Typical ATM Fees

In the US ATM fees at various banks can range from $1.50 to $6.00 per transaction.  If I wanted to use our ATM Debit card to withdraw AUD, about what sort of ATM fee might I expect to pay??  My bank debit card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, so this seems like the best way to get AUDs once we arrive in Sydney.

Thanks,

Greg

Some charge nothing (Commonwealth bank recently removed charges for other bank cards), but I’m not sure if that applies to overseas cards, ask your bank if they have reciprocal arrangements with any Aussie bank.

34 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

Our bank doesn't have reciprocity agreements with any Australian bank, I asked.  As an aside, would a bank at Sydney Airport arrivals have a higher fee than in the CBD?

I haven't used an ATM at the airport, but I think that the charges would be the same for a particular bank, regardless of where the ATM was located. Maybe a search on the internet will show the ATM fees for each of our major banks (Commonwealth, ANZ, Westpac, NAB).

35 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I rarely use ATMs but always thought $2 was the usual if not using your own banks' ATM.

A Google search turned up this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATM_usage_fees

Not sure how up to date it is.

It changed a while back (2017?) - the big 4 banks stopped it anyway.  I notice the ones that used to be free - like Rediteller - now charge it instead.  The ones that will always charge are the privately owned ones.

1 minute ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

It changed a while back (2017?) - the big 4 banks stopped it anyway.  I notice the ones that used to be free - like Rediteller - now charge it instead.  The ones that will always charge are the privately owned ones.

I thought it was 2018 most stopped charging it.

nearly ended up owning a few once, when a bloke owed me some money and offered me his ATMs in payment, last m8nute he came up with some cash. I often wonder how it would have worked out.

8 hours ago, USNA 72 said:

In the US ATM fees at various banks can range from $1.50 to $6.00 per transaction.  If I wanted to use our ATM Debit card to withdraw AUD, about what sort of ATM fee might I expect to pay??  My bank debit card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, so this seems like the best way to get AUDs once we arrive in Sydney.

Thanks,

Greg

Much the same as in USA... I seek out bank owned ATM's when in AU or USA .. Charges are minimal and usually 4- $5AU  if not your own bank or reciprocal  ..   BUT to transact through privately owned ATM's is always hit and miss with unclear charges... 

Edited by Big Kev
clarify