Carnival Horizon - 8 Day Eastern Caribbean Semi-Live August 28, 2018

Irene225

Like so many others here, I obsessively read Cruise Critic before trying a new line or ship. It’s my turn to give back with a semi-live update of our trip on the Carnival Horizon!

We are Ashley and Matt, currently living in central Missouri. I say “currently” because Matt is active duty USAF and who knows where we will be in the future. I moved to Missouri from NYC when we got married, so excited to go “home” for a couple of days before the cruise. Yes, it was an adjustment. Yes, I miss the city. Once a NYer, always a NYer. Sidebar: After I take advantage of the Cheers package, ask me about changing my address from Manhattan to Knob Noster, MO and what the post office clerk said to me.

I work in travel, I’m fairly certain I can’t say what I do, lest the gods of CC strike me dead :). I’m excited to have a REAL vacation and have been working 18 hour days to get caught up and hopefully not open my laptop on my own vacation. I haven’t taken a trip without working since 2014!

As far as cruising goes, this is our 7th cruise together in four years. I was admittedly a cruise snob before Matt. Once he showed me the error of my ways, I was hooked. We are not loyal to any particular line but have cruised NCL the most. I’m excited about Horizon and picked this itinerary specifically because it was a new ship and left from Pier 88.

Our last sailing from Manhattan was the Breakaway to Bermuda last year. Here we are under the bridge, just before the police stopped a jumper from splatting on our ship:

4acf45973c4e936d68225e2d7a8c03a8.jpg

Matt enjoying the premium beverage package on Reflection this February:

3b652d6f7c7c2112842bb9a2042bb71a.jpg

Me exploring the travel pillow aisle at Target

864087d95d79599f5b2fd6fdfdd3ef13.jpg

This cruise is coming after an extremely long and difficult year for us. We have clocked a lot of hours in various hospitals this year, dealing with some surgeries and medical issues for me, my stepmom having stage three breast cancer and my dad having a very unexpected triple bypass and subsequent staph infection just four weeks ago. We are VERY EXCITED to give up some responsibility for 8 days and enjoy a mindless, decision-free, fun vacation.

Fair warning: we have a pretty twisted sense of humor so this review will not always be for everyone. I am honest to a fault.

Now that you know what you’re getting into, away we go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pre-Cruise Prep

We just booked this cruise about 6 weeks ago, a little late for us. It was originally meant to be with a group of NY friends, but work conflicts and other issues caused everyone else to dip out one by one. Confession: I can’t even tell you the last time we spent 10 days together without anyone else. We need to make some friends on the ship fast or things are going to get really boring LOL.

In a past life, I worked in advertising for 15+ years and traveled 26 weeks of the year for much of that. I am a pro packer. We are trying to do this cruise carry on only, so forgive me if you see the same dress four times. No one cares anyway.

We booked Horizon for Havana. I’ve been eyeing Havana since Vista was built a few years ago. After spending so much time on the road, I have a developed a case of the Fancies and like spaces that are not open to the masses.

After much debate, we have an extended Aft Facing balcony. We usually do balconies but have never done aft facing so very curious to see what that is like. I think I changed my cabin location four times in the first two weeks... I was very unsettled about deck 9 or deck 8. We will see how it goes!

We have no excursions planned, another rarity for us.

Today’s agenda: finish packing, nephews soccer game, take dogs to dog sitter, fly to my home away from

Home, LGA aka the Pit of Despair.

I will be on this ship on October 20, 2018. I will be following your review closely.

I was wondering if anybody could find out who the Hotel Director, the Food and Beverage Director and their assistants on the ship and if they will be sailing on the October 20, 2018 cruise.

Thank you in advance for your time.

We are on same sailing...Havana inside. Looking forward to a very much needed vacation. Hope to see you and the family at and about..

See you there!! We almost did an interior (have never done one). The logic was that we would use the public spaces of Havana more and not need a balcony. I was torn...

I will be on this ship on October 20, 2018. I will be following your review closely.

