Purchase of Voom as suite guest and diamond

royalfan1

We will be traveling in April on Brilliance of the Seas in a 2 bedroom owners suite.  Our son is coming with us and it is his first cruise and my husband and I are Diamond.  I never purchase the internet package because I love to detach.  My son, however, about had a panic attack when he heard there isn't a way to connect while on the ship.  What are my best options?  I really don't want internet otherwise I will be tempted to check my work email etc but I told him I would find a way for him to connect to his friends etc.  

Should I purchase one device before we go or do we get discounts onboard?  If I get a discount for diamond can I transfer it to him (he is an adult).

We are on a 5 night cruise to Cayman and Cozumel.  I know our phones will work in Mexico.  Thanks!

On a 5 night cruise you would be better using your 2 free days of internet (1 each, assuming that your other half is also diamond) by using 1 free day then using the other day as a $23 discount to purchase the package for the duration of the cruise.  For your son to use it you just need to give him the access code 

Use your free days first (you will get 2 - 24 hour periods for one device at a time).  You will log in and see the offer when you initially sign up for the internet.  Then, after the 24 hours are over, the system won't recognize your login info, so you sign up with the other Diamond member's info for another 24 hours.

After that expires you will see the offers for additional time.  As the cruise goes by the offers change to match the number of days left.  Also, your son may be less interested as he enjoys the cruise.  

If he's using his phone, notebook, etc., and it doesn't take him automatically to the login page, tell him to open the browser on his device, type login.com, and it will take him to the login page.  No need to logout since it's a continuous 24 hour period.  If more than one person wants to use the internet, then the connected device needs to be logged out, so the next device can login.  Just type logout.com, and it automatically logs the device out.  

My husband and I switched back and forth on our 8 night Adventure cruise a few weeks ago.  It was easy just to log in and out to switch to the other device.  

I'm really happy to see this post.  We will be on Harmony in January and we're Diamonds.  I have already purchased Voom surf only and got a really good price for it.  But now I wonder if I would be better off cancelling the Voom package, use the free days and then pay for the balance of the week.  My concern with that is the prices may be higher than I have already paid.

1 hour ago, lakemurraykid said:

I'm really happy to see this post.  We will be on Harmony in January and we're Diamonds.  I have already purchased Voom surf only and got a really good price for it.  But now I wonder if I would be better off cancelling the Voom package, use the free days and then pay for the balance of the week.  My concern with that is the prices may be higher than I have already paid.

Sometimes it depends on your cabin type.  I believe on Oasis Class ships like Harmony you get free Voom with suites (except Jr suites).

1 hour ago, lakemurraykid said:

That really depends on how long your cruise is and whether you need that internet access everyday. That first day is normally wasted since you likely have cellular service. If you have any port stops covered by your cell plan, those might also be days you don’t need Voom. We have so far always found just our free days to be enough, though I have purchased the last 2 days, with coupon, on occasion.

We were in the Anthem in August in a two bedroom suite (what used to be an RFS) for a five day cruise and had free internet access codes for everyone booked in the suite (five people).

am I missing something about a two bedroom owners suite that is different?

Edited by elhenry

We'll be on Harmony in January in a Junior Suite.  I have already purchased Voom surf when it was on sale and I think I got a good buy for a 7-day cruise.  But if we do get some comp hours as a diamond, would I be able to get a refund for those couple of days.  I know that's a tacky question, but just asking.

1 minute ago, elhenry said:

We were in the Anthem in August in a two bedroom suite (what used to be an RFS) for a five day cruise and had free internet access codes for everyone booked in the suite (five people).

am I missing something about a two bedroom owners suite that is different?

Oasis and Quantum class offer Sky & Star Class benefits that include free Voom.  Brilliance that OP is sailing doesn't have Sea/Sky/Star class.  An Owners Suite on Brilliance does not include Voom.  

Just now, lakemurraykid said:

We'll be on Harmony in January in a Junior Suite.  I have already purchased Voom surf when it was on sale and I think I got a good buy for a 7-day cruise.  But if we do get some comp hours as a diamond, would I be able to get a refund for those couple of days.  I know that's a tacky question, but just asking.

JS on Harmony does not include Voom. For a Diamond member on a 7 day cruise it's likely that Voom pre-cruise (Cruise Planner) is still your best bet.

Depending on your needs waiting until day 2 or 3 can save some money since the onboard 'full voyage' plans reduce in price each day since there are fewer days remaining.  Simply waiting until the morning of day 2 can save money.  When combined with C&A discounts waiting a day or two can make it very affordable if you can live without Voom for a little while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Oasis and Quantum class offer Sky & Star Class benefits that include free Voom.  Brilliance that OP is sailing doesn't have Sea/Sky/Star class.  An Owners Suite on Brilliance does not include Voom.  

JS on Harmony does not include Voom. For a Diamond member on a 7 day cruise it's likely that Voom pre-cruise (Cruise Planner) is still your best bet.

Depending on your needs waiting until day 2 or 3 can save some money since the onboard 'full voyage' plans reduce in price each day since there are fewer days remaining.  Simply waiting until the morning of day 2 can save money.  When combined with C&A discounts waiting a day or two can make it very affordable if you can live without Voom for a little while.

You have to be in a full suite -- GS or above or have Pinnacle status to get free Voom internet

8 hours ago, lakemurraykid said:

No refund, but you can still use your comp hours on board if you have more devices you would like to connect than your package allows.