Regal Stuck In Kristiansand & Passengers Confined to Cabins

Griller

We're booked on the Regal out of New York on October 6 -- just a few weeks away -- and received an e-mail from Capt. Tim Stringer welcoming us aboard. - EBC

I think you got an email from the Princess computer... that said it was from Capt. Stringer. ;)

To those who were not on the cruise during the power outage, remember, ship happens So we missed some time in a port, missed an excursion. Big deal, I,d rather be safe and sure all onboard. Sometimes things happen, and the biggie, the cruise contract does not guarantee you will make any port on time. Just another reason to take another cruise to see what we missed. They really don’t owe us anything.

In a power outage did the elevator simply not lower to a certain deck (i.e. normal gangway deck) and doors open? I have seen this on other ship and understood it was standard for safety.

If there was a shipwide blackout, then until the emergency generator kicks in, there is no power to lower the elevators, and the emergency generator takes 45 seconds to start, and then a few seconds to come on line. And there may be some interlocks to prevent the emergency generator operating while the shore power is connected, to prevent damage to the emergency generator. What I believe you are referring to is that if a smoke alarm goes off in a fire zone, the elevators in that zone will travel to a middle level deck and the doors will open to allow anyone in them to exit. This way the elevator cab acts as a fire stop in the large chimney of the elevator shaft, preventing the fire from going from deck to deck.

To those who were not on the cruise during the power outage, remember, ship happens So we missed some time in a port, missed an excursion. Big deal, I,d rather be safe and sure all onboard. Sometimes things happen, and the biggie, the cruise contract does not guarantee you will make any port on time. Just another reason to take another cruise to see what we missed. They really don’t owe us anything.

FIL Keith Top Princess rated, after the issues i.e.. room confinement count, stuck in the elevator, missed his most important stop. Ship happens and they don't owe him ship right ? Princess is sure showing confidence system won't fail while underway to New York. Great !! I feel better as a Platinum member now. Ship Happens right?

FIL Keith Top Princess rated, after the issues i.e.. room confinement count, stuck in the elevator, missed his most important stop. Ship happens and they don't owe him ship right ? Princess is sure showing confidence system won't fail while underway to New York. Great !! I feel better as a Platinum member now. Ship Happens right?

Why is there any reason to think that the power will fail while underway? This problem was due to connecting the ship to shore power. Did the shore power fail? Did the shore power station at the pier have a malfunction? Even if this was caused by the shore power adapter on the ship, that is not even connected to the power system anymore once a ship's generator is on line, so there wouldn't be any possible problem from there.

Question is, where does the lability go ? and sooner or latter the ship is going to have to hook up to shore power and hopefully the replaced boards etc. to function correctly. Ok I feel better now my fil,mil and gmil who is 96 on board with wheel chair and breathing assist set-up will be just fine. Recharging the batteries will be fine right and no more fil getting stuck in the elevator when the system got fried. I have faith. Even if they don't offer a free lobster for the inconveniences. Since they are all platinum level right.

Question is, where does the lability go ? and sooner or latter the ship is going to have to hook up to shore power and hopefully the replaced boards etc. to function correctly. Ok I feel better now my fil,mil and gmil who is 96 on board with wheel chair and breathing assist set-up will be just fine. Recharging the batteries will be fine right and no more fil getting stuck in the elevator when the system got fried. I have faith. Even if they don't offer a free lobster for the inconveniences. Since they are all platinum level right.

The liability is on the Norwegian government for requiring shore power, and on the city for not installing or testing the equipment, and on the shore power contractor. I'm not convinced that anything was "fried" though some computers could have been, or UPS's, but more likely everything got corrupted and they had to retrieve data from the backups before putting the hotel system back online. A previous poster stated that it was only the hotel services computer (that tracks passengers on/off the ship, onboard accounts, purchases, etc) that was affected. There are many systems onboard the ship, and most are not interconnected, so loss of the hotel computer system would not affect navigation or automation systems at all.

The emergency generator system, by law, is designed to provide power to only those systems necessary to evacuate the ship, so only partial lighting, elevators, bilge pumps, steering, navigation and communication, engine room automation, and lifeboat davits are powered. The elevators were without power for the short time it took for the emergency generator to get on line. So, yes, charging batteries for the breathing equipment, and the elevators will be fine.

No one is ever guaranteed to make a port. People have missed many events that they had planned in ports including onshore weddings. And always there is someone who blames the captain and wants compensation. I am sure there are some that wanted the ship to just leave without checking all the passengers, etc. It is nice to get some compensation but typically it's a refund of port fees and a drink coupon. Better safe is a good motto.

No one is ever guaranteed to make a port. People have missed many events that they had planned in ports including onshore weddings. And always there is someone who blames the captain and wants compensation. I am sure there are some that wanted the ship to just leave without checking all the passengers, etc. It is nice to get some compensation but typically it's a refund of port fees and a drink coupon. Better safe is a good motto.

