Cell phones on cruise

GMRPHRN

JH had a letter on his page about a guest complaining about a cell phone bill after the cruise. It's hard for me to understand how people are still missing this.  Why would you think your cell service would remain the same in the middle of the ocean or in a foreign port? Lots of info on the boards and CCL's website about phones. I can't remember what information they gave us once on board. I always put my phone on airplane mode but seems like when I forget, I get a message from my carrier warning me.  I know when I was in Alaska and we crossed over to Canada we got a warning.  

It's just like the complaint he had about missing the ship in port and wanting CCL to compensate their expenses because the ship didn't wait. You wouldn't expect the airline to compensate you if you didn't make it by flight time. 

Are people just not as informed as the people on these boards?  Do they just take trips without any research?  

Just amazed (thanks for letting me rant.)

• Like 1

I think people don't do any research.

I think some people expect to be spoon fed information too.

I once read a review on cc where a cruise passenger sat in their cabin all of the first night on board while they waited for a crew member to collect them and take them to dinner.!!!

• Haha 3

I tend to over-research everything on my vacation. It's just me.  I do not know how some people can go without any planning. I just saw a post with some really basic questions that are easily answered by reading a little on CCL's site. Seems people don't want to do the work.

• Like 1

We just got back from our first cruise, and one of the first things I did before we left home was check into cell service. I called my cell phone company to let them know I was traveling and they told me in great detail what I would be charged for on the ship as well as in each port. It was a simple 10 min conversation, but I also don't understand why anyone would think it wouldn't cost extra to use a cell phone on a ship in the middle of the ocean?

10 hours ago, kerryincork said:

I think people don't do any research.

I think some people expect to be spoon fed information too.

I once read a review on cc where a cruise passenger sat in their cabin all of the first night on board while they waited for a crew member to collect them and take them to dinner.!!!

They really watched the Love Boat. 

10 hours ago, GMRPHRN said:

JH had a letter on his page about a guest complaining about a cell phone bill after the cruise. It's hard for me to understand how people are still missing this.  Why would you think your cell service would remain the same in the middle of the ocean or in a foreign port? Lots of info on the boards and CCL's website about phones. I can't remember what information they gave us once on board. I always put my phone on airplane mode but seems like when I forget, I get a message from my carrier warning me.  I know when I was in Alaska and we crossed over to Canada we got a warning.  

It's just like the complaint he had about missing the ship in port and wanting CCL to compensate their expenses because the ship didn't wait. You wouldn't expect the airline to compensate you if you didn't make it by flight time. 

Are people just not as informed as the people on these boards?  Do they just take trips without any research?  

That's funny you think people are these boards are informed.  

And how many people take off on a cruise and never inform their credit card company that they are cruising and will be using their cards.  Then they can't figure out why their card has been flagged and they can't use it.   Or how many will use a debit card and then complain to Carnival that their bank has put a hold on their card.   

Before our first cruise, I could tell you the length, width, decks, speed, layout, everything there was to know about the ship.  That was in 1999 and cell phones then were rarely used, unlike today.  There was no internet on the ships.  Only communication for back home was the ship's phones that cost an arm and a leg per minute.

I don’t see why you would complain to carnival or John herald about your cell phone bill; but I can see how it happens.

cruising is often sold to people who are not international travelers. They don’t need to get a passport, don’t need to exchange money, and are assured that everyone will speak English everywhere they go. I know people who take their annual vacation to Florida and one year decide to take a cruise from Florida instead. In their minds, it’s basucallu still a trip to Florida where they just need to bring their birth certificate. I can see it not occurring to you that you are in fact a. Leaving the country and b. Going to be out of cell phone range. Especially if you don’t have a good understanding of how cell phones work and just that they do work (and are included in your plan) everhwree YOU have ever been before.

