C-Pap

Daisyloo

I know that there are lots of you who use a C-Pap. I have used one for about 4 years and have traveled quite a bit with it.

Something I have been wondering about: Does anyone have any experience with, or advice regarding being away on vacation and having your C-Pap run into problems?

I wonder what we would do if it broke down in Europe or on our transatlantic cruise??

I have used a CPAP for about 10 months now so mine is relatively new and I have taken it on a cruise without problems. I really don't know what I'd do if mine broke down but perhaps you could have it serviced as a safeguard before you travel?

I have traveled with my full size CPAP, sailed on the Konningsdam with it last summer. I now have the travel AirMini that does not use water for humidity, it has a humidity disc. I have traveled with it several times and it is so much easier to use. Not sure what I would do if it stopped functioning, but the company I bought it from has stellar 24/7 customer service and I am sure they would walk me through any troubleshooting I would need to do. They respond within an hour to phone calls and within minutes to text messages

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First thing to know: the odds are in your favor that nothing will go wrong.

I have been using a CPAP since 1995, and have traveled extensively with it in the intervening years.

Last year was the first time there was any sort of problem, and fortunately, it was minor. I noticed the water in the tank wasn't being used as quickly as normally. I suspect the humidifier was gone, but I could use the machine anyway.

I was lucky, since a few months later, at home, it stopped short---never to go again. I don't know what I would have done had that happened on a cruise. Now, as I prepare to leave on another long cruise, I remember what I started this post with: the odds are in my favor.

First thing to know: the odds are in your favor that nothing will go wrong.

I have been using a CPAP since 1995, and have traveled extensively with it in the intervening years.

Last year was the first time there was any sort of problem, and fortunately, it was minor. I noticed the water in the tank wasn't being used as quickly as normally. I suspect the humidifier was gone, but I could use the machine anyway.

I was lucky, since a few months later, at home, it stopped short---never to go again. I don't know what I would have done had that happened on a cruise. Now, as I prepare to leave on another long cruise, I remember what I started this post with: the odds are in my favor.

Thanks Ruth. I know you are right, and chances are I will be fine. I have never had an issue with my machine, and like you said the odds are in my favour. I wonder if any of the crew on board would be able to fix it if there was an issue? I have visions of being mid Atlantic on a ship and not being able to breathe at night!

I wonder if any of the crew on board would be able to fix it if there was an issue? I have visions of being mid Atlantic on a ship and not being able to breathe at night!

I know there are people on the ship who can fix lots of things. I also know that everyone will go above and beyond to do everything in their power to fix it, should your CPAP fail.

IF (a big if) something were to happen, and IF it could not be fixed, you would have to try lots of pillows to help you sleep somewhat sitting up. That should help to alleviate the apnea.

If the infirmary has a wedge, perhaps you could have that to prop you up.

I know that there are lots of you who use a C-Pap. I have used one for about 4 years and have traveled quite a bit with it.

Something I have been wondering about: Does anyone have any experience with, or advice regarding being away on vacation and having your C-Pap run into problems?

I wonder what we would do if it broke down in Europe or on our transatlantic cruise??

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it happened to me. We were doing a 24 day cruise of the Baltics. Day 2 of the cruise my C-Pap died. There was nothing I could do to fix it. Even the Dr. onboard came to see if there was anything he could figure out...nothing!! They did have a couple of C-Pap machines onboard for you to rent. We were so early in the cruise that they wanted $450 for the rental. The only reason I was pissed off is that I had their insurance and they said I would have to pay it and then work it out with the insurance company. I called the insurance company and nobody could give me a straight answer if they would cover it. I admit...I was stupid and told them to stick it. If I had to do it again I would have just paid the money and fought with them later. But to get back to your original question - they did have machines onboard. You might want to call guest services and they may be able to check with the ship.

Helen

Since the recent change in the US tax laws, durable medical equipment (a CPAP machine that is prescribed by your doctor qualifies) is now covered 80% of the cost. You only have to pay 20% of the cost (used to be 50%). So, if you really depend on the CPAP machine, and you are going on an extended cruise, try purchasing a refurbished machine as a spare. They fit into a small carrying case, and the airlines will not count that as one of your carry-ons.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it happened to me. We were doing a 24 day cruise of the Baltics. Day 2 of the cruise my C-Pap died. There was nothing I could do to fix it. Even the Dr. onboard came to see if there was anything he could figure out...nothing!! They did have a couple of C-Pap machines onboard for you to rent. We were so early in the cruise that they wanted $450 for the rental. The only reason I was pissed off is that I had their insurance and they said I would have to pay it and then work it out with the insurance company. I called the insurance company and nobody could give me a straight answer if they would cover it. I admit...I was stupid and told them to stick it. If I had to do it again I would have just paid the money and fought with them later. But to get back to your original question - they did have machines onboard. You might want to call guest services and they may be able to check with the ship.

Helen

Good to know. Thanks.

I gave up using a CPAP 4 years ago but when I was using one I had no problems on cruise ships.

O.P here: I spoke to the company I got my C-pap through, and they say I have had mine for over 5 years and am eligible for a new one. So, we have started the process (needs to be approved by gov't and insurance plan.) But it looks like I will have a new machine well before our cruise at the end of the year, so I will have much less of a concern regarding a mechanical problem whilst away.

I'll be able to breathe easy.;)

I know that's a big relief. Congratulations.

A word of advice: keep the old machine. IF there's ever a problem with the new one (when it gets old, perhaps), it's handy to have a back-up that you can dig out from the back of the closet.

I was fortunate to have my old, working, machine when my last one died. It was a 3-month ordeal getting authorization for a new one, and I was glad I had something to use.

Oh, some of those older machines still work a lot better than the newer ones that are all high-tech. Less involved to break down.

My CPAP was 7 years old, and I was getting nervous about it quitting on me. My problem is not simple snoring, it is that I stop breathing 50-60 times a night, and my sleep was being constantly interrupted. CPAP cured that. Because my original machine was 7 years old, I asked my medicare advantage provider for a new one. I had to get a new prescription from my doc, plus provide a copy of the original sleep study that was done 7 years ago. With all of that, I got a new machine. I had to pay 13 monthly payments of $11, plus a one-time $85 fee for supplies. I keep the old machine as a standby, but it's too big and bulky to carry on a cruise as a backup, especially since my present machine is brand new.

I know that's a big relief. Congratulations.

A word of advice: keep the old machine. IF there's ever a problem with the new one (when it gets old, perhaps), it's handy to have a back-up that you can dig out from the back of the closet.

I was fortunate to have my old, working, machine when my last one died. It was a 3-month ordeal getting authorization for a new one, and I was glad I had something to use.

Oh, some of those older machines still work a lot better than the newer ones that are all high-tech. Less involved to break down.

Good advice Ruth. Thanks.

And you are right about older things often being better made than the newer things.