Speciality Restaurnts, All you can eat?

dateacher

It's been a long time since we ate in one of the specialty restaurants but are planning on Murano in January. I have on occasion in the MDR, ordered more than one appetizer or dessert or even main course with no guilt or judgement by the waiters.  Can you do it in the specialty restaurants?  In looking at the menus, there are lots of things I would like to try and might want to order more than one appetizer.

We recently have been on Solstice and there was no issue ordering more than 1 appetizer and more than 1 dessert each in Murano (their Chocolate Cake is to die for).

We also asked for Chateaubriand and Lobster and it was no issue.

With Sushi on Five, you can order everything you want and it's covered by the cover charge if you mention that in advance.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Sushi on 5 is a la carte only....yes, there are probably exceptions on some ships...but I tried to bargain for AYCE or fixed price on the reflection a few weeks ago and they told me it's a la carte only.

As far as ordering multiple dishes at the other restaurants...I guess if you're reasonable, it's not a problem.  If  you decided to order all of the appetizers to try them, they might have a problem.  I think they are ok with 2 main dishes...I've ordered the chateaubriand for 2 just for me (actually it was their suggestion).  Surf and turf is probably a normal order.  Just keep it reasonable and you'll find they are anxious to please.

Edited by ghstudio

48 minutes ago, dateacher said:

Thanks. The lobster and Chateaubriand was something we were thinking about too. May have to do two nights...

We had them fix the Lobster Murano for our table of 4 as an additional appetizer, and asked them a couple days prior if they would fix us Steak Diane.  They took it off the menu several years ago, but if you ask nicely ahead of time (special occasion), I think they will still do it.

3 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Sushi on 5 is a la carte only....yes, there are probably exceptions on some ships...but I tried to bargain for AYCE or fixed price on the reflection a few weeks ago and they told me it's a la carte only.

As said, on Solstice, we could use our prepaid dining package for one night at Sushi on Five and could order as much as we wanted

We had a speciality dining package on the Silhouette last month (October 2018). For our night in Sushi on 5 we were told our package covered up to 35US$ each, or any combination of items up to 70US$ for the two of us. But we had plenty of food within that price. There was no suggestion of "unlimited" food as some other people have written above.

When we ate at the Lawn Club Grill I asked the waiter which he recommended, the Rib Eye or the Veal Chop. He said, I'll bring a Veal Chop for the table. He did, and it was great. Oh, and they brought a skewer of Shrimp on each plate.

Lawn Club.jpg

Edited by StillLooking4Adventure

2 hours ago, Chanbre said:

We had a speciality dining package on the Silhouette last month (October 2018). For our night in Sushi on 5 we were told our package covered up to 35US$ each, or any combination of items up to 70US$ for the two of us. But we had plenty of food within that price. There was no suggestion of "unlimited" food as some other people have written above.

I just want to add that on our Summit cruise a while back, we had lunch at Sushi on 5.  When we paid our bill they gave us a voucher for 30% off our next meal there, we had dinner there the next night. It would be nice if that happened again on our next cruise, but I think a lot depends on how popular they are on each sailing. When they are quieter, discounts may be available. We really enjoyed our meals there. 

11 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

When we ate at the Lawn Club Grill I asked the waiter which he recommended, the Rib Eye or the Veal Chop. He said, I'll bring a Veal Chop for the table. He did, and it was great. Oh, and they brought a skewer of Shrimp on each plate.  That's what I'm talking about!  🙂

Lawn Club.jpg

In theory, the answer is NO. They’re structured for, appetizer, entree, sides and dessert.

If you’re looking for all you can eat, you ought to hit up the buffet.

If you’re reasonable, they’ll accommodate you. We’ve asked for Lobster AND Steak in Murano and got it without any fuss. Quisine (gone now) is the ultimate AYCE.

AND Sushi CAN BE, depending on the day and/or the deal but in theory it’s A La Carte.

You won’t go hungry I promise!

