Booking Magic Carpet

Presto2

Hi, we have already booked our dining options for our cruise in August 2019. Thought we would get in quick !

We are looking for something special for our 25th wedding anniversary and automatically thought of the Magic Carpet.

At the minute this is the only dining option we can not book.

Does anyone know if this is normal or why?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, we have already booked our dining options for our cruise in August 2019. Thought we would get in quick !

We are looking for something special for our 25th wedding anniversary and automatically thought of the Magic Carpet.

At the minute this is the only dining option we can not book.

Does anyone know if this is normal or why?

Thanks

It is my understanding you can only book in onboard. We have two sailings in January - there is no option for booking MC.

Presto, if in a suite, I would head to the Retreat concierge and get your name in or if not head to a specialty dining desk as soon as you board. I am heading to the Retreat concierge or dining desk to ask about it as soon as I board. Better yet, the MC Maitre 'D could be at the restaurant when you board so could check with him/her.

They won't let you book until you board (though I imagine the upper suites might be able to book when the shore concierge calls them) and there will be a limited number of seats. The MC only holds 100 max and I imagine Dinner on the Edge will have less because they bill it as exclusive.

The other option, if you like seafood, is to book a seat in the Magic Carpet side when it is parked next to Raw on 5. It looks like that will be at dinner on some nights. It won't be as dramatic a view, but still nice. You also have to wait to book that onboard.

They also mentioned in one press release that they may do some special dinners out there - I'm not sure if that is just an additional Dinner on the Edge with a theme?

Anyway, there will be options, but if we snooze, we lose. I think we will have to be very proactive. :classic_smile:

You could try emailing this Edge dining supervisor to get more info (if she is still there): Ivrhovec@rccl.com (Ivana’s email).

Good luck!! 🍴

Edited by vtcruising

5 minutes ago, hvsteve1 said:

This is only a guess, but the suites will have their own lounge in the new terminal. I would guess the Retreat concierge might have a desk there to get started on bookings.

I hadn't thought of that - would be a nice idea to have that option if people arrive before the ship is cleared.

People should also be prepared that even if they get a reservation once they board that it could be cancelled during the cruise due to inclement weather since the MC dining doesn't look like it can operate if it's very windy or raining. If that happens though the likelihood of being able to rebook for another night will probably be slim since I assume everyone will be rushing to book this once they get onboard.

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

People should also be prepared that even if they get a reservation once they board that it could be cancelled during the cruise due to inclement weather since the MC dining doesn't look like it can operate if it's very windy or raining. If that happens though the likelihood of being able to rebook for another night will probably be slim since I assume everyone will be rushing to book this once they get onboard.

I wonder if it will have the plastic curtain for the front, if raining, similar to the Lawn Club Grill. The ends are enclosed. I agree though that there will be times when no one would want to be out there. Of course, all I can picture is a beautiful moonlit night. :classic_smile:

Many thanks everyone. Really good tips. As it is our 25th on the 20th just worried about having nowhere special to eat so will book something else in case WE can't book the magic carpet. Not sure if any e knows what the cancellation time is for bookings . Thanks again everyone 

22 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Many thanks everyone. Really good tips. As it is our 25th on the 20th just worried about having nowhere special to eat so will book something else in case WE can't book the magic carpet. Not sure if any e knows what the cancellation time is for bookings . Thanks again everyone 

Good idea to have a back up plan. I think I would book the Steakhouse for a special occasion for us. We are booked there on our first nights of our Dec 1 and Jan 20 cruises. I am really looking forward to dining there. 🥩🍷

Edited by vtcruising

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I would book the Finecut..for a special  Celebration   We have that booked ..

Also booked Rooftop Garden for a port night..could also be impacted by bad weather...hoping for a nice sunset but no guarantees!

Not booking the MC for dinner....but might see what's out there ...fear of heights@

On 10/19/2018 at 3:54 PM, vtcruising said:

Presto, if in a suite, I would head to the Retreat concierge and get your name in or if not head to a specialty dining desk as soon as you board. I am heading to the Retreat concierge or dining desk to ask about it as soon as I board. Better yet, the MC Maitre 'D could be at the restaurant when you board so could check with him/her.

They won't let you book until you board (though I imagine the upper suites might be able to book when the shore concierge calls them) and there will be a limited number of seats. The MC only holds 100 max and I imagine Dinner on the Edge will have less because they bill it as exclusive.

The other option, if you like seafood, is to book a seat in the Magic Carpet side when it is parked next to Raw on 5. It looks like that will be at dinner on some nights. It won't be as dramatic a view, but still nice. You also have to wait to book that onboard.

They also mentioned in one press release that they may do some special dinners out there - I'm not sure if that is just an additional Dinner on the Edge with a theme?

Anyway, there will be options, but if we snooze, we lose. I think we will have to be very proactive. :classic_smile:

You could try emailing this Edge dining supervisor to get more info (if she is still there): Ivrhovec@rccl.com (Ivana’s email).

Good luck!! 🍴

If in a suite other than a Sky Suite you will be contacted by the shore side concierge before the sailing.  Might be possible to book then.

