Parents Going on First Cruise. What are the best tips and tricks?

mrschrod

Hi! I've been on the Koningsdam a few times and really liked it. Things I haven't seen mentioned yet are that HAL will let you stay in your stateroom on disembarkation day...to a point. They usually ask you to clear out by 10 even if you've got a later disembarkation time, so it's good but not perfect. I've also read you can order room service breakfast on the last morning though I've never tried it. Also the buffet closes at strange times - last year it closed for the night at 8pm which seemed really early to us. There are other options open later like the main dining room, the pizza & sandwich place, and room service. Also the New York Deli (aka the pizza & sandwich place) does a nice breakfast if you're in the mood for something light (bagels, breakfast sandwich, fruit salad) and don't want to deal with the buffet crowds.

Hi! I've been on the Koningsdam a few times and really liked it. Things I haven't seen mentioned yet are that HAL will let you stay in your stateroom on disembarkation day...to a point. They usually ask you to clear out by 10 even if you've got a later disembarkation time, so it's good but not perfect. I've also read you can order room service breakfast on the last morning though I've never tried it. Also the buffet closes at strange times - last year it closed for the night at 8pm which seemed really early to us. There are other options open later like the main dining room, the pizza & sandwich place, and room service. Also the New York Deli (aka the pizza & sandwich place) does a nice breakfast if you're in the mood for something light (bagels, breakfast sandwich, fruit salad) and don't want to deal with the buffet crowds.

Some clarifications here...In order to allow the new pax on, they will be pushing you off by 9:30. They latest scheduled debarkation time might be 9:45 (and you can stay in your cabin until then), but they will move these along very quickly, and you will not have a debarkation time after 10. They are "last calling" before 10am.

Some clarifications here...In order to allow the new pax on, they will be pushing you off by 9:30. They latest scheduled debarkation time might be 9:45 (and you can stay in your cabin until then), but they will move these along very quickly, and you will not have a debarkation time after 10. They are "last calling" before 10am.

Yes as she mentioned her parents have been on Carnival before I'm sure they're aware how disembarkation times work. I was attempting to share a cool fact about how HAL advertises you won't have to clear your room as early as the other lines make you.

10am wasn't intended as a specific example but they do always end up behind on disembarkation. On the Koningsdam in the past, I've had a time slot just before 10, been told to leave my room sometime after 9, and not had my group called to disembark until almost 11.

My main advice to novice cruisers is to be sure to read the daily program that is delivered to the cabin each evening, and mark the things that might be of interest. Daytime events might happen only once each, and will start right on time. The timing of the evening shows and other activities can vary. And if going ashore in the ports, it is important to know what time to be back onboard.

We like the Pinnacle Grill for lunch. They have an excellent menu, and it's much cheaper.

Some cruise lines call first seating main seating, and late, while others call it early and main. So, be sure to specify early instead if you wish the first seating.

We like HAL's room service, and always bring a stack of one dollar bills for tipping. We tip more if it's w/in the first half hour. I think the crew get to know the tippers, because the deliveries keep getting earlier and earlier!

They offer a $50 soda value card for $25, and we've used it a few times. We also like the specialty coffee (extra fee).

We get too nervous when booking private excursions, so we just book them through the ship. But HAL isn't as generous offering refunds as with Royal Caribbean. We had a few excursions that the staff mentioned politely to our complaints, and one even had us fill out a form, but no compensation. If we return to that port, we won't be booking anything. But that's down in New Zealand, so no worries here. I have a list of questions for private excursions, and only one excursion company has passed my list.

I'd be careful in Nassau, I'd stay with the group. I hear they have a lot of crime. The last time we visited Nassau, we stayed on the ship.

HAL has a wonderful laundry service that's either $20 per bag, or $7 per day (US itineraries) for unlimited.

We've never sailed Carnival, so can't comment.

Regarding the comment about older adults in their 60s, we resemble that. If the seas get choppy (usually the captain warns you), be sure to keep a hand free to grab a railing. We always take the elevators when at sea.

I've heard of some weirdness where the Pacific and Caribbean sea meet.

On our transpacific, I reached to the night table stand for something, the ship lurched and I found myself on the floor. But that's mostly ocean travel.

Oh, also drinks. Happy hour, buy one, get one for a dollar.

We like the Pinnacle Grill for lunch. They have an excellent menu, and it's much cheaper.

Some cruise lines call first seating main seating, and late, while others call it early and main. So, be sure to specify early instead if you wish the first seating.

We like HAL's room service, and always bring a stack of one dollar bills for tipping. We tip more if it's w/in the first half hour. I think the crew get to know the tippers, because the deliveries keep getting earlier and earlier!

They offer a $50 soda value card for $25, and we've used it a few times. We also like the specialty coffee (extra fee).

We get too nervous when booking private excursions, so we just book them through the ship. But HAL isn't as generous offering refunds as with Royal Caribbean. We had a few excursions that the staff mentioned politely to our complaints, and one even had us fill out a form, but no compensation. If we return to that port, we won't be booking anything. But that's down in New Zealand, so no worries here. I have a list of questions for private excursions, and only one excursion company has passed my list.

I'd be careful in Nassau, I'd stay with the group. I hear they have a lot of crime. The last time we visited Nassau, we stayed on the ship.

HAL has a wonderful laundry service that's either $20 per bag, or $7 per day (US itineraries) for unlimited.

