Drink package question

taylor1293

This is a different type of a drink package question.

We have cruised the Caribbean several times and often get a drink package when we do. In June, we are going on our first cruise in Europe. Only one sea day and the port days start early and are long.

So...my question is for those who have done both. If you are one that normally gets the drink package when sailing the Caribbean, did you feel that it was a waste of money (the gratuity fee for the promotion) to get it when you sailed in Europe?

Thanks.

We have cruised the Caribbean several times and often get a drink package when we do. In June, we are going on our first cruise in Europe. Only one sea day and the port days start early and are long.

So...my question is for those who have done both. If you are one that normally gets the drink package when sailing the Caribbean, did you feel that it was a waste of money (the gratuity fee for the promotion) to get it when you sailed in Europe?

Thanks.

If you don't drink at night, then save your money. Most people get back from a long day of touristing and get a pre-dinner drink (or three), something with dinner, then a couple of drinks after dinner. That's a lot more $$$ than the gratuity.

Great question, We drink a LOT more on sea days, but with ports everyday we would not drink enough to get the Drink package.

We have a 2 week cruise in Jan. from NYC to the Caribbean and back to NYC. We took the drink package(6 sea days), But we booked a 12 day cruise from Venice to Barcelona with a port everyday but one, We did not take the drink package.

Thanks.

I wouldn't purchase the drink package as I don't drink that much, but if I get it as a perk, it is a no brainer for me. The $17.80 per day in gratuities is only a few drinks a day or about 4 or 5 sodas a day, so well worth it, because I would spend more if I didn't have the package.

What would the experienced drink package purchasers here say to the package if it is given as one of the perks of booking. Yes we paid gratuities on it, but what in people's opinions is the best way to utilize it? We just have never had a package before much less a "free" one. Just want the biggest bang for our time on board. This is our first NCL cruise so we don't really know what to expect. I look forward to some interesting/helpful thoughts.

What would the experienced drink package purchasers here say to the package if it is given as one of the perks of booking. Yes we paid gratuities on it, but what in people's opinions is the best way to utilize it? We just have never had a package before much less a "free" one. Just want the biggest bang for our time on board. This is our first NCL cruise so we don't really know what to expect. I look forward to some interesting/helpful thoughts.

Your "usage" truly depends on you.

But, to give you some ideas, NCL has a DAILY DRINK SPECIAL. So, if the drink of the day (say for example, a Dark & Stormy) is $8.95 each, and 2 of you have 2 of those without the package, you would be paying on your account $8.95 x 4 drinks + 20% = $42.96 just for that day. (this pricing may be outdated!)

With the drink package, it would be $0 additional bill to your account!

With 2 frozen drinks (Mango Meltdowns are VERY popular, as are Mudslides, Miami Vice, Margaritas, etc.) for passenger 1, and 3-4 beers for passenger 2, a couple gets the "value" of their PREPAID SERVICE CHARGES on the beverage package daily.

I highly recommend trying new/different drinks... broaden your horizons, so to speak!

*** But, do keep in mind some items will not be included in/covered by the package! And, knowing what the terms and conditions are is helpful!

Edited by ggTexasGal
addition

We found the rules in Europe are different. We were able to bring liquor on the ship, in fact, there was a liquor store at the embarkment area in Barcelona and everyone stocked up and brought on the ship, no problem. The security over there doesn’t enforce the same liquor rules. I would not get the drink package.

We found the rules in Europe are different. We were able to bring liquor on the ship, in fact, there was a liquor store at the embarkment area in Barcelona and everyone stocked up and brought on the ship, no problem. The security over there doesn’t enforce the same liquor rules. I would not get the drink package.

That’s very good to know. I just assumed the rules were the same as they were in the U.S.

Thanks!

I'm going to piggy back on this OP's question but it pertains to purchasing water. I think I understand that if I purchase an alcohol drink package then both people in the same room has to purchase it. Which is one reason I never purchase the liquor package. I like a glass of wine and a margarita but the hubby isn't a big drinker and even between the two of we'd never drink enough to benefit from what the package costs. Sorry, I digress.....my question is, does the same rule apply to purchasing bottled water? I noticed that there are 12-pk and 24-pk water purchases and I'm considering that. Would I be able to take a bottle off the ship when I leave for shore excursions?

I'm going to piggy back on this OP's question but it pertains to purchasing water. I think I understand that if I purchase an alcohol drink package then both people in the same room has to purchase it. Which is one reason I never purchase the liquor package. I like a glass of wine and a margarita but the hubby isn't a big drinker and even between the two of we'd never drink enough to benefit from what the package costs. Sorry, I digress.....my question is, does the same rule apply to purchasing bottled water? I noticed that there are 12-pk and 24-pk water purchases and I'm considering that. Would I be able to take a bottle off the ship when I leave for shore excursions?

You can leave the ship with whatever you like...

It is not always the case that security doesn't enforce the alcohol rules in Europe and certainly not in BCN.

We often buy wine in ports in Europe to take home. Sometimes security notice it and we have to hand it in until the last day. Sometimes they don't.

And to answer the OP question. I always consider the drink package if available on my European cruises. Even if you are out on a tour, you are often back early afternoon. We usually have a late lunch at about 3.30 - a drink with that. Then you have the late afternoon cocktail .... and there is time for a couple more over dinner. It soon adds up if you don't have a package. You don't have to get up at 6.30 every day for tours.

Edited by ollienbertsmum

Do not rely on this.

I have embarked in Barcelona 7 times over the past few years. There is indeed a wine shop in the embarkment area, which people do use to buy wine to take onboard. The staff in the shop encourage this, telling them how much cheaper it is.

However, on at least 4 of those occasions (I think probably 5 of them), there has been bag inspections as you actually board the ship. I have seen people being told that they have to either pay corkage for all that wine they bought, or leave it behind.

You may get lucky, or you may get very unlucky.

In my experience, the beverage policy is generally not policed quite as strongly in Europe compared to the US, but there isn’t much in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve been on 5 or so European cruises and haven’t noticed that the liquor policy is different. If you reboard with liquor, it’s confiscated and held until the end of the cruise, same as at embarkation. This is an NCL global policy and not a statutory thing, based on what we’ve observed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I personally wouldn’t sail without a drinks package. Even with a port intensive cruise, (for me) having a couple of pre dinner drinks, a wine or 2 with dinner. Then maybe a few more after dinner, chatting with friends (new/old) or listening to some live music, opportunity to try new drinks. Paying the gratituties is a no brainer for me.

Enjoy your cruise!

We had a similar conundrum, we are doing a port intensive 14 day cruise in Europe next year, however being in Australia had the opportunity of either Free at Sea or 50% off second passenger. Doing the sums, taking the latter option saved around $2500USD.

Allowing $200USD for the second perk, that’s still around $2300USD of drinks that no way we could cover.