Constellation cabin 6143 opinions please

cruise kitty

Hi everyone, I'm sure some of you are sick of my cabin drama for our Suez Canal cruise, so sorry in advance :)   We've already had a nice price drop, & while taking advantage of it I switched from our aft C1 on deck 8 to cabin 6143,  (This in on the Constellation, I haven't done M class since 2003)    

I know that a lot of people will same I'm crazy for giving up the Aft, but honestly we prefer more privacy, & my husband has never been that fond of the deeper hump balconies on S class, due the bit of "tunnel" effect.  Anyhow, looking at the deck plans, it seems that 6143 might be a nice quiet location & I'm hoping we get a really great cabin attendant as we'll be in the suite area...  don't know if that makes any difference or not.  

I"m also thinking we will get a breeze on the balcony of 6143, which is really, really important as I've read that flies can be a problem when cruising the canal.

thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi everyone, I'm sure some of you are sick of my cabin drama for our Suez Canal cruise, so sorry in advance 🙂   We've already had a nice price drop, & while taking advantage of it I switched from our aft C1 on deck 8 to cabin 6143,  (This in on the Constellation, I haven't done M class since 2003)    

I know that a lot of people will same I'm crazy for giving up the Aft, but honestly we prefer more privacy, & my husband has never been that fond of the deeper hump balconies on S class, due the bit of "tunnel" effect.  Anyhow, looking at the deck plans, it seems that 6143 might be a nice quiet location & I'm hoping we get a really great cabin attendant as we'll be in the suite area...  don't know if that makes any difference or not.  

I"m also thinking we will get a breeze on the balcony of 6143, which is really, really important as I've read that flies can be a problem when cruising the canal.

thanks in advance. 

Here’s the balcony comparison. Deck 9 at the back would get looked down over but not sure how much people would see of deck 8. First pic is the aft deck 7   You might be more exposed to above from the side. 

E9591D68-B80E-4C98-B24A-A686D408135E.jpeg

A6E4033C-6142-4B67-9B30-24F224396A51.png

Edited by Cruise Junky

6143 would be quiet but we have stayed in the aft cabins on Deck 7 and they are also quiet.  We never had a fly problem going through canal  or on any part of the PC cruise.  

Personally we wished we had booked a aft cabin for the canal cruise.  We found ourselves going from side to side or fighting for a spot on deck to get a good view. 

35 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Here’s the balcony comparison. Deck 9 at the back would get looked down over but not sure how much people would see of deck 8. First pic is the aft deck 7   You might be more exposed to above from the side. 

E9591D68-B80E-4C98-B24A-A686D408135E.jpeg

A6E4033C-6142-4B67-9B30-24F224396A51.png

Thanks for the great photos!

26 minutes ago, jelayne said:

6143 would be quiet but we have stayed in the aft cabins on Deck 7 and they are also quiet.  We never had a fly problem going through canal  or on any part of the PC cruise.  

Personally we wished we had booked a aft cabin for the canal cruise.  We found ourselves going from side to side or fighting for a spot on deck to get a good view. 

Thanks, actually this is the Suez canal :)   but thank you very much for the tips. 

7 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

As a one-time occupant of this cabin, I am sorry to see that there are no loungers or footstools.  Otherwise, it is a very nice cabin.

Thank you,  looking at the deck plans it almost looks a little bigger than the other C1 cabins, do you know if it actually is?

Hello, 

we had 6143 long time ago but even if we did enjoy our bugger balcony we were surprised to only have a arm chair instead of a 2 place sofa like other Concierge cabin and there was a "service corridor" from the hall way to the balcony next to our cabin so it was noisy and staff would come and go there to have a breath of fresh air. A lot of buttler coming and going also in the area because of the suites. 

That was a first and a last for us. Rather be in a C1 at the aft. 

Are you doing the April Suez Canal. If so, we are too...

• Like 1

Vana above is correct.  We have been in 6144 on the other side and the set up is the same.