We've never sailed Carnival, so can't comment.

Regarding the comment about older adults in their 60s, we resemble that. If the seas get choppy (usually the captain warns you), be sure to keep a hand free to grab a railing. We always take the elevators when at sea.

I've heard of some weirdness where the Pacific and Caribbean sea meet.

On our transpacific, I reached to the night table stand for something, the ship lurched and I found myself on the floor. But that's mostly ocean travel.

Oh, also drinks. Happy hour, buy one, get one for a dollar.

I may be wrong but I think it’s the $25 soda card that gives you a $50 value must be purchased before you board. Is that correct? Also, the happy hour drinks are now buy one, get one for two dollars.

We met some of the nicest people in Nassau!! We were there for 4 days and went to a local bar. The owner actually drove

us back to the hotel when we said we were walking. We had breakfast in a local place in the middle of town ( Souse!!!) every day and were warmly welcomed and frankly coddled. There may be crime in Nassau but we experienced nothing but love...[emoji23]. I’d love to visit again even if just for a day on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I may be wrong but I think it’s the $25 soda card that gives you a $50 value must be purchased before you board. Is that correct? Also, the happy hour drinks are now buy one, get one for two dollars.

On our Transpacific last fall, we pre-purchased two, and bought one onboard from the front desk. As I understand it, if they use up $25, they won't get any money refunded. So, basically, they're paying for the first $25 and the next $25 value on the card is free. We did three cards on our South Pacific, and none on the Pacific Coastal and Alaska. We're not much into the soft drinks on the cold weather itineraries. They're not much into selection. We had a lady on the transpacific that picked up some soft drinks in one of the ports, because she was sick of the selection of soft drinks.

We had around a dollar left on the first card, and they didn't apply it to the drink before starting the next card.

Wanted to mention, great job bringing your parents!

Be sure to study their activities on the EXC tours. Our parents took us to Tikal, and it was too strenuous for them and us. But we couldn't have kept Daddy from going. It turned out to be the last great trip for the combined family.

If the ship has the Sip & Savor offered, I would recommend they try it at least once. It will be listed in the daily activities, around 5 pm, in a lounge. A chance to try a glass of wine, learn a bit about the wine, and have a specially made "nibble" to go with it. Very inexpensive, IIRC, around $5/person.

A note on the anytime dining. Your parents can ask for a table for just two but, and this is not for all people, we have enjoyed being flexible and tell the Maitre'D that we would be happy to sit with any size group. It will typically be a table from 6 to 10 and you can meet some really interesting people that way. Service will take a bit longer with a table that size but most times the conversation can be really enjoyable and different each night.

Edited by old mike
Grammer

We really enjoyed our Grand Turk excursion which consisted of seeing sea life from a submarine, visiting one of the beautiful beaches, visiting a turtle farm, and a few other stops. Our guide (Trevor?) was wonderful--a former school teacher who now does tours full-time. First time we'd ever seen a blue iguana which was also exciting.

Dive-In Burger for sure. We love Canaletto meals. We've had mixed experiences with Pinnacle Grille, but this last cruise, the food was superb. Extra cost is $15 pp for Canaletto and I think $25 pp for Pinnacle? The made-to-order omelets in Lido are extraordinary, as are all of the desserts.

I would also second bringing some warm clothing. It was pretty chilly when we were in the Caribbean in January. I get cold easily so I was definitely glad I brought a sweatshirt & fleece jogging pants. Sitting on a verandah when the ship is moving can be chillier than one might think.

Hope your parents have a wonderful time!

We really enjoyed our Grand Turk excursion which consisted of seeing sea life from a submarine, visiting one of the beautiful beaches, visiting a turtle farm, and a few other stops. Our guide (Trevor?) was wonderful--a former school teacher who now does tours full-time. First time we'd ever seen a blue iguana which was also exciting.

Dive-In Burger for sure. We love Canaletto meals. We've had mixed experiences with Pinnacle Grille, but this last cruise, the food was superb. Extra cost is $15 pp for Canaletto and I think $25 pp for Pinnacle? The made-to-order omelets in Lido are extraordinary, as are all of the desserts.

I would also second bringing some warm clothing. It was pretty chilly when we were in the Caribbean in January. I get cold easily so I was definitely glad I brought a sweatshirt & fleece jogging pants. Sitting on a verandah when the ship is moving can be chillier than one might think.

Hope your parents have a wonderful time!

The price at Pinnacle Grill has gone up quite a bit. $37.50, I think. We didn’t like Canaletto originally but love the newer revised version. Wouldn’t give it a miss. Some people complain about paying a surcharge to eat in an area of the Lido buffet but I am much more interested in the meals that are served, not where I’m sitting.

If its not too late, I would pick a different cruise for your parents, unless they are big beach and/or pool people. As already mentioned, 3 of the ports are basically day at the beach situations - some people love this, others not so much.

The Koningsdam is a great ship and much more modern that the rest of the HAL fleet (IMO).

HAL has much better room service that Carnival and most other lines. The hot breakfasts are very good. ALSO, you can have room service deliver dinner to your cabin with items from that day's menu (you have to order during a special time, so check with the front desk or room service to find out when). This is a great option if you do not feel like going out to dinner that evening.

Much more we like about HAL, but most of them have already been discussed.