ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

Thanks to Laszio in the M&G threads, it appears following Gordon, the next Tropical Storm or Hurricane is Florence and current projections include one which brings it to BERMUDA somewhere around the 10th of September and then to the U.S. East Coast.

As we are leaving New York on the Escape on the 9th, that would put us behind getting to Bermuda before she hits ("if") and also impact our direct path to Bermuda.

So, looks like we wait and see (1) where she goes, (2) when, (3) if impact on Bermuda and sea route, "where do we alternately go," and (4) when will NCL start giving us some direct email and website updates.

Again, thanks to Laszio for the heads up.

• Like 1

As we are leaving New York on the Escape on the 9th, that would put us behind getting to Bermuda before she hits ("if") and also impact our direct path to Bermuda. So, looks like we wait and see (1) where she goes, (2) when, (3) if impact on Bermuda and sea route, "where do we alternately go," and (4) when will NCL start giving us some direct email and website updates.

Florence is still just a tropical storm. Lots of rain and wind. Storms are very unpredictable (spaghetti models still not converging on the exact path of the storm). They change all the time.

The cruise line will try to keep the planned itinerary.

If you can not safely sail around the storm (e.g., the storm is over Bermuda when you plan to be in Bermuda), the Captain will switch to an alternate itinerary. Alternates could be the Escape's winter itinerary of Orlando, Nassau, GSC (they have done this in the recent past). Last year in the midst of the multiple Cat 5 hurricanes, our Bermuda cruise went north to Halifax (we actually got 2 days notice of the itinerary change since there was no way to sail south). Switching the itinerary of a cruise ship takes a lot more coordination than driving down the interstate in a RV and switching up rest stops. You have to arrange for some place to dock, you have to arrange for a local agent with shore personnel, you have to contract for shore excursions,,,,, all in the matter of days.

Florence is still just a tropical storm. Lots of rain and wind. Storms are very unpredictable (spaghetti models still not converging on the exact path of the storm). They change all the time.

The cruise line will try to keep the planned itinerary.

If you can not safely sail around the storm (e.g., the storm is over Bermuda when you plan to be in Bermuda), the Captain will switch to an alternate itinerary. Alternates could be the Escape's winter itinerary of Orlando, Nassau, GSC (they have done this in the recent past). Last year in the midst of the multiple Cat 5 hurricanes, our Bermuda cruise went north to Halifax (we actually got 2 days notice of the itinerary change since there was no way to sail south). Switching the itinerary of a cruise ship takes a lot more coordination than driving down the interstate in a RV and switching up rest stops. You have to arrange for some place to dock, you have to arrange for a local agent with shore personnel, you have to contract for shore excursions,,,,, all in the matter of days.

Thanks, similar expressed on M&G thread.

I guess we'll watch and see.

On Anthem OTS this past January on a SC out of NY (never again) we were sauntering behind a nor'easter. Then, due to a medical emergency and orders to full speed to NY, the Captain told us we would have to cross the front. The roughest we've been on, but it was head on. Was up in the Solarium above the Bridge in the early AM hours. What a ride. We're lucky to have great 'sea legs; but it was not a cup of tea for the majority of passengers that night or the next day.

Again, thanks for the informational reply. Much appreciated.

We sailed were to sail to Bahamas during Hurricane Matthew. We got rerouted to Mexico. Still had a great trip and actually got a extra day and half on the ship. Will admit I was upset that we didn’t get to use much of my 18 months of planning/researching. They will take good care of you and will try to do anything and everything not to cancel the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed were to sail to Bahamas during Hurricane Matthew. We got rerouted to Mexico. Still had a great trip and actually got a extra day and half on the ship. Will admit I was upset that we didn’t get to use much of my 18 months of planning/researching. They will take good care of you and will try to do anything and everything not to cancel the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the information.

As of this morning, here's the update on Florence and Bermuda. Whether direct Bermuda or North Atlantic, calling for some rough seas in Bermuda.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/where-is-tropical-storm-florence-headed-in-the-atlantic/70005957

Again, time will tell over the next several days.

Again, thanks.

October of 2016 we were booked to sail to Bermuda with Hurricane Nicole nearing the island. We boarded at regular time, had our muster drill, then we were told that "Bermuda was not an option". So we overnighted in New York and sailed out at about 8 in the morning to Cape Canaveral and a 6 hour stop in Nassau.

October of 2016 we were booked to sail to Bermuda with Hurricane Nicole nearing the island. We boarded at regular time, had our muster drill, then we were told that "Bermuda was not an option". So we overnighted in New York and sailed out at about 8 in the morning to Cape Canaveral and a 6 hour stop in Nassau.

We might have been on the same cruise with you. I spent the next eighteen months fighting with NCL for some additional compensation for a future cruise. Of course that future cruise is the 09/09/18 sailing but I'm hoping this will blow over some, pun only slightly intended, and it won't affect this trip. Fingers crossed for what's worth.

