Diamond member question

Ken Greco

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

We do the same when we don't purchase the BP. 

OMG...with the free drinks in the lounge, the drink vouchers, three bottles of wine delivered to our cabin, and the ability to bring on another two....we are pickled plenty.  🍸🍷  Life as a DS on board is good!!  😄 

1 hour ago, frank808 said:

No overflow in blaze on allure last month.  The DL was pretty packed but not as bad as last year.  Seats on deck 12 of lounge were available at 445pm on the nights I walked in.  Stopped by almost every night to see if some friends and cc members were there. But if you wanted a seat by the window on deck 11 be there early. Walked in one day at 3:20pm and people had staked out the tables by window already.  

Not surprising.  Have noticed that also on other ships.  I will be in the lounge around 3:30 using the computer before I am off to get ready for dinner.... and here they come.  All dressed up and staking our their favorite chairs/area.  Yikes!  😮 

I like going in during what I call "magic hour".  Around 15 minutes after first seating for dinner starts.  

23 hours ago, the mistral wind said:

To tell the truth i would be annoyed also. We waited so long for this privilege and would never try to sneak in . I am usually a rule breaker if i think they are stupid rules. But i can tell from reading on cruise critic how crowded the lounge is and how that would impede those who are deserving form being seated or served that it would truly be unfair.

Agreed. I'm okay if a Diamond member wants to share 1 or 2 of their 3 free drinks with a non-Diamond at one to the "public" bars (I know its been discussed extensively on other threads) . But not to bring them to a "private" lounge for the obvious reasons you stated above.  Maybe if the lounge was mostly empty, okay I could see it happening. But the non-Diamond should have the common courtesy to leave as the DL starts to fill up.

Full disclosure: I'm 2 cruises away from becoming a diamond....or 1 if I book a JS:classic_smile:

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Agreed. I'm okay if a Diamond member wants to share 1 or 2 of their 3 free drinks with a non-Diamond at one to the "public" bars (I know its been discussed extensively on other threads) . But not to bring them to a "private" lounge for the obvious reasons you stated above.  Maybe if the lounge was mostly empty, okay I could see it happening. But the non-Diamond should have the common courtesy to leave as the DL starts to fill up.

Full disclosure: I'm 2 cruises away from becoming a diamond....or 1 if I book a JS:classic_smile:

i agree with you totally

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

You're not Diamond, but you are OK with a Diamond member giving their free drinks on their seapass to others who aren't?  I'm sure it is done frequently, but that's not the reason they give you 3 drinks on your seapass -- it's so you don't have to fight the crowded Diamond Lounge and can socialize with your non-Diamond friends in other venues, not to give your non-Diamond friends a free drink.  :classic_dry:

Edited by Wine-O

39 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

You're not Diamond, but you are OK with a Diamond member giving their free drinks on their seapass to others who aren't?  I'm sure it is done frequently, but that's not the reason they give you 3 drinks on your seapass -- it's so you don't have to fight the crowded Diamond Lounge and can socialize with your non-Diamond friends in other venues, not to give your non-Diamond friends a free drink.  :classic_dry:

Well your opinion has merit also. I never thought of it that way. It makes sense.

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

You're not Diamond, but you are OK with a Diamond member giving their free drinks on their seapass to others who aren't? 

Yes. And when I reach Diamond status in 2 cruises, I may use 1 or 2 of my 3 free drinks to buy my non-diamond family members a drink. Then again, maybe not as they most likely would have purchased the deluxe drink package and can get their own drink from a far more extensive menu then the limited C&A menu. But I won't take them into the DL.

In the meantime, during the next 2 cruises, I'll gladly accept a free drink from any diamond member. 😉🥂

On 11/26/2018 at 2:31 AM, JamesEM said:

I was on the Allure this past Sept., the answer is yes, however we found it to be more efficient getting a few adult beverages in the DL and taking them to the MDR.

Before making Diamond I would do something similiar, stopping by a bar close to the MDR before walking in for the same reason.

I found the letter of benefits from the November 8, 2018 Brilliance sailing  with the voucher sharing comment.  It states,  " Drink vouchers are not redeemable for family members or friends, they are not accumulative throughout the cruises, they expire each day after 8:30p.m. Drinks cannot be redeemed in the dining room, specialty restaurants, Windjammer Café or Room Service."

Of course we know that some ship allow redemption in dining venues, while others do not.

If I gave family and friends a drink from my voucher,  I certainly would not  post  it on a public message board.  When the vouchers are reduced or  removed from the program, we can all speculate why?

my two cents!

