Birth Certificate question

bizzy2010

Thanks for the information, i've made an appointment at the miami office, will have to drive the 5 hours to get it done, but i want to be sure it's done, gotta stop and get passport photos on the way down. I am not looking forward to the 10 hour trip. But, it is what... it is as they say.

Just went through it with my wife, whose Passport was more than 15 years old. Had to go through the complete thing with BC.

Just went through it with my wife, whose Passport was more than 15 years old. Had to go through the complete thing with BC.

I just assumed passports were as long as drivers license... and since the new baby we haven't traveled in 3 years..So this was our first trip on a cruise again, and i was like oh my, glad i looked at it today though..

I just assumed passports were as long as drivers license... and since the new baby we haven't traveled in 3 years..So this was our first trip on a cruise again, and i was like oh my, glad i looked at it today though..

You might want to order an official copy of your birth certificate to have on hand. Not sure how the one you have worked to get your passport but that's water under the bridge. Babies can make time fly by, our youngest just turned 21 and we're like, huh?:')

Thanks for the information, i've made an appointment at the miami office, will have to drive the 5 hours to get it done, but i want to be sure it's done, gotta stop and get passport photos on the way down. I am not looking forward to the 10 hour trip. But, it is what... it is as they say.

My passport had expired as well when I booked a last min cruise, I had an old copy of my birth certificate that I had used before but I wanted to update it as the seal was wearing down, I also sent away for passport card but it did not come in time.

I did not use vital check- I called the town hall where I was born and was able to send away for mine thru them, I sent my payment and request via Fed Ex and sent a Fed ex return envelope with it.

May still be too close for comfort for you but an option to see if they could do that. If someone is located in town you may be able to have them go in and request it and pay for you, then Fed ex it.

Otherwise try to at least enjoy the drive to Miami - and grab some good food while there!

Why be mean?

I am not being mean.

When you have been on this forum longer, you will learn that there are posters on this forum that are post "whores" that will do anything to boost their post count.

Many times their posts will consist of inaccurate information or it is obvious that no attempt was made to read the thread before jumping in.

At least, in this case, we didn't get the outdated information that ALL women change their name when married to be the maiden name as a middle name and her partner's name as the last name.

You might try visacentral.com

Also, call the state of your birth rather than trying to use an outside service to get your birth certificate. Nebraska just mailed mine to me after I gave them my credit card number on the phone. I would also call Carnival. I think it is possible that a combination of an expired passport and a current valid drivers license is adequate.

You might try visacentral.com

Also, call the state of your birth rather than trying to use an outside service to get your birth certificate. Nebraska just mailed mine to me after I gave them my credit card number on the phone. I would also call Carnival. I think it is possible that a combination of an expired passport and a current valid drivers license is adequate.

No, an expired passport is useless.

This is the same certificate i used to get my passport to begin with.

From Pennsylvania. 1970s

Only other option is driving the 5 hours to the passport office in miami and renewing, which is what ill have to do, i can't take the chance it's rejected. I was thinking of heading over to the tampa port... you think they could give me advice with the birth certificate in hand?

I checked Florida for the OP. Pennsylvania was different based on what year oddly.
OP said she was born in PA

Sent from my LM-G710 using Forums mobile app

I am not being mean.

When you have been on this forum longer, you will learn that there are posters on this forum that are post "whores" that will do anything to boost their post count.

Many times their posts will consist of inaccurate information or it is obvious that no attempt was made to read the thread before jumping in.

At least, in this case, we didn't get the outdated information that ALL women change their name when married to be the maiden name as a middle name and her partner's name as the last name.

This. (y)

We just booked a last minute labor day cruise, it's been a few years since the new baby.. i didn't realize now, 10 days before trip that my passport expired in march. So in panic, i start looking everywhere for my birth certificate, can't find it..Finally in the garage i got lucky and found it, it's the original one from 1975... has my foot prints on it, etc.. The seal is no longer on it, you can see where the seal was supposed to be, but it's not there... Vitachek says 40-50 days for a new one.. not happening. I totally forget on my first cruise 12 years ago if my birth certificate had the seal then or not. It's the original certificate though..

If you footprints are on it, than its not your birth certificate. It's a hospital certificate which is not the same.

I know of someone who was able to get a copy of his birth certificate from the school he attended. I thought it was odd that he was able to do so, since he was in his mid to upper 30's at the time. They were packing a couple of days before their cruise, when he realized he did not have his birth certificate. I believe he went to school in Texas. I just couldn't believe they would still have that documentation.

