Tipping with Beverage Package

WScruiser

3 hours ago, JCBAY4 said:

Gratuity is added individually to drinks.  Our package is for drinks up to $9 INCLUDING 15% gratuity.  This works out to a drink price of  about $7.75 or less

That is not how it works.
The price of the package includes the gratuity. The package then allows drinks up to $9 per drink. The gratuity has been paid already.

23 minutes ago, JCBAY4 said:

Gratuity is added individually to drinks.  Our package is for drinks up to $9 INCLUDING 15% gratuity.  This works out to a drink price of  about $7.75 or less

Not on the package. On the SBP the gratuity is added to the price of the package, so there is no need to add it also to the price of the drink. It has been paid already, so to charge again would be double dipping.
SBP allows drinks up to $9 in price, NOT $7.75.  

26 minutes ago, JCBAY4 said:

I just called HAL and the rep told me the TOTAL INCLUDING gratuity must be $9 or less so my above calculations are correct.   

1 minute ago, JCBAY4 said:

I just called HAL and the rep told me the TOTAL INCLUDING gratuity must be $9 or less so my above calculations are correct.   

No, that is not correct based on my experience with the Signature Beverage Package.  This is yet another instance of the Head Office reps not knowing what goes on onboard.  Ruth is correct with her descriptions above.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JCBAY4 said:

No that is not how it works. With the signature beverage package it will be $9 per drink. Look at the wording of the beverage package. The gratuity has been pre paid. You can’t pre pay gratuities and then pay a second one on board. Well I suppose you could, but I’m fairly certain there’d be a law suit involved if that happened!!! 

8 minutes ago, JCBAY4 said:

OK.  Seems like I got incorrect info the 1st time ( I called back) & Ruth is correct.  The drink price must be $9 or below.  Thanks, Ruth.

Nothing is worse than a website that doesn't make it clear what's included for packages, suites, etc, and that's exactly what the Holland America site is like. And then we have bad information given out by the people that answer the phones at Holland America, and that information will be passed on from there . How about Holland America putting it in writing when I book the cruise, as part of our contract? At this point, I have no idea what's included in my cruise package. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I get to my cabin. I do know that large waves will be part of my first night experience since that bad weather passed by us today.

2 hours ago, comcox said:

How does this work if you have a beverage card (not a package)?  I have a $50 beverage card included for my upcoming January cruise.

The beverage card is just like a pre-loaded credit card.  You have a credit balance and you can buy whatever drink you want.  The cost of the drink + the 15% gratuity is deducted from the balance.  So, for example, if you order a drink that costs $10, then $11.50 will be charged to the beverage card leaving you with a balance of $38.50.

with the X4 drink package all drinks up to $9 are covered. I usually tip the bartender at the beginning of the cruise at the pool bar near the smoking area as we use that the most. Always got a good pour  and a double when I asked for it. Charged for 2 drinks.

Seattle is clueless.  Just got off the Eurodam.  We had MANY drinks that were 8.50 to 9.00 and when they included tip it was almost $11.  And they were ALL covered in the package.  The people answering the phones in Seattle do not know what they are talking about.  

• Like 1

As long as the menu price for the drink is $9 or less, you are covered.  Don't even concern yourself about the 15% service charge, it has already been paid.   When you purchase the package online, before your cruise, it is $44.95 per day, and purchased onboard it is $49.95 per day, both prices are plus 15%.   You have already paid the service charge, so they won't be hitting you again for it.  If you get the SBP with Explore-4, HAL covers the 15%.

If you are paying as you go, a $9 drink will cost you $10.35 without the package.  The daily cost of the SBP, including the 15% is $51.70.   Divide $10.35 into $51.70 and you get 5 drinks.   The 6th drink and above are free.   

On 12/20/2018 at 4:41 PM, JCBAY4 said:

Nope. You can pick any drink with a menu price of up to and including $9.00. The 15% thing just means that you don't have to pay additional for gratuities when you order a drink. I am less than 12 hours off the Zuiderdam and we had the drink package. 

Okay, as we are on the subject of drink packages - we will have a 26-day collector's cruise next year.  First part is 12 very port intensive days in the Med - I don't think we will be drinking much, maybe a glass of wine, or two, with dinner.  But the next 14 days will be the TA, with just 3 ports, a drink package would be very useful to have.  Do you think we might be able to buy the SBP just for that portion of the cruise?  I may have to look into that...

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Okay, as we are on the subject of drink packages - we will have a 26-day collector's cruise next year.  First part is 12 very port intensive days in the Med - I don't think we will be drinking much, maybe a glass of wine, or two, with dinner.  But the next 14 days will be the TA, with just 3 ports, a drink package would be very useful to have.  Do you think we might be able to buy the SBP just for that portion of the cruise?  I may have to look into that...

I don't believe so, Ann.  Not if you booked it as collectors' cruise. You need to take it for the whole cruise.

I booked the P'dam last time as a B2B and had the SBP (Explore4) for the TA portion and nixed it on the 2nd leg where we were much more port intensive.

Sometimes there is not a major savings with the Collectors - might be worth looking to see if you can do it as a B2B and do the math?  

My Explore4 worked out to be much cheaper than $50 USD per day so after I did the math, I decided to go for it again for next year for the Collectors.  Hoping I can upgrade it to the Elite package on board 😉 

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Do you think we might be able to buy the SBP just for that portion of the cruise?  I may have to look into that...

Sadly, I think it's all or nothing. You're probably better off with happy hours.