Hi, we are not in a suite, just a bog standard IV cabin  - not sure if you say 'big standard' in the US :-)

We are going to do our homework and see what other places there are ----

I think we have booked Normandie - the menu looks nice - but I am guessing that on a table for 2 you are almost sitting on the knees of the people next to you.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied

On 10/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, vtcruising said:

I wonder if it will have the plastic curtain for the front, if raining, similar to the Lawn Club Grill. The ends are enclosed. I agree though that there will be times when no one would want to be out there. Of course, all I can picture is a beautiful moonlit night. :classic_smile:

The ends of the MC are not enclosed. I'd hope for a calm moonlit night. 😉

I learned something new today... A Travel Weekly article about the MC mentioned that it takes 10 minutes for it to travel from it’s lowest position at Deck 2 to it's highest position at deck 16.  For some reason I didn’t think it would take that long.

Edited by C-Dragons

6 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

The ends of the MC are not enclosed. I'd hope for a calm moonlit night. 😉

The ends look glassed in to me, unless it is an optical illusion (I've been fooled before with reflections). :classic_smile:

image.thumb.png.107bdda513c7f9356710e48270b1cb10.png

"I learned something new today... A Travel Weekly article about the MC mentioned that it takes 10 minutes for it to travel from it’s lowest position at Deck 2 to it's highest position at deck 16.  For some reason I didn’t think it would take that long."

That's interesting that it takes so long. I wonder why? Is that magazine only for TA's or can anyone access it?

Edited by vtcruising

11 hours ago, vtcruising said:

The ends look glassed in to me, unless it is an optical illusion (I've been fooled before with reflections). :classic_smile:

image.thumb.png.107bdda513c7f9356710e48270b1cb10.png

"I learned something new today... A Travel Weekly article about the MC mentioned that it takes 10 minutes for it to travel from it’s lowest position at Deck 2 to it's highest position at deck 16.  For some reason I didn’t think it would take that long."

That's interesting that it takes so long. I wonder why? Is that magazine only for TA's or can anyone access it?

I guess the pictures I previously looked at showing no glass must have been taken from a different angle, or it hadn’t been installed then, as I see the glass now.

Travel Weekly.com is written for TA's but can be accessed by anyone.

Edited by C-Dragons

17 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I guess the pictures I previously looked at showing no glass must have been taken from a different angle, or it hadn’t been installed then, as I see the glass now.

Travel Weekly.com is written for TA's but can be accessed by anyone.

Maybe it was one of the additions Fain was talking about for wind diversion?

11 hours ago, vtcruising said:

That's interesting that it takes so long. I wonder why?

My (uneducated) guess is much like a freight elevator moves more slowly than a regular elevator, the weight of the MC requires a slower pace— I assume due to safety reasons and also those of a mechanical variety.

I think about the specialized lifts seen at some performance centers like the Sydney Opera House — they don’t fly. 

16 minutes ago, jsea said:

My (uneducated) guess is much like a freight elevator moves more slowly than a regular elevator, the weight of the MC requires a slower pace— I assume due to safety reasons and also those of a mechanical variety.

I think about the specialized lifts seen at some performance centers like the Sydney Opera House — they don’t fly. 

Makes sense to me. Maybe seeing how massive it looks in person will help us understand why it needs to move slowly.

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Makes sense to me. Maybe seeing how massive it looks in person will help us understand why it needs to move slowly.

It probably does not matter much since I believe that passengers will not be on it when it is moved.  So it just needs to get to its next deck destination and probably get locked into place.  It might be a bit annoying for the S3 suite passengers waiting for it to clear their cabins.

56 minutes ago, jsea said:

You do have a point, the MC does weigh 9 tons! 

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Thanks for the link ...very informative,  well written article and great pics.

The one of it hanging out there up so high up makes me 100% certain I could not do it..Maybe  I'd try when it is on 5...but would definitely want the closest table to the ship!

Those who do not fear heights will have an awesome view.  Wonder if it has a sway or movement factor????

We had a lot of talk about noise of the wind buffeting the MC railings and ceiling... back on the Blocks in the House thread. If you look at early renderings the side panels at the front they were always higher than in the back. The front and back I am sure were always planned on being fully enclosed... if for no other reason than safety... but also to send the wind around the MC. They probably had to do something to the ceiling to keep it from rattling.... perhaps they had to open it up some...not sure. Someone (can't recall who) talked about the ceiling acting like a wing.  There is only so much you can test in advance... I wonder about the sound of the mechanism once the ship has been in service for a year or so. I can't imagine that the salty sea air will be good on the mechanism. And the music and lights and impact on the usual solitude of a balcony/veranda cabin. On the other hand.... if you like to people watch, and say like a Board Walk cabin on Royal's Oasis class ships... where you can look out on a lot of activity... then this area will be a lot of fun.  I think when seas are calm... really calm this will be a fabulous spot for drinks... and dinner... but once the ship is in motion I really don't want to have to hold onto my napkin or lettuce to keep it from flying off the ship or into my lap. But what a view it will have... particularly from up top.