Bizzy where a you located in Florida?

Jacksonville has the Office of Vital Statitics (or some such title), but they are the ones that issues birth certificates. Anyway you can show up to their office and they will issue you a replacement. When I first started to cruise many years ago, that is what I did. At the time you just showed up. I was able to get mine with almost no fuss.

Bizzy where a you located in Florida?

Jacksonville has the Office of Vital Statitics (or some such title), but they are the ones that issues birth certificates. Anyway you can show up to their office and they will issue you a replacement. When I first started to cruise many years ago, that is what I did. At the time you just showed up. I was able to get mine with almost no fuss.

Also, you can order replacement online. It looks like if you use expediated service you can get a replacement in 4 or 5 business days.

Search for "replacement florida birth certificate"

Great advice but OP was born in Pennsylvania.

Ahh, thanks. I was speed reading through the thread.

The funny thing was there was a similiar type thread somewhere on CruiseCritic. Some of the reports were some states, each county has an office where you can get a replacement while others only has one office. After doing some research, I found out Florida one of the latter. All of these years, I thought every county in Florida would have an office, since I was able to go to downtown Jacksonville. A moot point know as both me and my wife have passports and we keep and eye on their expiration dates. We are out of sequnce on year of expiration, so we both keep an eye on them.

We just booked a last minute labor day cruise, it's been a few years since the new baby.. i didn't realize now, 10 days before trip that my passport expired in march. So in panic, i start looking everywhere for my birth certificate, can't find it..Finally in the garage i got lucky and found it, it's the original one from 1975... has my foot prints on it, etc.. The seal is no longer on it, you can see where the seal was supposed to be, but it's not there... Vitachek says 40-50 days for a new one.. not happening. I totally forget on my first cruise 12 years ago if my birth certificate had the seal then or not. It's the original certificate though..

There are a lot of online sites that let you get a new passport in 24 hours, but because yours is expired, it might be a problem, not sure! Good luck!

Made a noon appointment time for today... i was NOT confident on getting the same day if going at noon, reschedule it to 9am, all the horror stories on google and yelp, i didn't experience, except the $20 an hour to park and $2 every 20mins. i had to leave to get gas, so i ended up paying $46 total for parking, since i needed to wait to pickup..which is the story now. arrived at 8:10am an hour early. Walked right in, gave my paperwork after going through security, was given a number. Called within 20 mins, paid. And had a good rapport with the clerk, talking about business. He said it would be tuesday for priority mail. i said i don't wanna take a chance and i can't drive 5 hours to comeback, can you see if i can get it today? He said let me look..and he told me to come back at 230 to get it today. I went back to the car napped and then went to get gas, and publix. Went back to the outside... where there was no line ever at all today to get in, stood around for 30 mins because it wasn't 230, i noticed around 2pm lots of people going in there..and i figured nobody is arriving this late for appointments, so i walked in as well early, and they let me drop off my receipt, again another 10 minutes i was called, got my passport and on the way. During the entire time, nobody was obnoxious or rude, saw one security guard before i left who was very short with people. But, i acted as if i was going to court, or how i would act if i ever had to go court. Yes sir, no ma'am thank yous and have a good day. Being nice to people always helps.

When i got my passport, the room was full of people. Crazy how busy it was at 2pm.

Congratulations on getting your passport renewed with same day service. You did the right thing. A passport in hand is the only document you should have when leaving the country. Sure birth certificates are accepted by the cruise line, but government officials do not need to accept them. If you need to leave the ship for any reason, you will need a passport to board a plane home. If you need to identify yourself to foreign authorities, things will go well if you have a passport.

Have a great time aboard, you can sleep well knowing you carry the gold standard for international travel.

This is the same certificate i used to get my passport to begin with.

From Pennsylvania. 1970s

Only other option is driving the 5 hours to the passport office in miami and renewing, which is what ill have to do, i can't take the chance it's rejected. I was thinking of heading over to the tampa port... you think they could give me advice with the birth certificate in hand?

OP - glad you got it worked out:D

For PA, you can (or at least used to be able to) go to Department of Vital statistics for a new copy of your birth certificate. We did this in 2012 for our passports, since husband's official BC (1972) didn't meet all the guidelines for the passport. I went to Harrisburg (and remember high parking rates too;)) and waited several hours with some knitting. There was also an office in the western part of the state.

Someone mentioned different times for different years. I remember something special for 1976 (Bicentennial) and a longer wait if you wanted the special paper again.

Call Carnival.