In June on the Ruby, we got to port over 6 hours late. Luckily we had no "Ugly Cruisers" on board that I saw. Ship was late due to an ill patient that was taken off by the Canadian Coast Guard after the ship had to divert for several hours. After emergency surgery in a local hospital, the person did live.

I also agree with this. We have a British Isles cruise booked for next year. After over a year’s worth of planning and anticipation' date=' we would be extremely disappointed to pull into Greenock to find that our excursion to Edinburgh is cancelled.[/quote'] I'm sure you would be, but if you're going to cruise, especially on a transatlantic, you need to prepare yourself for the possibility of missing a port. We've done a number of TAs, both EB and WB, and on many of those we missed a port. On our last EB TA we were to stop at Horta, an island west of Ponta Delgada, but it was too windy. Not only did we miss the port, but a trio of female singers who were to board at Horta had to make arrangements to join the ship at the next port. On our first WB TA in 2009, we sailed all the way up the fjord to Akureyri, Iceland, only to find out it was too windy and our ship may not have been able to leave because there are no large tugs there to pull a ship the size of the Crown. Fortunately, we did make it there a few years ago so got to see the spectacular northern part of Iceland. Finally, we have been scheduled to stop at the Shetland Islands three times and have yet to make it--last time, we were just off-shore, but it was too windy to tender. The other two times we never got that close; the first was on our first TA and I had done a lot of research and arranged a private tour for a group of CCers so it was very disappointing. "Weather" and other "stuff" happens.

I do hope your cruise works out as planned!

On the Regal now and some clarifications. Nothing was “fried” but all the servers “crashed.” The systems are complex and it took 1 1/2 days to get everything back up and running. Important things were back within minutes. The security file that keeps track of who is on and off the ship was wiped out with the power failure and that caused the delay in departing from the port. Being “confined” to cabins was a short term inconvenience and no biggie. As to extra lobster, the stuff they serve on cruise ships is hardly worth the effort 🥜

Changes in port times and itineraries are a common occurrence on cruises and always a bummer. But that is just part of the cruise game

Hank

As to extra lobster, the stuff they serve on cruise ships is hardly worth the effort
Normally I would agree with you, Hank, we never order them. However, the lobster tails in the MDR last night looked pretty good, so against what I thought would be better judgement I ordered some. They turned out to be quite good...not dry and pasty. I'm wondering if they picked them up in a cold water port before the crossing.

So reading all of this begs the question: Will headlines ever read:

NORWAY BOWS TO

ANGRY ENTITLED PRINCESS PASSENGERS,

OFFERS FREE LOBSTER DINNER ON THE NEXT VISIT

Or maybe:

ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS AN OFFER FOR

ANGRY ENTITLED PRINCESS PASSENGERS,

OFFERS FREE LOBSTER DINNER IF THEY MAKE A BOOKING ON RCI.

Normally I would agree with you, Hank, we never order them. However, the lobster tails in the MDR last night looked pretty good, so against what I thought would be better judgement I ordered some. They turned out to be quite good...not dry and pasty. I'm wondering if they picked them up in a cold water port before the crossing.

Can't say I liked the way it was served on a bed of green risotto which they told us was flavored with pesto.

Guess I like my lobster plain eith garlic and drawn butter.

To those who feel the need to have every second of your life structured to the nth degree, and think that nothing will ever go south on a cruise ship, then you better rethink your vacation plans. Perhaps cruising is not for you.

Like️:D

Can't say I liked the way it was served on a bed of green risotto which they told us was flavored with pesto.

Guess I like my lobster plain eith garlic and drawn butter.

There was no risotto, green or otherwise, served with lobster tails in the MDR on the second formal night...just the lobster, a crab cake, and vegetables.

We agree...drawn butter is a must. :D

There was no risotto, green or otherwise, served with lobster tails in the MDR on the second formal night...just the lobster, a crab cake, and vegetables.

As it was served how I described on the second formal night of the previous cruise before the Transatlantic we did not go go the MDR this cruise on second formal night.

Maybe you are just on the Transatlantic?

As it was served how I described on the second formal night of the previous cruise before the Transatlantic we did not go go the MDR this cruise on second formal night.

Maybe you are just on the Transatlantic?

We are...boarded in Copenhagen.

The lobster served on green risotto was served last night on this sector of the cruise. This was the third formal night of the Transatlantic.

We ordered it plain with no risotto and had 3 tiny but tender lobsters on a plate.

The lobster served on green risotto was served last night on this sector of the cruise. This was the third formal night of the Transatlantic.

We ordered it plain with no risotto and had 3 tiny but tender lobsters on a plate.

The so called lobster tail was about the size of a giant shrimp. It did taste Ok but ordering 2 or 3 might make sense.

The Regal is in Halifax tomorrow where folks can get a real lobster:D

Hank