When on the Summit 3 years ago, we were told that we were able to order multiple appetizers but only 1 entree each. We were also not offered any cheese course and heard a waiter tell the next table that the gratuity was not included. We had unexpected credit from our travel agent so decided to splurge on this special meal, paying full price. I later found out that this was not normal operating procedure but it kind of ruined us on specialty restaurants and so we haven't been back to one. I am happy to hear again that most people don't seem to have any problems and may try another sometime.

6 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I would say they serve huge portions in the Specialty Restaurants.   However, that being said, I have seen some passengers order and eat more food than any normal human should be able to consume.   Doubt that Celebrity will let any passenger go hungry at Specialty Restaurants.

I had to laugh a little when I read this.  My husband is one of those passengers you would see "order and eat more food than any normal human should be able to consume".  What you don't see is that he hardly eats anything during the day and saves his calories for a really good dinner. And, by then he's hungry.  He's 6 ft, 175 pds, and walks/climbs mountains literally at least 4 days a week.  At first, I was a bit embarrassed...but hey, it works for him so no judgement from me. So don't worry about what others think, Dateacher. Pig out, eat what you want and enjoy.  

Edited by avp1234
  • Like 1

My son ate a huge amount last December, both in the MDR and in Tuscan Grill.  I would say he probably ate 5 appetizers and 3 main courses in Tuscan.  He PTs it off.  The waiter would have kept it coming if he had wanted it.  

If i overheard a a waiter tell someone that gratuity was not included in a speciality I’d be contacting the M’D of that restaurant and the restaurant manager if needed. Some people leave one, some do not.  The quality of food is not different, but there are fewer patrons, and a different menu.  The gratuity is supposed to be included.

21 hours ago, eby said:

If you have a specialty dining package and use it in Sushi on 5 then it becomes AYCE.We did it on our last 2 cruises.

That was not our experience last week on the Silhouette. Using the package, we were given an allowance of $35 pp at Sushi on Five. Plenty to eat. (Actually, the total charges for the two of us came to $73, and they zeroed it all out.)

4 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

The quality of food is not different, but there are fewer patrons, and a different menu.  The gratuity is supposed to be included.

I really disagree with this statement. We ate at Lawn Club, Tuscan, Quisine and Murano and found the food to be far superior to the MDR.  We were expecially surprised and pleased with the food in Le Petit Chef. I assumed that the main thing was the show. The food might have been the best of all four. We were happy with the quality of the food in the MDR however there is no substitute for food made more to order and in some cases table side at the Specialty restaurants. 

When I think of quality, I think of the actual ingredients.  

Yes, the dishes in them are supposed to be made to order, rather than in large vats in the back, but they start with the same food.  it isn't like they have separate steaks for some areas.  They get in large sides of beef and someone cuts them into steaks down below in many cases.  I watched them doing it on a tour a few years back.  They may reserve specific cuts for specific places, but that is as far as it goes.

On the other hand, I often have special food in the MDR due to food sensitivities, so maybe I eat differently than you do.  🙂

6 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

When I think of quality, I think of the actual ingredients.  

Yes, the dishes in them are supposed to be made to order, rather than in large vats in the back, but they start with the same food.  it isn't like they have separate steaks for some areas.  They get in large sides of beef and someone cuts them into steaks down below in many cases.  I watched them doing it on a tour a few years back.  They may reserve specific cuts for specific places, but that is as far as it goes.

🙂

I am in the restaurant business. You can't just ignore the the use of "different cuts of meat" and think they are the same because they came from the same animal. You can't just ignore how a piece of meat is cooked. I'm sure you must understand the difference between a Rib Eye cooked to order  on an open fire and strip cooked in a salamander along with 50 other steaks. Or the difference if a meal that is seasoned individually with a special recipe by a talented chef vs one seasoned with a sauce from a pot used for 100 other meals.   I can start with the same lobster and make you one meal you will rave about and one you won't be able to eat.

• Like 1