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t see why you would complain to carnival or John herald about your cell phone bill; but I can see how it happens.

cruising is often sold to people who are not international travelers. They don’t need to get a passport, don’t need to exchange money, and are assured that everyone will speak English everywhere they go. I know people who take their annual vacation to Florida and one year decide to take a cruise from Florida instead. In their minds, it’s basucallu still a trip to Florida where they just need to bring their birth certificate. I can see it not occurring to you that you are in fact a. Leaving the country and b. Going to be out of cell phone range. Especially if you don’t have a good understanding of how cell phones work and just that they do work (and are included in your plan) everhwree YOU have ever been before.

I believe this is part of it. I come from Europe and I have heard many horror stories from friends about the time they went on holiday and forgot to turn off roaming and back with €1000's on their bills

Not sure why so many people don't have common sense anymore.  Even as newbies, we had enough sense to turn the phones off.  Well, everyone except our oldest daughter, who kept hers on unbeknownst to us, so she could receive texts from her boyfriend.  They each paid half of the bill for all the text messages.

I'm also puzzled by all the people who rely on John Heald to make all their problems go away or why they expect him to get them free stuff.  I mean, our family cruise next year will be our 40th anniversary, my 60th birthday, one daughter's 10th anniversary all in that year, just not during that week.  Should I be writing to him to give us a bunch of free stuff?  

1 hour ago, dmdiver said:

I'm also puzzled by all the people who rely on John Heald to make all their problems go away or why they expect him to get them free stuff.  I mean, our family cruise next year will be our 40th anniversary, my 60th birthday, one daughter's 10th anniversary all in that year, just not during that week.  Should I be writing to him to give us a bunch of free stuff?  

I wholeheartedly agree about this. I love to read his page. Yesterday, I scrolled through the list of people asking for something special for events. I think people should reserve that for asking for special help such as proposals, scattering ashes, etc. If you want something special for an event there are the Fun Shops to provide it.

I am also amazed at the people who get offended from the least little thing. Like congratulating someone proposing in the steakhouse as one poster complained. Did it really ruin the person's meal? Doubtful. Most of the complaints people should just mind there own business. Your vacation is what you make of it and I refuse to let anyone ruin mine. Does what people wear in the dining room affect my meal? Absolutely not. Have I been frightened by the monkey hanging from the ceiling, yes, would I make a federal case of it? No. As a society we are supposed to be moving toward being more tolerant of others yet we seem to be less tolerant of everything around us.

8 hours ago, GMRPHRN said:

I wholeheartedly agree about this. I love to read his page. Yesterday, I scrolled through the list of people asking for something special for events. I think people should reserve that for asking for special help such as proposals, scattering ashes, etc. If you want something special for an event there are the Fun Shops to provide it.

I am also amazed at the people who get offended from the least little thing. Like congratulating someone proposing in the steakhouse as one poster complained. Did it really ruin the person's meal? Doubtful. Most of the complaints people should just mind there own business. Your vacation is what you make of it and I refuse to let anyone ruin mine. Does what people wear in the dining room affect my meal? Absolutely not. Have I been frightened by the monkey hanging from the ceiling, yes, would I make a federal case of it? No. As a society we are supposed to be moving toward being more tolerant of others yet we seem to be less tolerant of everything around us.

It doesn't help when people demand free stuff because their 3rd cousin's neighbor's dog had puppies and he sends them crap.  He should be suggesting The Brilliant Fun Shops for 99% of requests.  He also complains that people don't say please or thank you but still rewards them.  

40 minutes ago, BigCruze said:

If John encourages this on writing him for request why should it really bother you. Does this ruin your vacation? Smh 

I didn't say it "bothered me" just stating what I think.  And no, it doesn't ruin my vacation. But thanks for the chuckle.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, GMRPHRN said:

Good rant.  I agree with your thoughts.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2018 at 8:15 AM, GMRPHRN said:

I think people who participate in CruiseCritic are more likely to be informed, and more likely to be the people who do research and learn before they go.   

The cruise lines do somewhat promote the idea of "just turn up and we'll take everything from there."  However, even then the lines have information on their websites for people to help them prepare.