M

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I found the letter of benefits from the November 8, 2018 Brilliance sailing  with the voucher sharing comment.  It states,  " Drink vouchers are not redeemable for family members or friends, they are not accumulative throughout the cruises, they expire each day after 8:30p.m. Drinks cannot be redeemed in the dining room, specialty restaurants, Windjammer Café or Room Service."

Of course we know that some ship allow redemption in dining venues, while others do not.

If I gave family and friends a drink from my voucher,  I certainly would not  post  it on a public message board.  When the vouchers are reduced or  removed from the program, we can all speculate why?

my two cents!

M

You're right 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:15 PM, Wine-O said:

its a courtesy to give back to the community after you have taken from it as well 

I really like my friends🍸🍹♻️

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:48 PM, HBE4 said:

Yes. And when I reach Diamond status in 2 cruises, I may use 1 or 2 of my 3 free drinks to buy my non-diamond family members a drink. Then again, maybe not as they most likely would have purchased the deluxe drink package and can get their own drink from a far more extensive menu then the limited C&A menu. But I won't take them into the DL.

In the meantime, during the next 2 cruises, I'll gladly accept a free drink from any diamond member. 😉🥂

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth my friend.

9 hours ago, Riverviewnb said:

What if the person is your emotional support animal?

Well, then in that case, in addition to getting Diamond benefits they don't deserve, they also get to hog as many chairs as they please (poolside and Viking Crown Lounge) and get to kick Pinnacles out of Coastal Kitchen in mid-meal. :classic_laugh:

23 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

my two cents!

M

I doubt that RCI sets corporate policy based on what is posted here. If that was the case, they would enforce the no-chair hog "rules" or the suggested dress code "rules", which are rules that are routinely broken by many.

EDIT: Plus, that would be punishing the many for the sins of a few is they reduce/remove the program.

They will set policy based on financial impact which in this case, cheap and easy cruising resulting in way more many Diamond members than they can possible handle, as evidenced by the overcrowded DL and overflow lounges.

Edited by HBE4

55 minutes ago, the mistral wind said:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth my friend.

Some fellow rule breaker you turned out to be! :classic_laugh:    Just Kidding.

This topic has been debated on other threads with both sides presenting evidence to support their case. ONnthe "it's okay to share" side, it's usually getting the okay from the bar staff on the ship or customer service on headquarters (or wherever customer service is located).

My final thoughts on the subject: I've spent tens of thousands of dollars over the past decade on Royal. I'm 2 cruises away from Diamond which means - most likely - that my next 2 cruises (and $4,000-$5,000) will be spent on Royal. So I'm okay with sharing my "free" $8 drink with a family member/close friend (not a stranger I met at the pool that I'm trying to impress) at one of the public venues. If the bartender tells me I'm not allowed, no harm, I won't make a scene and my family member/friend will purchase their own drink.

As for Royal, it's just excellent customer service and rewarding a loyal customer.  As mcatmcat said, it's courtesy to give back to the community you have taken from.

Edited by HBE4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I doubt that RCI sets corporate policy based on what is posted here. If that was the case, they would enforce the no-chair hog "rules" or the suggested dress code "rules", which are rules that are routinely broken by many.

EDIT: Plus, that would be punishing the many for the sins of a few is they reduce/remove the program.

They will set policy based on financial impact which in this case, cheap and easy cruising resulting in way more many Diamond members than they can possible handle, as evidenced by the overcrowded DL and overflow lounges.

We'll they do have PR people reading the posts that relate to RCCL.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Some fellow rule breaker you turned out to be! :classic_laugh:    Just Kidding.

This topic has been debated on other threads with both sides presenting evidence to support their case. ONnthe "it's okay to share" side, it's usually getting the okay from the bar staff on the ship or customer service on headquarters (or wherever customer service is located).

My final thoughts on the subject: I've spent tens of thousands of dollars over the past decade on Royal. I'm 2 cruises away from Diamond which means - most likely - that my next 2 cruises (and $4,000-$5,000) will be spent on Royal. So I'm okay with sharing my "free" $8 drink with a family member/close friend (not a stranger I met at the pool that I'm trying to impress) at one of the public venues. If the bartender tells me I'm not allowed, no harm, I won't make a scene and my family member/friend will purchase their own drink.

As for Royal, it's just excellent customer service and rewarding a loyal customer.  As mcatmcat said, it's courtesy to give back to the community you have taken from.

Ha ha I know

I know where your coming from and i agree half way with you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the mistral wind said:

We'll they do have PR people reading the posts that relate to RCCL.

Hopefully they'll read my post and think "What a great idea and nice PR move to hopefully inspire that lucky family member/friend to spend $$$ to become a Diamond member themselves".:classic_smile: