Where to rent jeep and explore between Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan or Grand Turk

iamchrisstone

We are doing a cruise on the Carnival Breeze December 15-23. My girlfriend and I are wanting to rent a jeep and explore one of the spots while the teenagers do their thing. What place would you recommend the best for this?

We would want to explore, drone, take pics, etc.

Thanks!

We are doing a cruise on the Carnival Breeze December 15-23. My girlfriend and I are wanting to rent a jeep and explore one of the spots while the teenagers do their thing. What place would you recommend the best for this?

We would want to explore, drone, take pics, etc.

Thanks!

None of the above. First, unless the teens are 18+ and staying in port, there is too much risk having them on shore excursions apart from you - most require an adult. Second, you can explore more cost effectively by hiring local transportation.

Grand Turk is pretty small. If you want to see the island, the easiest thing to do is walk towards Jack's Shack and take the tram.

San Juan itself is very urban and best explored on foot. If you want to go to the rain forest, again, it is easier to book a tour there.

Amber Cove is in a remote location and I am not aware of any car rentals nearby. Once you exit the port, there is no significant development around. If you want adventure, might I suggest the group do the waterfalls? DR is really a beautiful island - but much of it undeveloped.

St. Thomas - I grew up with DC traffic and there is no way I would want to drive here. First, its the opposite side of the road, on winding cliffs with drivers that make NY cabbies look tame. It is very easy to hire a driver for the day and sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery; a basic island tour can be set up in advance for under $35 pp. They will cater to your desires and take you to places to fly the drone etc.

And I don't give this advice lightly as I have rented a jeep and toured St. Martin independently. So I speak from experience.

If you plan carefully, you can (depending on your time in port) rent a car in St. Thomas and then ferry over to St. John. They have beautiful beaches, most of them very secluded.

Now that I'm thinking of it, didn't they have a hurricane there recently? This may be bad advice! Check the Destinations board for St. John!

some car rental do not allow their cars on the ferry, especially the big 3. There are some inexpensive smaller car rental companies with older cars that will allow the ferry ride. The ferry is $45 RT, they run every hour. St John is amazing.

some car rental do not allow their cars on the ferry, especially the big 3. There are some inexpensive smaller car rental companies with older cars that will allow the ferry ride. The ferry is $45 RT, they run every hour. St John is amazing.

You know, now that you mention it, I remember that we rode the ferry over and rented the jeep once we got to St. John!

None of the named ports.

The one island where a rental really makes sense is St. Maarten.

We did this years ago in St. Maarten and it was wonderful - I think St. Maarten has the most beautiful beaches of any island I've visited. But even then the traffic was a NIGHTMARE. Now, after the major hurricane damage last year, I'm reading that it's much worse. We're stopping there in December and I'm considering doing an excursion through the ship just because of worries about making it back from wherever we go.

None of the above. First, unless the teens are 18+ and staying in port, there is too much risk having them on shore excursions apart from you - most require an adult. Second, you can explore more cost effectively by hiring local transportation.

Grand Turk is pretty small. If you want to see the island, the easiest thing to do is walk towards Jack's Shack and take the tram.

San Juan itself is very urban and best explored on foot. If you want to go to the rain forest, again, it is easier to book a tour there.

Amber Cove is in a remote location and I am not aware of any car rentals nearby. Once you exit the port, there is no significant development around. If you want adventure, might I suggest the group do the waterfalls? DR is really a beautiful island - but much of it undeveloped.

St. Thomas - I grew up with DC traffic and there is no way I would want to drive here. First, its the opposite side of the road, on winding cliffs with drivers that make NY cabbies look tame. It is very easy to hire a driver for the day and sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery; a basic island tour can be set up in advance for under $35 pp. They will cater to your desires and take you to places to fly the drone etc.

And I don't give this advice lightly as I have rented a jeep and toured St. Martin independently. So I speak from experience.

Yes yes yes a million times this.

If you want a private tour hire a cab they don't cost that much (50-100 depending on how long) and they know their islands.

If your dreaming of a costal drive with the wind in your hair and sun shinning. you will be disappointed.