MSC Status Program

Nymich

I just signed up, coming from Elite on Celebrity.  Was given Gold status on MSC.

Funny thing, the application sat for almost a week.  I called yesterday to ask about it and they saw it as pending in the system and said it would take another couple of days.  I asked if it could be 'expedited' as it was holding me up booking a cruise.  They said that wasn't possible – and an hour later I got the email!  [Conspiracy theories immediately spring to mind...]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had some quick action on a price problem with my reservation. I said I wanted to make the final payment right then and somehow the supervisor expedited the concern. I guess the secret is staying calm pleasant, but using a bit of financial muscle as an incentive for MSC to act promptly.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I just signed up, coming from Elite on Celebrity.  Was given Gold status on MSC.

Funny thing, the application sat for almost a week.  I called yesterday to ask about it and they saw it as pending in the system and said it would take another couple of days.  I asked if it could be 'expedited' as it was holding me up booking a cruise.  They said that wasn't possible – and an hour later I got the email!  [Conspiracy theories immediately spring to mind...]

I requested a match from a hotel program months after I booked my cruise (I didn't know they would match hotel status) and it took at least I week, I had forgotten all about it but I received the confirmation and a new invoice for the discount at the same time, so while you're all settled now, they did go back and credit me without asking. 

• Thanks 1

Emailed  jpg. photos of our Black (Elite) cards from  our last Princess sailing ending 12/22/18 along with the completed status match form. Took about a week to hear back that we had been awarded Black card status for our upcoming Spledida sailing the end of March. 

Edited by lambs2

As said above, most statuses won't match to Black anymore.  A few months ago, MSC would match anything above RCL Diamond to Black, now they only match Elite to Black.

I recently matched my RCL Diamond status to MSC Gold.

16 hours ago, FGJones said:

I requested a match from a hotel program months after I booked my cruise (I didn't know they would match hotel status) and it took at least I week, I had forgotten all about it but I received the confirmation and a new invoice for the discount at the same time, so while you're all settled now, they did go back and credit me without asking. 

As a matter of interest, did you match to Black?  I ask because you (normally) get a complimentary meal for 2 in a Speciality Restaurant.  However, I'm not sure if that will apply on Armonia as the SR has only recently been introduced on that ship.  I'll find out and report back if someone doesn't confirm it in the meantime.

Things are always changing. As per what I understand from where I live MSC now is only status matching to black card, the top level loyalty membership members of their own land  hotel or air line partners. All the others are by the most part being given entry MSC club membership level which is gold card. TBHH, I absolutely agree with this particular measure in respect with all those whom like me have acquired some loyalty status "the hard way". I also understand the need to give some recognition to business partner loyalty membership programs. At least they need those partners to fuel their activity, so why not to recognize their clients fuelling their own activity? Have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 2

We just got an email  this morning informing us we are Gold for their match status program.  We are Diamond Plus with RC and almost Elite Plus with Celebrity.  Did not realize it had changed.  We booked our first MSC cruise for this October in one of the YC suites.  

5 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Things are always changing. As per what I understand from where I live MSC now is only status matching to black card, the top level loyalty membership members of their own land  hotel or air line partners. All the others are by the most part being given entry MSC club membership level which is gold card. TBHH, I absolutely agree with this particular measure in respect with all those whom like me have acquired some loyalty status "the hard way". I also understand the need to give some recognition to business partner loyalty membership programs. At least they need those partners to fuel their activity, so why not to recognize their clients fuelling their own activity? Have a nice day!...

Actually the gold card is the third level of membership, just below Black.  This gives you lots of benefits, but as you say wisely gives you an incentive to earn points and move up to Black.  [There's also the catch that if you don't sail with MSC every three years you lose your status and have to start over.  They have really figured out how to make this loyalty program an incentive to cruise!]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Actually the gold card is the third level of membership, just below Black.  This gives you lots of benefits, but as you say wisely gives you an incentive to earn points and move up to Black.  [There's also the catch that if you don't sail with MSC every three years you lose your status and have to start over.  They have really figured out how to make this loyalty program an incentive to cruise!]

Oh! Many thanks to the nice words and the correction. You're right! For certain reason I confused MSC Club with another cruise line's scheme. And as in other aspects of cruising, this is one more where unfortunately MSC seems to act differently country by country... And yes: Giving incentive to earn points is also potentially good for the company and at the end of the day for the cruisers themselves!... 🙂 Have a nice day!... 🙂

12 hours ago, Beamafar said:

As a matter of interest, did you match to Black?  I ask because you (normally) get a complimentary meal for 2 in a Speciality Restaurant.  However, I'm not sure if that will apply on Armonia as the SR has only recently been introduced on that ship.  I'll find out and report back if someone doesn't confirm it in the meantime.

No, not to black. I am gold with a non-affiliated hotel chain and they matched me to silver. 

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's only going back to the way they set up their loyalty club, THE MSC CLUB, in the first place in 2008

Edited by Skier52

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

1 hour ago, Skier52 said:

That's only going back to the way they set up their loyalty club, THE MSC CLUB, in the first place in 2008

I didn't mean to imply that it's new [I only started looking into MSC this week!] or to criticize it – Celebrity made a big mistake when they started their program because apparently nobody foresaw that after decades they would have a huge number of Elite guests who would overwhelm the venues for the Elite events.  MSC seems to have learned from their experience [or not, given the way they were handing out Black status matches left and right until they realized the implications :classic_ohmy:].  Every cruise line has fine print that the loyalty benefits can be changed or rescinded at any time – but if they do, it's like the end of the world among their loyal passengers.

OTOH, some airlines [e.g. Jet Blue] have been dropping the time limits on their loyalty programs – apparently it's still worthwhile to lure back the occasional cruiser or someone who 'left in a huff.'

On 1/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, Markanddonna said:

I haven't seen an updated chart showing all the loyalty programs and how they correspond with an MSC status. They changed in October and now very few will match to Black. Still, it is worth it if you intend to cruise with MSC.

A friend has done status match this week Hilton Diamond and has been matched to Black....

Does anyone have the actual link showing the chart with the hotels plus cruise lines and what levels they match to on msc. I know its probably outdated but I have points with Hilton, Marriott, royal plus celebrity. The links posted earlier dont show this

13 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Does anyone have the actual link showing the chart with the hotels plus cruise lines and what levels they match to on msc. I know its probably outdated but I have points with Hilton, Marriott, royal plus celebrity. The links posted earlier dont show this

It's here but this was before the October changes, some will now match one level lower.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=384592

Someone just reported on the NCL forum that Platinum Plus only matched to gold, Platinum used to be enough for black, but now not even Platinum Plus is good enough.

13 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It's here but this was before the October changes, some will now match one level lower.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=384592

Someone just reported on the NCL forum that Platinum Plus only matched to gold, Platinum used to be enough for black, but now not even Platinum Plus is good enough.

Thanks. It gives me at least something. Hopefully I'll get lucky. Will be diamond after my 11/19 cruise and then elite on celebrity. Not sure of what our hotel statuses are as it's based on my husbands travel for work. Even so, the gold looks pretty good. 

49 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Interesting - I'm Gold with HH and got matched to Gold on MSC in November 

Definitely not complaining!