Uber transfers!

Holey

Hi to all we are on the Equinox in three weeks time we are staying in the Marriott.

A question please if i may.... We are from Great Britain and would like to use Uber but dont know the proceedures and how it works could someone explain please?

Thankyou

Hi to all we are on the Equinox in three weeks time we are staying in the Marriott.

A question please if i may.... We are from Great Britain and would like to use Uber but dont know the proceedures and how it works could someone explain please?

Thankyou

Download the UBER app to your smartphone. Set up your account and include your method of pay (Visa, Discover, etc) and you're ready to go!

When you are ready to find a ride, make sure your location is 'on'.. I have a Samsung so I can turn that on and off manually but my husband has an iPhone and I believe that it's always on, then follow the prompts. An Uber XL will get you a mid-size car that should work very well for you. We use it all the time when we travel into Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

Hope that helps!

jeubank in Iowa City, IA

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

It would probably be possible for you to use an iPad by arranging your ride in advance (Schedule Ride). The difficult part may be that since you don't have internet connectivity you probably won't be able to track the car coming to pick you up and know the license plate and car model.

If your iPad has a sim card this would not be an issue.

I’ve used my iPad Mini with the Uber App and it did fine. At a hotel with internet, which I understand for the OP is the Marriott which has internet, you can order the Uber using your iPad and all will be fine. Follow the instructions below: download the Uber App, get an account and you can then order an Uber.

By the way, what town are you doing this in? Most places now have Uber.

Den

Thankyou

Hi

Is this the Sepember 24 sailing? as I dont seem to see you on the Roll Call.

Which Marriott?

Hi

Is this the Sepember 24 sailing? as I dont seem to see you on the Roll Call.

Which Marriott?

Hello no we are on the 5th but travelling earlier to Miami.

But thankyou

We are staying at Marriott Biscayne bay:cool:

If you can't figure out Uber due to lack of smart phone, there are plenty of cabs downtown. I know they were waiting outside our Hilton on the Saturday we were heading to the Equinox, we took Uber though.

Thankyou

We don't have smart phones. Can we use the app on an I Pad?

Uber does have an app that is supposed to work on iPads. But you would need an iPad that is connected to the internet (via cell or WiFi) and you really need it to stay connected until you get your ride.

As to our friend from across the pond. In order to use Uber or Lyft (their competitor) you need a functioning Smart Phone that is connected to the internet via cell or WiFi. The App is free, but you must first set-up an account (each service has their own account) and register a credit card for payment when you later use the service. The app actually gives you the license plate number and description of the car and driver and allows you to follow the cars progress as it comes to your location. It also allows you to communicate with the driver (via voice or text) in case there is a further need to communicate. At a busy Port I will often call the driver (as he/she nears the port) and tell them exactly where we are waiting. Otherwise you have to be alert for the car and wave it down.

Hank

I’ve used Uber App on my iPhone and my iPad a number of times. Yes, you need Wi-Fi or Cell connection to order the Uber, but it’s not required during the entire time. Once you’ve ordered the Uber ride, the App is handy to watch the approach of the Uber and so on, and if things changed, but once ordered and confirmed, a connection isn’t required.

I ordered a ride at the hotel, and stepped across the street where no connection was available, waited and go the ride.

Den

I think OP will be in Miami? I was told last week that Uber is usually cheaper than a taxi but be aware that the driver may not speak English! (our recent experience).

I'm not trying to deny your experience, but I don't think that is the norm. Have used Uber many times in Miami with no issues. Out of curiosity what language did they speak? There are alot of Cubans and Puerto Ricans in south Florida so I am guessing Spanish?

I’ve used Uber App on my iPhone and my iPad a number of times. Yes, you need Wi-Fi or Cell connection to order the Uber, but it’s not required during the entire time. Once you’ve ordered the Uber ride, the App is handy to watch the approach of the Uber and so on, and if things changed, but once ordered and confirmed, a connection isn’t required.

I ordered a ride at the hotel, and stepped across the street where no connection was available, waited and go the ride.

Den

The reason I said you need to have a connection the entire time is that sometimes (especially in crowded ports) the driver will want to communicate with the client on the exact pick-up point. If you break the connection and no longer have access to the driver you may well miss a phone or text attempt. The bummer is that you would then be charged for a "missed pick up" and later have to deal with Uber to get your money back.

We have used Uber all over the USA (and other parts of the world) and never had a language issue. In fact, our Uber drivers have always been very friendly and we try to cox them to tell us their life story and get interesting tales. In south Florida and NYC we cannot say the same about regular taxi drivers who often have major language limitations (many folks in South Florida only speak Spanish). Uber drivers get rated by each passenger (and vice versa) so there is an incentive to be friendly. And with UBER or Lyft you know the price before you take the ride and do not get cheated. We have had several instances of South Florida taxi drivers who tried to cheat us (usually by taking a longer route) which we find annoying. When one driver once took a very long route from 17th Street to Port Everglades I finally had to tell him I used to live there (in Plantation) and to please stop jerking us around. I finally told him that if he needed directions to the port I would help....but was not going to pay the inflated meter price.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I know if your stay in the US is short, you may not want to get a Sim card, but there are some that will work in the Caribbean when you are in port. That would solve your connectivity issues. Having reliable data in port and in Florida would be a plus. When we travel abroad, we occasionally get a Sim card. But these days, our phone service T-Mobile, gives us free data overseas. You may want to check with your cell provider.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app