Between 6143 and the royal suite next door there is an about 3-4 foot wide butler storage closet.  This closet is not shown on the deck plan which instead shows this closet as part of 6143.  That's why the room appears so much bigger.  6143 is about one foot wider than the other C1s.   BTW, the same is true for 6144 on the other side.

Also odd, is that this "closet" has a balcony that is used sometimes as a crew break spot. 

Finally, when we stayed in 6144, the balcony partisan between your room and this crew break spot must be left open for emergency exit purposes.   You can see this is shown on the above photo (post #2) - the partisan to the right is open.

Advantage of the room is it is in "suiteland" with the lovely wood floor in the hallway, hushed tone in the area and great service because the penthouse is just down the hall. 

Overall, having been in C1 afts and these cabins......I'd go with the aft everytime!!!   

Yes, the cabin is a bit larger.  The balcony partition can be opened or closed, at least it could be when I sailed in that cabin.  Yes, it's part of an escape route, but it's very easy to open the partition, so if you were told it must be left open, I believe that was bogus.  We opened it for the sail in to San Juan to have more rail space for pictures.  The partition between 6143 and the sky suite next door can also be opened or closed, as can the one between the sky suite and the penthouse.

Thanks everyone for the comments/advice.  You've all given me a lot to think about.  I also came across some old reviews of 6143 that sound wonderful, with the exception that there is no longer a lounger or footstool (I thought a footstool came with all concierge cabins?)   Going to decide this weekend whether or not to move back to the aft...  I'm also very curious to see what type of changes happen when they do the edgeification of the M class.  I definitely do not want to end up with an "infinite verandah"

We stayed in 6143 on an M-class and I personally did not like the "tunnel effect" of the deep balcony - it's nearly as big as the room, so when you are inside you feel quite separate from the water. I'd definitely take the aft in your case. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, champagne lover said:

After reading this thread, going on Connie in a few weeks, had booked C1 cabin 6144 but have now changed to C1 8170. Hope we have made the right decision.

You certainly did.

• 8 months later...

Thanks everyone for sharing opinions.

Right now I'm booked on 6144 for the next suez canal cruise (Civitavecchia to Dubai) and thinking of changing the cabin now. (My last aft experience on Eclipse was awesome.)

Can you tell me if the afts have enough sun on that route? (They should point to the north for a big part of the trip.)

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, swoonx said:

Thanks everyone for sharing opinions.

Right now I'm booked on 6144 for the next suez canal cruise (Civitavecchia to Dubai) and thinking of changing the cabin now. (My last aft experience on Eclipse was awesome.)

Can you tell me if the afts have enough sun on that route? (They should point to the north for a big part of the trip.)

Thanks! 

The afts on the M-Class have huge balconies -- 1/2 covered with canvas for shade, and the other 1/2 you can sit out in the sun if you like.  I would switch to an aft if one is available.  🍷

14 hours ago, Wine-O said:

The afts on the M-Class have huge balconies -- 1/2 covered with canvas for shade, and the other 1/2 you can sit out in the sun if you like.  I would switch to an aft if one is available.  🍷

Thanks! Do you know if there is also enough sun when the aft is pointing north (so while cruising south)?

PS: There is also one corner FV available for my cruise. This cabin has an awesome balcony, but want to stay in concierge class.

6 hours ago, swoonx said:

Thanks! Do you know if there is also enough sun when the aft is pointing north (so while cruising south)?

PS: There is also one corner FV available for my cruise. This cabin has an awesome balcony, but want to stay in concierge class.

I haven't a clue, but I can tell you this -- you will get way more sun in the Aft than you will in 6143.  🍷

12 hours ago, swoonx said:

I'd give up concierge class in a New York minute for one of those corner aft cabins!  They are much larger and have a fabulous balcony.  They've basically taken away most of the benefits attached to CC cabins, so no big deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'd give up concierge class in a New York minute for one of those corner aft cabins!  They are much larger and have a fabulous balcony.  They've basically taken away most of the benefits attached to CC cabins, so no big deal.

I agree, especially on this longer itinerary.  We had 8166 for our Panama Canal Transit cruise and it greatly enhanced our cruise!