Platinum dinners: Ribeyes are now $22 at Cagneys!

fstuff1

1 hour ago, KateQ22003 said:

I disagree. They have cut back,  I do feel nickel and dimed, and I feel that my business is less valued. As you said, we have lots of options; up until now I have chosen to stay with NCL. Now the certificate for a meal doesn't cover the meal? Keep in mind more often than not I travel solo; I am already sacrificing a dinner since they won't let me use the certificate twice. We used to get platinum rewards per member; now it's per cabin. When I travel with the family, all platinum members, we get a fraction of what we used to get. I can go on, but there's no point. We all have to think with our wallets. If I am going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a suite and have to cough up a few bucks for my meal, that's just cheap and does nothing to make me feel valued by NCL.

You are the exception you must realize, You travel solo, most cruisers do not and you stay in suites; most cruisers haven't even seen a suite. While you are unhappy with paying $2 more for an entree, think about those who do not drink but part of their perk is a bottle of wine. NO program fits everyone. And nothing  in life affects everyone without exceptions. What you are doing is basing a perk on you situation and not considering the average person or the majority. I am a senior and I can complain about the entertainment on some ships because they do not fit my likes or my era, but I realize much of the entertainment is geared to the majority of cruisers. Thus I find something that works for me without feeling cheated. 

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I’ve not heard anything about Teppenyaki going a la carte, and am not sure how that would even work.

Have I missed something?

Not yet, but it wouldnt be hard to see them going to individual prices on the different options on the menu...

17 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

You are the exception you must realize, You travel solo, most cruisers do not and you stay in suites; most cruisers haven't even seen a suite. While you are unhappy with paying $2 more for an entree, think about those who do not drink but part of their perk is a bottle of wine. NO program fits everyone. And nothing  in life affects everyone without exceptions. What you are doing is basing a perk on you situation and not considering the average person or the majority. I am a senior and I can complain about the entertainment on some ships because they do not fit my likes or my era, but I realize much of the entertainment is geared to the majority of cruisers. Thus I find something that works for me without feeling cheated. 

I do travel solo and in a suite and I don't feel cheated.  I get two dinners, with one being in Cagney's, and I don't think I lost anything.  BTW, I never asked to use one certificate twice because I travel solo.

16 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I don't look at the platinum benefits as perks in the way you are thinking about perks; I look at them as rewards to their loyal customers for choosing to spend their vacation dollars with NCL. I think the big problem is that I have only been cruising with NCL since 2006, and the changes I have noticed in how they treat their return customers since then are quite noticeable. Every cruise I take, and I do 2-4 a year with NCL, I notice one more reward being either reduced or eliminated. Sure, not all rewards are going to appeal to all travelers, but I think we can all agree that the yearly shrinkage/removal of these types of rewards while the prices have gone sky high sends a huge message about the value they place on our loyalty.

I think it's great that some folks make whatever is thrown their way work for them.  Seems like a great way to live life.   I also don't think anyone claimed to feel cheated.  "cheat" wasn't mentioned until newmexicoNita brought it up.  Couple people mentioned some concerns, but, hardly did they say they were cheated out of something.

In my opinion, if an organization is going to give you a free meal, it really ought to be free for more than just 4 selections on an otherwise robust menu.  Likewise, if you are going to ask people to kick in a couple bucks towards their "free" meal, then, don't be surprised when people complain about being nickled and dimed.  You can't have it both ways.

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I think it's great that some folks make whatever is thrown their way work for them.  Seems like a great way to live life.   I also don't think anyone claimed to feel cheated.  "cheat" wasn't mentioned until newmexicoNita brought it up.  Couple people mentioned some concerns, but, hardly did they say they were cheated out of something.

In my opinion, if an organization is going to give you a free meal, it really ought to be free for more than just 4 selections on an otherwise robust menu.  Likewise, if you are going to ask people to kick in a couple bucks towards their "free" meal, then, don't be surprised when people complain about being nickled and dimed.  You can't have it both ways.

You can get a free meal with the PP perks. It just doesn't apply to everything on the menu. The $20 limit has been in place for a couple of years. If things are no longer included in the rules, it is a business decision by NCL. Everyone that is PP has spent a lot of money with NCL but not everyone feels entitled to more than what they are given as a gift for brand loyalty. What brand has a loyalty program that has increased benefits over the years?

They have a limited wine menu they offer with the meal, I can see them developing a PP meal menu.

If the current perks/rewards aren't  for you, you have many other choices.

Safe sailing all! 😊

Don't look now, but there are 20-30% price increases on entrees in le bistro on epic effective with the current sailing. The bottom of the menu has 1/19 printed on it. The beef dish is up from 19.99 to a whopping 23.99, so that platinum meal is $3.99. oops make it $4.77 including the seventy eight cent gratuity. This is enough to cover NCL cost of the food.

I spoke with restaurant supervisor and he comped it out so I didn't have to pay. I think there is only one entree under $20. It is the vegetarian dish at $17.99, up from $11.99.

Same with entrees in cucina. There is a sea bass at 19.99 and a chicken at 17.99. everything else at 20.99 and up. Beef dish in cucina also at $23.99. I might order the entree at $20.99 so I can pay NCL .99 for my dinner plus a twenty cent gratuity, for a grand total of $1.20. Hahaha. All pasta entrees below $20, but pasta very cheap cost to NCL.

This pricing model follows what NCL did with the UBP. If you have a package,  you eat in the speciality restaurants. Very few pay printed menu prices. 