We might have been on the same cruise with you. I spent the next eighteen months fighting with NCL for some additional compensation for a future cruise. Of course that future cruise is the 09/09/18 sailing but I'm hoping this will blow over some, pun only slightly intended, and it won't affect this trip. Fingers crossed for what's worth.

:o

You might want to let us know when you're booking the next one.

:D

That's unbelievable.

Latest..... bwsWTNT21.jpg?201894144914

You're the best source of information on this; hope you'll keep us updated. Best map I've seen.

I'm a novice at TS/H's coming from the Northeast. To my unskilled eyes, it looks like it is expected to track NORTH?

Do you have a link to the site hosting this map?

Again, thanks.

You're the best source of information on this; hope you'll keep us updated. Best map I've seen.

I'm a novice at TS/H's coming from the Northeast. To my unskilled eyes, it looks like it is expected to track NORTH?

Do you have a link to the site hosting this map?

Again, thanks.

Right from the source....... http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20180901/tropical-storm-florence-strengthens

Be cautious. Not hitting Bermuda is good. But it does not necessarily mean that there would safe course to get from the NE to Bermuda (although if the storm continues a easterly track, it will be ok).

That was our problem last year. Bermuda was fine, but we could not get there from NY, so we went north.

Thanks.

Hope it turns out well. If not, we'll make the best of whatever alternative develops. Time to enjoy the ship (recently on Escape end of November first of December last year out of Miami) again, shows, food and drinks.

We can make Bermuda another time if we have to.

Hope it works out; CAVES and WAVES excursion, WildKat power boat excursion and private guide for Cliff Jumping @ Admiralty Park.

Again, thanks.

Thanks.

Hope it turns out well. If not, we'll make the best of whatever alternative develops. Time to enjoy the ship (recently on Escape end of November first of December last year out of Miami) again, shows, food and drinks.

We can make Bermuda another time if we have to.

Hope it works out; CAVES and WAVES excursion, WildKat power boat excursion and private guide for Cliff Jumping @ Admiralty Park.

Again, thanks.

I hope it works out, last thing we want to do is Florida, GSC and Nassau

We were on the Boston to Bermuda cruise that "split" Matthew and Nicole 2 years ago. They got us around Matthew (I got some amazing storm wall shots of Matthew) and into Bermuda early on Monday. They then had to pull us out of Bermuda early on Wednesday (around 8am) as Nicole was right behind us. It was a VERY rough ride out of there and through that entire day and Bermuda took a direct hit from Nicole. Personally, I would have preferred it if they got us out of there on Tuesday night, but no one but the Captain can really say for sure why we stayed as long as we did. We got out fine... though I saw a few people with stitches on that Thursday! We spent an additional day at sea instead and it was fine. As luck would have it (or not have it!) we too are on the cruise leaving out of NY for Bermuda this coming Sunday the 9th. *Sigh* Hoping for better results this time around. ;)

We were on the Boston to Bermuda cruise that "split" Matthew and Nicole 2 years ago. They got us around Matthew (I got some amazing storm wall shots of Matthew) and into Bermuda early on Monday. They then had to pull us out of Bermuda early on Wednesday (around 8am) as Nicole was right behind us. It was a VERY rough ride out of there and through that entire day and Bermuda took a direct hit from Nicole. Personally, I would have preferred it if they got us out of there on Tuesday night, but no one but the Captain can really say for sure why we stayed as long as we did. We got out fine... though I saw a few people with stitches on that Thursday! We spent an additional day at sea instead and it was fine. As luck would have it (or not have it!) we too are on the cruise leaving out of NY for Bermuda this coming Sunday the 9th. *Sigh* Hoping for better results this time around. ;)

YIKES, another repeat experience. Starting to get that Stephen King movie chill. :o

Willl NCLlet us know before we board ship if there is a change in course due to Florence?
Good question. In my experience they are very closed lipped about their plans. Two years ago they were saying there were no changes planned when we checked in but changed the itinerary just prior to the muster drill.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Forums mobile app

Willl NCLlet us know before we board ship if there is a change in course due to Florence?

Good question. In my experience they are very closed lipped about their plans. Two years ago they were saying there were no changes planned when we checked in but changed the itinerary just prior to the muster drill.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Forums mobile app

Agree with all of you pointing out a week is a long time for a storm and the path is far from certain. I have been studying the models and at this early time, most show a curve northward before reaching Bermuda. But that's far from certain. I was on that Breakaway sailing 2 years ago. So many people boarding said they called NCL or asked at check in and they "said we're going!" But there were not one, but TWO hurricanes, one passing between NYC and Bermuda, and one bearing down on Bermuda. What those people really heard was "We're still going" but not WHERE. They waited until we had all checked in and then announced we would wait an extra night before leaving to let the first storm pass, and then we were heading to.. yup: Port Canaveral, and Nassau, but not GSC as we no longer had the time to stop there. But the point is they don't have to say before you sail, and they may very well not decide until that day and not tell you until you board.

P.S. we had over a hundred people get off the ship and leave even though they were told there would be no refund!