NCL Review after 10 Carnival Cruises

Martini Mom

We have cruised with Carnival 10 times and decided to give NCL a try. My husband wasn’t happy with the downward trend in Carnival’s food and service over the years. This review is just our nitpicking opinion of how we view the two companies. Take it or leave it J.

Rooms/Cabins: NCL has much prettier rooms, but Carnival wins on size. We prefer NCL’s color palate, solid shower doors, and sliding balcony doors, but Carnival’s cabin size. We also miss Carnival’s loaner bathrobes. Slight win for NCL in this category.

Food: Both companies fall short on vegan food for us, but we expect that, so we aren’t expecting much. NCL has better food as a whole and good vegan options in the buffet (especially daily curry options). They will also provide almond milk upon request. Our ship, the Star, offers 24/7 food from O’Sheehans. The options are definitely more than Carnival’s pizza and salad, but you have to wait to be seated and it’s like a casual dining experience. If you are hungry after drinking at 1 am, you miss grabbing a slice of Carnival’s pizza and heading out to an open deck. No fuss, no muss. It’s more laid back and we missed that. That said, my young adult boys loved getting a late night shepherd’s pie. I’d call the food category a tie. I could go on and on about the food, so if you have questions, just message me.

Service: I’d say that NCL provides better service as a whole, but not dramatically. Both lines have international employees that do their very best to provide excellent service. The one are that Carnival definitely wins is on debarkation. They have clear instructions, printed info and plenty of staff guiding your way. I felt as lost as a newbie on NCL. We weren’t sure what to do. The process was SUPER fast, but we felt lost. One or two staff members guiding the way would’ve been perfect.

Entertainment: This is a very mixed bag for us. The stage shows on NCL were FAR better than Carnival. The dancers, singers, and acrobats were way above the entertainers that Carnival provides. They were EXCELLENT! BUT…. We missed a few things with NCL and now see why Carnival is called the Fun Ships. We LOOOOVE comedy! NCL had the comedian aboard the whole cruise, but only had him perform the last night of the 7 day cruise. Not only that, but it was a family show only, so he was censored and limited (thus not that funny). Our favorite ship entertainment is the stand up comedy, so this was a HIGE let down. There is no piano bar. There is a very small karaoke bar (the 5o’clock bar) that we kind of turned into a sing-a-long bar out of necessity. My 18 and 21 yr old sons missed the late night Carnival entertainment and so did we. Also… the sail way party was pitiful. Basically non-existent. They really are missing the Fun.

Misc: NCL is excellent at tendering! They get you on and off the ship with precision. No joke! Embarkation, debarkation, tendering, they have it down! The fastest we’ve ever seen! Full win for NCL. Also, their Unlimited Beverage Program is awesome! No daily limits, no slips to sign, and offered as a perk when you book. We are sold on that perk!

Final: After all is said and done. My husband is 100% ready to go back to Carnival. He’ll still complain to me about things, but not about the things that really matter to us. J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roscoe123 said:

Carnival does comedy (and late night entertainment) better than any other cruise line!  But I can’t deal with their food.

Having sailed on 7 different lines over the past 30+ years, IMHO, no line has more varied lunch options than Carnival that are all included. Guy's Burgers, BlueIguana Cantina, Cucina del Capitano, Jiji's Asian Kitchen/Mongolian Wok, Pizza Pirate, Fresh Creations Salad Bar, Guy's Pig n Anchor BBQ & Seaday Brunch.

I second the statement on the larger NCL ships having more comedy and entertainment options. 

Otherwise, your comments very nearly match our experiences as well.  Especially the late night pizza, I definitely miss that when not on Carnival.

9 hours ago, Martini Mom said:

We have cruised with Carnival 10 times and decided to give NCL a try. My husband wasn’t happy with the downward trend in Carnival’s food and service over the years. This review is just our nitpicking opinion of how we view the two companies. Take it or leave it J.

Rooms/Cabins: NCL has much prettier rooms, but Carnival wins on size. We prefer NCL’s color palate, solid shower doors, and sliding balcony doors, but Carnival’s cabin size. We also miss Carnival’s loaner bathrobes. Slight win for NCL in this category.

Food: Both companies fall short on vegan food for us, but we expect that, so we aren’t expecting much. NCL has better food as a whole and good vegan options in the buffet (especially daily curry options). They will also provide almond milk upon request. Our ship, the Star, offers 24/7 food from O’Sheehans. The options are definitely more than Carnival’s pizza and salad, but you have to wait to be seated and it’s like a casual dining experience. If you are hungry after drinking at 1 am, you miss grabbing a slice of Carnival’s pizza and heading out to an open deck. No fuss, no muss. It’s more laid back and we missed that. That said, my young adult boys loved getting a late night shepherd’s pie. I’d call the food category a tie. I could go on and on about the food, so if you have questions, just message me.

Service: I’d say that NCL provides better service as a whole, but not dramatically. Both lines have international employees that do their very best to provide excellent service. The one are that Carnival definitely wins is on debarkation. They have clear instructions, printed info and plenty of staff guiding your way. I felt as lost as a newbie on NCL. We weren’t sure what to do. The process was SUPER fast, but we felt lost. One or two staff members guiding the way would’ve been perfect.