Also, this is not the crews fault. When you talk to them they kinda nod and roll their eyes about the silly price increases. I imagine they are dealing with this on multiple fronts, while the suits in Miami are counting beans.

Edited by blcruising

23 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

What brand has a loyalty program that has increased benefits over the years?

I don't know any brand that hasn't reduced benefits in one way or another.  Being Diamond at Caesars, last year they took away aspiration tiers, which included free airfare to one of their locations and a folio credit.  My bank no longers counts my debit card purchases to receive benefits, now it is only my credit card.  My grocery store won't allow you to keep your gas points for more than the month you accrue them and the next month, where there use to be no expiration on them at all.

I don't shop, bank or cruise for perks and even though I enjoy the perks, it is not the reason I do business with a company or cruise line.  I shop, bank and cruise with companies that three me how I think I should be treated and their products are up to the standards I want.  I also don't feel that they are not showing me the value of my business, because being in business for many years, I understand that things have to change.

As far as a robust meal, I don't think that is necessary, but I do think they should give an appetizer, entree, two sides and a dessert. 

Some might agree with my opinion and some won't, but that is fine, because if we all thought the same way, what a boring world this would be. 

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I do travel solo and in a suite and I don't feel cheated.  I get two dinners, with one being in Cagney's, and I don't think I lost anything.  BTW, I never asked to use one certificate twice because I travel solo.

I never have either; just saying that as a solo traveler the rewards for platinum are lousy. But, it's much better than when I travel with the family and we get one set of coupons for the whole group.

On 1/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, micm said:

. If the group is big enough the cruise line caters imho to much towards those special language groups, which in turn then approach the staff in their first language which annoys the heck out of me and the whole atmosphere on board changes. I have met great people from a lot of different places all foreign to english just like me on primarily english speaking cruise lines as everyone expected to get out of their language comfort zone.

On MSC, same with costa, it is more like 500 italians, 400 french, 300 german, 300 spanish, 300 english, ... completely changes the experience. 

Sorry for offtopic 🙂

Did it ever occur to you that when on a European (Italian) cruise line that English is the special language group that the cruise line is "catering " to?

• Like 1

My DH & I cruised on MSC Divina and loved the different languages and how beautifully the staff took care of them no matter what language they spoke.  We live a world that is so diverse, it's wonderful to see so many different people from different ethnicities and countries, come together and enjoy the same thing... cruising.  

5 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

I don't look at the platinum benefits as perks in the way you are thinking about perks; I look at them as rewards to their loyal customers for choosing to spend their vacation dollars with NCL. I think the big problem is that I have only been cruising with NCL since 2006, and the changes I have noticed in how they treat their return customers since then are quite noticeable. Every cruise I take, and I do 2-4 a year with NCL, I notice one more reward being either reduced or eliminated. Sure, not all rewards are going to appeal to all travelers, but I think we can all agree that the yearly shrinkage/removal of these types of rewards while the prices have gone sky high sends a huge message about the value they place on our loyalty.

We too have been cruising with NCL since 2004. The changes are noticeable and I do realize they are a for profit corporation.  I get it.  If it weren’t for those darn customers,  business would be so simple.

We are the customers. I agree that these perks are rewards. We just reached platinum recently and it was WONDERFUL enjoying the rewards.  I doubt they even considered the rewards program when they increased the menu prices. Maybe they will someday.  

NCL has created bigger issues. Prices have gone up. In my opinion, quality has gone down since 2004. But I still cruise commercially because I don’t own a ship.  I hope the industry never changes enough to make me, the customer, look for another way to spend my money.  Until then I remain a cruiser. 

Edited by trex-de

17 hours ago, PATRLR said:

The certificate says "up to so much" what is so hard to understand about that? You see this often when things are offered free. As I have mentioned, but you do always seem to read just what you want to read, I did miss the "UP to" and was disappointed when charged extra on our last cruise. Now that I found out I didn't pay attention I don't blame anyone but myself.  I also think this topic has run its course, so guess it is time to let it go. 

• Like 1

Loyalty programs, Suite perks, specialty restaurant pricing - these are things that are used to compare the various mainstream lines against each other.  Good programs and/or perks can attract loyalty and can create a distinction between various mainstream lines.  When your front office begins to whittle down and water down the perks to gain a few more nickels,  they might have just made their own product less desireable.  The only question for each individual is where is the tolerance level in your case...  How far can they push you before you before you're not as likely to book with that particular line ?  

In today's cruise market, the mainstream lines like RCL, CCL, NCL, X and so on are becoming more alike than different.  Sometimes it can be the little things that sets one line apart from another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

The certificate says "up to so much" what is so hard to understand about that? You see this often when things are offered free. As I have mentioned, but you do always seem to read just what you want to read, I did miss the "UP to" and was disappointed when charged extra on our last cruise. Now that I found out I didn't pay attention I don't blame anyone but myself.  I also think this topic has run its course, so guess it is time to let it go. 

There is nothing to understand about that; the issue is they have raised prices on most of the entrees to the point that only 3-4 choices fall under the "up to so much". I equate it to these stores that do 40% off coupons for your highest priced regularly priced item, but then make sure everything is on sale so nothing qualifies.

28 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

I equate it to these stores that do 40% off coupons for your highest priced regularly priced item, but then make sure everything is on sale so nothing qualifies.

Or even worse, the store raises the price of an item by like 10% and then put it on sale for 10% off so it is roughly the same price..soo much for trying to save money..

Edited by shof515