Cruise Documents Needed for Travel

stleda124

I had always made the assumption that a passport was required to cruise. We just booked a last minute cruise for January 6th and my friend will be going on her first ever cruise. Her passport is over 15 years expired. We have made a passport appointment at the agency for the 18th and are hoping the timing will work out. However, when I just went to check in on RCCL's website, the drop down menu had many options to choose from for identification. One of those was birth certificate and driver's license.

If she doesn't get her passport would we be fine going on this cruise? Or in any case does she even need a passport?

Thank you!

Edited by stleda124

3 minutes ago, stleda124 said:

I know this is beating a dead horse. But so much so that we should just cancel our appointment at the agency that is a 2hr drive away?

I would still get one (though via regular mail in service) - it's still a good idea to have one, but I wouldn't pay for rush service or any other extra fees to get it (or drive 2 hrs). If you get in time, fine, if not, simply travel with the birth certificate.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I would still get one (though via regular mail in service) - it's still a good idea to have one, but I wouldn't pay for rush service or any other extra fees to get it (or drive 2 hrs). If you get in time, fine, if not, simply travel with the birth certificate.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I would think that if the friend hasn't needed it in 15 years what is the likelihood of needing it within the foreseeable future? If she isn't planning any foreign travel in the next year than she's just spending her money on something that will just sit in a drawer. So all things being equal it's really a coin toss and I would skip it if it were me. 

Edited by sparks1093

Just now, Biker19 said:

You will have extra steps/documentation to get a new one since the old one is 15 years expired.

Her friend would need to apply in person with the same documentation everyone needs. Only extra step is not being able to renew by mail.

24 minutes ago, stleda124 said:

I had always made the assumption that a passport was required to cruise. We just booked a last minute cruise for January 6th and my friend will be going on her first ever cruise. Her passport is over 15 years expired. We have made a passport appointment at the agency for the 18th and are hoping the timing will work out. However, when I just went to check in on RCCL's website, the drop down menu had many options to choose from for identification. One of those was birth certificate and driver's license.

If she doesn't get her passport would we be fine going on this cruise? Or in any case does she even need a passport?

Thank you!

See the last point under What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea? in https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

11 minutes ago, stleda124 said:

You have all been EXTREMELY helpful as always. And if my research is accurate we will not need a passport to enter any of our ports. Correct?

San Juan

St. Maarten

Labadee

Thank you!

Correct

In the past, there was an excursion to British Tortola that required a passport, but I've not seen that in a while.

If you choose to go with a birth certificate be aware that it needs to be "official", not a photo copy. States vary but an official birth certificate needs to have a raised seal or a stamp or something along those lines. You will not be able to board with a photo copy of the birth certificate.

7 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

If you choose to go with a birth certificate be aware that it needs to be "official", not a photo copy. States vary but an official birth certificate needs to have a raised seal or a stamp or something along those lines. You will not be able to board with a photo copy of the birth certificate.

There has been some debate on this in various recent threads. The RCI FAQ suggests a "copy" of one's official bc is required, see https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation. (There is a note regarding PR birth certificates.).

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The DHS regulations say an "original or copy" may be used. It is best to bring the original if one can but it's good to remember that a copy will work in a pinch (such as forgetting one's passport at home and having a copy of the birth certificate faxed to the port).