Entertainment: This is a very mixed bag for us. The stage shows on NCL were FAR better than Carnival. The dancers, singers, and acrobats were way above the entertainers that Carnival provides. They were EXCELLENT! BUT…. We missed a few things with NCL and now see why Carnival is called the Fun Ships. We LOOOOVE comedy! NCL had the comedian aboard the whole cruise, but only had him perform the last night of the 7 day cruise. Not only that, but it was a family show only, so he was censored and limited (thus not that funny). Our favorite ship entertainment is the stand up comedy, so this was a HIGE let down. There is no piano bar. There is a very small karaoke bar (the 5o’clock bar) that we kind of turned into a sing-a-long bar out of necessity. My 18 and 21 yr old sons missed the late night Carnival entertainment and so did we. Also… the sail way party was pitiful. Basically non-existent. They really are missing the Fun.

Misc: NCL is excellent at tendering! They get you on and off the ship with precision. No joke! Embarkation, debarkation, tendering, they have it down! The fastest we’ve ever seen! Full win for NCL. Also, their Unlimited Beverage Program is awesome! No daily limits, no slips to sign, and offered as a perk when you book. We are sold on that perk!

Final: After all is said and done. My husband is 100% ready to go back to Carnival. He’ll still complain to me about things, but not about the things that really matter to us. J

thanks for giving us and others a review on how you feel about the two lines. I didn't think it was nit picking at all even if I do not agree with everything you said. That is what reviews are all about and CC is all about. We can all disagree and still be friends. Thanks again. I will add just one thing: nothing wrong with the Star but you may have had a little different opinion or hubby might have, if you had been on one of the other ships. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, klarson1027 said:

Thanks for the review. We are going on the Bliss in 3 weeks and it will be our first cruise with NCL. We have been on Carnival 4 times and loved them. Just want to try a different line and see. Hoping we have a blast.

Haven't been on the Bliss yet but plan to try her in the future.  We love the mega ships and have to say the sail away party on the BA and the GA are great.  Don't judge by this review as the Star is a smaller ship and doesn't have the bells and whistles that the mega ships have.  There is a lot more entertainment for all tastes on the larger ships, but also larger crowds.  Never seemed to be a issue for us but others wouldn't agree.  I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. We love NCL and her product.

• Like 1

Comedy on Carnival Horizon was not any better than on RCL Breakaway.  Gotta agree the lunch time burgers and Mexican food were best on Carnival.  The theatre on Horizon was the worst I've been to on any Cruise ship for optics and acoustics.  Too much of the entertainment on a 14 day TA was a singer and prerecorded instrumental music.  I prefer a live band, it was like listening to very good karaoke.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review.  Have only been on NCL Mega Ships and absolutely love them.  The entertainment on the Mega ships is awesome.  They have multiple comedy shows at different times for adult and family friendly through week.  The productions are always very enjoyable as are the bands and howl at the moon. 

Give NCL another try on the Away or Away plus ships and you might have a better experience.  We have been on Breakaway, Escape (2), Epic (2) and leaving on the Bliss in 2 weeks.  We have loved every single cruise..........service, food, entertainment and amenities.    The Perks are awesome and another reason we book..... LOL   We are currently also booked on Star for the Med/Greek Isles cruise out of Venice in October but don't have any doubt we will love every minute.

Again, Thank you for your honest review..

I agree 100 with you review.  Many thanks.  Enjoyed it.

I am new to cruising (first in 2017) and have only been on Carnival , NCL and MSC and I have to say that I enjoyed the Carnival Splendor and NCL Breakaway (Haven) equally but I have to say, I loved the Carnival Fun factor... the comedy club and pool side games were really fun.  The lunch food on the Carnival is just amazing and I prefer the Carnival drink package as it includes so much more and I will likely only drink more than 15 OH drinks on a cruise maybe once or twice.  I am on NCL Getaway next week only because I could not find a Carnival ship with basketball court for my son that worked for the last minute booking.

On entertainment and food... don't even get me started on MSC.  I was in their Yacht Club in the Baltic for 12 days in the fall and it was less that idea and certainly zero "mojo fun factor"!  Both Carnival and NCL were way better even if you compared a regular cabin on those lines to the YC on MSC.

Thanks again.  Cheers. Seven sleeps.

I just got off of the Breakaway.  I have cruised several times with Carnival and always wanted to try NCL and a big ship.  I was very, very impressed.  Loved the ship decor, size of stateroom (especially the bathroom) and the food was better than Carnival.  I was a little put off by the smaller atrium and lack of atrium elevators, but quickly adjusted.  A lot of little things were better for me; they didn’t push pictures like Carnival does or push drinks like Carnival does.  Ship was really, really clean too.  I also liked the idea of “The Waterfront”, which is an outdoor area outside of the various restaurants and bars, where you could eat/hang out.    

Entertainment was really good.  Broadway style show “Rock of Ages” and ballroom dancing show called “Burn the Floor”.  both were excellent.  I was never able to get a reservation for the comedy shows.  Entertainment in the main dining room and atrium areas every night, plus a new concept bar that is like a rock club, with a live band playing rock music.  

Downside is about the “Freestyle” program.  While it was easy to go into the included restaurants easily at any time, you had to make reservations for many of the entertainment options and extra charge restaurants.  Not so “Freestyle”.  If you didn’t get a reservation, you were out of luck.  

I also didn’t like that they had a somewhat glassed-in room for smokers right up on the pool deck, next to the pool. This room was always crowded and  If you were laying by the pool and the wind was blowing the wrong way, you got a lot of unwanted smoke.  

NCL has a reputation for “nickel and diming” you and I would agree with that.  $20 to get in the ice bar plus drinks, $6 to bowl, lots of arcade type games, extra cost for ice cream items at O’Sheehan’s restaurant, etc.

Overall, I would choose NCL over Carnival again in a heartbeat, but probably only on one of the Away or Away plus ships.