I was wondering if anybody could find out who the Hotel Director, the Food and Beverage Director and their assistants on the ship and if they will be sailing on the October 20, 2018 cruise.

Thank you in advance for your time.

If I remember, I will look. But only if you answer... why is this important? I always wonder why people care. Would you not go on the cruise if you didn’t like the answer?

See you there!! We almost did an interior (have never done one). The logic was that we would use the public spaces of Havana more and not need a balcony. I was torn...

We did think about upgrading to a Havana Balcony. However we are trying to squeeze an extra cruise in next year and decided to put the money towards that. Time for DW and I to finish packing !!

Hello ~ my daughter is a senior at UCM in Warrensburg ! We've been to Whiteman several times. She chose the Horizon for graduation next May. Looking forward to your review ! We've visited New York and loved it but you'll love Missouri too after some time. (Once you get over the culture shock!).

Hello ~ my daughter is a senior at UCM in Warrensburg ! We've been to Whiteman several times. She chose the Horizon for graduation next May. Looking forward to your review ! We've visited New York and loved it but you'll love Missouri too after some time. (Once you get over the culture shock!).

Oh hi, Small world! Yes, I am starting to appreciate it, especially how much more affordable everything is and how much SPACE we have! Everything has pros and cons.... my dog is super excited about all of the nature LOL. We just had dinner at Spin at UCM last week. Nice to “meet” you!

Following, we sail on her in April 2019. We are like sponges soaking up all the info we can get.

Love your user name! Yes, I have been the same way... I think I have watched every video on the internet. Excited that we will be on our way in less than 48 hours!

Looking forward to your review, however it will not be live for me. I will have to read it later because I’ll be on the ship too!!!

i23rf6.gif

On good, now I can talk about you and you won’t read it until after. ;). KIDDING! Safe travels!

On good, now I can talk about you and you won’t read it until after. ;). KIDDING! Safe travels!

I know you'll probably be talking about me. Hope to see you at the meet and mingle. If not, look for the big guy in the Eagles Super Bowl shirt in Havana on Tuesday. Also have Cheers, can't wait till it kicks in on Wednesday morning when I get my first cold brew coffee.

I know you'll probably be talking about me. Hope to see you at the meet and mingle. If not, look for the big guy in the Eagles Super Bowl shirt in Havana on Tuesday. Also have Cheers, can't wait till it kicks in on Wednesday morning when I get my first cold brew coffee.

Lol will do. I didn’t even think about cold brew being on Cheers. That changes everything. I love how much is included in Cheers vs the UDP on NCL. We are kind of bummed about them changing the price cap to $20, but will make it work :).

Lol will do. I didn’t even think about cold brew being on Cheers. That changes everything. I love how much is included in Cheers vs the UDP on NCL. We are kind of bummed about them changing the price cap to $20, but will make it work :).

As I have already mentioned in a couple of the current Cheers threads, there is no reason to be bummed about the cap reduction from 50 to 20. There are zero drinks included in Cheers that are in the 20-50 price range. There are 2 liquors that are 17, Roca Patron and Grey Goose VX and some steakhouses have a 20.00 glass of champagne. The important thing is that Alchemy Bar drinks are all included.

As I have already mentioned in a couple of the current Cheers threads, there is no reason to be bummed about the cap reduction from 50 to 20. There are zero drinks included in Cheers that are in the 20-50 price range. There are 2 liquors that are 17, Roca Patron and Grey Goose VX and some steakhouses have a 20.00 glass of champagne. The important thing is that Alchemy Bar drinks are all included.

Oh I know, the marketer in me just liked the sound of it. All good!

:D You just might be talking about me because I just finished packing and if you could see my luggage I am sure the professional packer in you would be horrified!

I am so looking forward to your review. We have our first Carnival cruise booked in The Havana next year. You said you have cruised NCL. You kind of hinted at it but have your cruised in the Haven? I am wondering how they compare with crowds ect..... I know its not the same but the Havens prices have skyrocketed so we are giving this a try.

Looking forward to your live report.