RCCL ends association with Dreamworks

Effective April 2019 RCCL will end its association with Dreamworks on all 9 ships that is currently offered.

Royal Caribbean is always looking to the future and exploring new ways to exceed our guests' expectations. We've been conducting extensive research to better understand and anticipate what matters most to the families of today — and tomorrow. And in 2019, we're looking forward to delivering brand new experiences for families, kids and teens.

What began with new family features like glow-in-the-dark laser tag and the Sky Pad VR bungee trampoline experience on Mariner of the Seas and Independence of the Seas will continue to evolve as Navigator of the Seas is amplified in March 2019. And we're taking our family flagships to a whole new level when Oasis of the Seas gets amplified later in the year.

As we shift focus toward these new possibilities, the 9 ships that offer DreamWorks moments will no longer feature the program as of April 2019 sailings. We'll continue to offer countless ways for families to make unforgettable memories onboard. Including our complimentary, award-winning Adventure Ocean youth program with expansive facilities designed for each age group, plus teen programming in their own dedicated spaces. Family-friendly thrills, like record-breaking water slides, FlowRider surf simulators, Splashaway Bay aqua parks, Royal Escape Rooms and more. Parades and shows across stage, ice, water and air. Plus the ultimate family vacation destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, debuting May 2019.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

I just got the email about 20 minutes ago. This is very unfortunate. Their Amplified program sounds great but many people will be sailing on ships currently offering DreamWorks which will be cancelled before they are scheduled for dry dock to undergo those improvements. So no Amplified and no DreamWorks for those people. It’s a net loss of activities. 

I’m on Allure right now and the DreamWorks program is as popular as ever. In particular, Trolls seems the most popular as the photo opportunities with Poppy and Branch have had the most people lined up - so much that they’ve had to cut the line off.

Well, 🙄 they have to pay for the Cocoa Cay upgrades somehow..... 

$200 Million, really? Then why pay royalties to DreamWorks for a non-rev affiliation? I think that families will probably miss the movies, and other associated activities.

On the other hand, we really don't have any interest in the Cocoa Cay upgrades. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 1

Here's communications from RCL for a cruise scheduled for April 2020.

Royal Caribbean

Dear Guest, 

Before you set sail on your Harmony of the Seas vacation, we have an update about our onboard programming.

At Royal Caribbean, we regularly review and refresh our offerings to ensure that we provide diverse and exciting experiences. That said, as of April 1st, 2019, we will no longer have DreamWorks moments as part of our regular programming. Rest assured, we have countless, awesome activities to keep you and your family entertained. 

Kids can live it up in their own dedicated area – the complimentary, award winning Adventure Ocean youth program with art, science, games and activities every day. Or dare to be brave on the Ultimate Abyss slide, take a ride on the carousel on the Boardwalk, soak up the fun at Splashaway Bay water park, or take on the rock climbing walls. Click here to check out everything Harmony of the Seas has to offer.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard very soon.

Sincerely, 

Royal Caribbean International

I'm assuming they are ridding of the DreamWorks characters altogether from their fleet.  It's too bad as my Grandkids really enjoyed them, especially the Parade.

My kids are going to be so disappointed. Well my 8 year old will. The 2 years wont really care. 

I wonder if they will be replaced by anything. We liked having the characters.  The meet and greet at breakfast and the parades. We were even hoping they’d still have their How To Train a Dragon ice show for our cruise next year. Bummer. 

59 minutes ago, Chicky2181 said:

We were even hoping they’d still have their How To Train a Dragon ice show for our cruise next year. Bummer. 

I think that show is better than the main ice show on Allure. I would be sorry to see it leave.

• Like 1

I seem to remember people around here being upset when RCI announced their affiliation with DreamWorks. There were comments about RCI becoming like Disney as well as how annoying and intrusive the characters would be. Now people are upset that they are leaving.

Those poor exec's at RCI just can't win sometimes no matter what they do. Occasionally I actually feel a twinge of empathy for them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I seem to remember people around here being upset when RCI announced their affiliation with DreamWorks. There were comments about RCI becoming like Disney as well as how annoying and intrusive the characters would be. Now people are upset that they are leaving.

Those poor exec's at RCI just can't win sometimes no matter what they do. Occasionally I actually feel a twinge of empathy for them

Now you made me laugh.:classic_smile:

Daughter was deciding between a Disney cruise and RCCL for her family .   Because she is RCCL  Diamond, and there were characters on RCCL, they decided on RCCL for their upcoming cruise.    I suspect their   next cruise and all others for a while will be on Disney. 

I understand it is likely a revenue ( or a non revenue association,) but the characters are a family draw.

When the program began,  was afraid the characters would be everywhere but RCCL  had a nice balance  of character interaction.

M

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think that show is better than the main ice show on Allure. I would be sorry to see it leave.

Agree 100%.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'll miss the characters some, but will not miss seeing the same movies for the last 8 years on board.  

10 minutes ago, moopetguy said:

They’ll get kicked off in St. Thomas? 😊🤷‍♂️

Either that or the penguins will take control off the Bridge. 😀

• Haha 1