Just booked the Carnival Fascination, what can you tell me?

Matlily

There are actually a plethora of reviews of the Fascination if you use the search function or click on the Carnival Fascination link at the top of the Carnival Board page.  No need to start a new thread. There are actually a plethora of reviews of the Fascination if you use the search function or click on the Carnival Fascination link at the top of the Carnival Board page.  No need to start a new thread. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=carnival fascination

Edited by attran99

We haven't cruised on Fascination (yet), but have done the southern itinerary out of San Juan, twice, on Valor (2013) and Liberty (2015).  It is, hands down, our favorite regular itinerary in the Caribbean that Carnival offers.  We love the scenery!  The islands are all beautiful and mountainous, so you get some great views sailing into them in the morning and again when sailing out.  Barbados is the only one that doesn't offer the spectacular views as the port is in more of an industrial area, but there are gorgeous beaches pretty close to where you'll dock.  The islands you'll visit offer plenty to see and do for all interest levels (beach lovers, snorkeling, historical, active/adventure).  Although I can't comment on the ship, if you have any specific questions about any of the ports, I'd be happy to try to answer the best I can. 

We LOVE San Juan.  We've flown down one night pre-cruise both times and stayed at a hotel right on the beach near the airport in the Isla Verde section of San Juan.  We've just enjoyed the afternoon on the beach at the hotel and the day we board the ship, we've gotten back off to visit the forts and enjoy Old San Juan (all within walking distance).  Next time we do this itinerary, we plan to fly down a few days before the cruise since there is a lot more we want to see and do. 

Edited by pghsteelerfan
  • Like 2

Not to toot my own horn (well, yeah maybe a little bit...:classic_biggrin:) but you can read my review of the Fascination (link below in my signature or here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2343446-stinger-prs-fascinating-honeymoon-fascination-cruise-review-oct-16-23-2016/ ) and this itinerary. It's from 2016 but it should help you out a bit with what to do (at least what we did) in the islands. The ship has changed a bit since the dry dock when they refurbished some of the dining venues and public areas but for the most part, it should still be somewhat relevant. This itinerary now also includes stops in Dominica but they are not year-round and not all sailings of the season they do the stops. That's basically the only difference as far as the islands are concerned. Although from a year before and a different ship, pghsteelerfan also has a great review of the itineray and you can also search for mitsugirly's reviews.

Enjoy!!

• Like 3

It is up there as one of my favorite vacations I've taken. There aren't that many cruises out there, that you get to see that many ports in 7 days. Plus, some of them are also a little more uncommon like St Lucia, Dominica, and Barbados. It was so much fun, that we definitely plan on doing it again.

• Like 1

We took this cruise 6 weeks ago. It was FABULOUS! The ship is smaller, but so many ports that it doesn’t really matter. Pizza was great. Buffet, typical. Dining rooms, a little slow, but good. Enjoyed every port esp. Barbados and St. Maarten. We did a lot of snorkeling. Beautiful beaches. Enjoyed Spencer Ambrose tour in St. Lucia. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. We flew into San Juan the day before on Southwest and stayed in OSJ at the Decanter Hotel. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

We are booked On Fascination February but out from Barbados does anyone have experience of this Itinerary?  It does not include Dominica 

It's the same itinerary since some people board in Barbados while the majority board in San Juan.  Your itinerary from Barbados would be:  Day 1/embarkation day - Barbados; Day 2 - St. Lucia; Day 3 - St. Kitts; Day 4 - St. Maarten; Day 5 - San Juan (a long port day for those boarding in Barbados since the ship doesn't sail until 10PM); Day 6 - St. Thomas; Day 7 - Sea Day; then you arrive back in Barbados to debark.  So you'll be visiting the same islands, just a different schedule. 

As I posted before, this is our favorite regular itinerary in the Caribbean that Carnival offers.  But there are so many things to see and do.  I recommend searching for reviews for ideas since there is plenty to see/do and for every level of interest.   I notice that Stinger-pr posted with the link to his review.  I read his review and really enjoyed it, and the beautiful pictures and I highly recommend this one.  Mitsugirly has a review of Fascination as well.  I've done two reviews of this itinerary as well but on different ships (Liberty in 2015 and Valor in 2013).  The links are in my signature but the pictures may or may not show up since the photo hosting site I used charges premium rates for third party photo sharing.  Thanks for the shout out Stinger-pr. 

• Like 1

Hubby and I did this cruise last month. Our itinerary included Dominica. We loved it. We sailed on the Glory in May. The Fascination is a smaller ship but we didn't find it uncomfortable. The only negatives for us was there wasn't a refrigerator in our cabin and our ocean view cabin on the Fascination was smaller than the one on the Glory.

Cruising out of San Juan is the BEST ! Think of it as saving the two days there and two days back to get to the interesting ports . No Nassau or Freeport . 

Fascination is one of the old Fantasy class ships . Well taken care of  with some upgrades but still relatively small . The plus side is your itinerary is so great, the extras won't be missed . There are few balconies so OV cabins are well located . 

• Like 2

Love, love, love the Fascination and her sister ships. In fact I am posting from the Ecstacy out of Charleston. 

Smaller, older, no bells and whistles. Easy to manage, less crowded and enough bells and whistles to satisfy, such as Guy’s burgers. A nice Serenity deck aft, and some lovely aft eating spots off rear Lido. 

The staffs seems to love love working these ships. Always the nicest and friendliest. 

We we are always happy to book any of these but the Fascination is my favorite. 

• Like 1