncomfortable wearing casual clothes while others are not, well that's up to you to remedy the situation. Personally, I like being a little more overdressed than underdressed.

You will see passengers on both extremes of the clothing spectrum-find YOUR happy place!

Have a great cruise!:)

• 3 weeks later...

To add to this thread, back from AD and although we did not notice shorts on adults on formal night, the 'no shorts rule' was in bold type on the daily Compass. We saw several very dressy people, but most people were business casual. Older crowd. There were a few very young children in shorts.

The dress code is 'Recommended' even for Formal Night.

We were on Adventure in May and saw Tuxes,Suits, Evening Gowns, and yes, even short sleeve flannel shirts complete with rolled up tight left short sleeve holding a pack of cigarettes, camo shorts, construction boots with no socks (pax was complaining to all that they wouldn't let him in wearing his ball-cap), and even neon green halters, mini-skirts, and 7 inch spiked heels.

Do indeed wear what makes you feel comfortable, though I suspect for Suite and Platinum or higher status, they may not let you enter wearing your RCI provided Bathrobe

Khakis and a polo shirt will be absolutely fine for formal nights in the MDR!

Enjoy your cruise! :)

I always feel comfortable, respecting the dress code for the evening. I would be very uncomfortable sitting at a table, where 8 others are dressed up, and I'm wearing a t-shirt. But others feel the word recommended or suggested means that they can do what they want.

I just went to this seminar about basically judging people. I know it's repeated so often that people will not judge you. However, it is human nature for others to make judgements about you. Maybe they are right or wrong, but it will always happen. Even those that say they won't judge will judge. So if you don't mind being judged, and really don't care if everyone around you is dressed nicely, than wear what you want. But don't be surprised if people look at you or talk to you differently after that day. It's just human nature, and I'm going to wear a tie on formal night.