What to do with 6-8 hours in FLL (with baggage)

sarahsentry

We can get off the ship as early or late as we want in the morning and don't need to be at the airport until 3:30-4:30.  We'll have our luggage with us (likely medium roller bags) as we're flying to Canada so can't do baggage check at the port.  

In the past we've gone to the airport to store bags and then get on the water taxis to roam around.   Looking for new ideas.  If we go to the mall we have to bring our bags around everywhere, and I believe the taxi ride out there is pretty pricy.  Considering going to a spa for a few hours hoping they'd let us put the bags in a back room or something (can anyone recommend a spa in the area?) and also looking up hotels that do day passes or day room rentals (again any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated).

Are there other options we're not thinking of??

Thanks in advance :)

For hotels and resorts offering day passes try www.resortpass.com

You could rent a car for the day, put the bags in the trunk, and then go where you want - beach?

I would also look at cruise line excursions - Everglades tour? - that store your bags under the bus and drop you back at the airport.

We have about 10 hours before our upcoming March flight home so we are going to rent a day room and either spend the day around the pool or leave our luggage in the room and use uber/lyft to visit Las Olas blvd.  The room for a day is around $80.  An after thought was we should have stayed there for an extra 2 days.  The flights would have been much less expensive and the savings could have paid for some of the hotel bill.  

Last year we had about 7 hours before we had to leave FLL and we did the ships Everglade excursion.  We weren't too impressed with it but it killed 4 hours.  When we were dropped off at the airport we discovered that our flight was delayed for a few hours.  We sat in the airport for a very long time.  The waiting area was being revamped and there were very few seats.  How depressing/

Contour Day Spa would be my suggestion if you want a spa.  You could ask ahead if they can store your bags and I imagine it wouldn't be a problem.  It's an outstanding large spa.  It's in Plantation but an Uber would be pretty cheap, taxi much more expensive.

I would also suggest one of the cruise excursions which drops you off at the airport.  That seems the most practical to me.

We booked a Day Room at the Ocean Beach Club; base price was only $59 from 9-5--with taxes it was about $74.  It is near the beach in Ft. Lauderdale; I realize it isn't a high end hotel but we needed a room for four and most Day rooms were only for two.

Unfortunately we did not get to use it; luckily you pay nothing ahead and can cancel right up to the last minute.  Because of an approaching blizzard at home we quickly changed our flights and my sisters decided to skip the hotel and just wait at the airport.

So glad we did.  Although the snow held off until morning, we got home by a little after 10PM, including a stop for groceries.  Our original flight was delayed about 3 hours and we would have gotten home at 5 AM!  ( We have about a 2.5 hour drive home from the airport).

We did Rodeway this past March and plan on doing so again this March.  We ubered to the motel and checked in.  My family just relaxed, watched tv, and reconnected to the internet (especially the two teens).  We ate at the restaurant that was there and thought it was tasty.  Free shuttle to the airport. Rooms were clean and it was quiet.

I am trying this service for a January cruise - I have never used them. 

They pick up the luggage at the cruise port.  Then they meet you at the correct terminal at a pre-arranged time with your luggage.  Once our luggage has been taken away - we plan on taking an uber to a water taxi port if the weather is nice.  If the weather is horrible - the Sawgrass Mills Mall. 

Hope this works smooth!  Our flight doesn't leave until 6:30 pm.

I have used a day use hotel room in the past. 

8 hours ago, crilski said:

They pick up the luggage at the cruise port.  Then they meet you at the correct terminal at a pre-arranged time with your luggage. 

Please come back and report on how it worked out for you.  This is such a frequent question that another reliable alternative would be welcomed. I would start a new thread so it gets wider attention.  Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, crilski said:

They pick up the luggage at the cruise port.  Then they meet you at the correct terminal at a pre-arranged time with your luggage.  Once our luggage has been taken away - we plan on taking an uber to a water taxi port if the weather is nice.  If the weather is horrible - the Sawgrass Mills Mall. 

Hope this works smooth!  Our flight doesn't leave until 6:30 pm.

I have used a day use hotel room in the past. 

Please let us know the details as to how this turns out.

Happy sails!