Name on Passport vs Name on Booking

sailawaybellaluna

Hi all! I booked a cruise for one of my best friends and I, and had a quick question regarding names on our travel documents. I just hung up with a rep at Carnival, but unfortunately, didn't gain much clarity.

When my friend got married 5 years ago, she added her maiden name to her middle name, so she has two middle names now. She updated her legal names and also updated her drivers license and her passport, so no issues there.

When I booked the cruise I used her LEGAL first name and her LEGAL last name. That's it. However, I just looked at a copy of her passport and under "Given Names", it shows her legal first name as well as two middle names. Of course, on the passport, the final two names aren't categorized as middle names. All three names simply show up under "Given Name".

So I called Carnival to add the names so our booking would match her passport, and was told not to do that if the FIRST of those "Given Names" is the ONLY LEGAL FIRST NAME.  Because Carnival doesn't use middle names on booking.

Yes, only the FIRST of her given names is her legal first name , but how would anyone at the pier or elsewhere know that? Again, three names appear as her GIVEN NAME on her passport.

I've been on 24 cruises and on two of those, I've seen people denied boarding (for different reasons), and I'm terrified of that happening to us! 😩 I'd feel comfortable if her booking reflected all of her names.

What do you think?

8 hours ago, riffatsea said:

First and last name will be fine on booking and on any airline tix.

By not disclosing your middle name(s) on your booking can cause denied boarding. It happens every day. Your airline ticket should show your given names run together without spaces, and your last name. These must exactly match your travel documents. Airlines don't always prompt you for your full name, but then if you are denied boarding, they keep your money in most cases, and sell your seat to a standby passenger. Information from the TSA:

Secure Flight is a risk-based passenger prescreening program that enhances security by identifying low and high-risk passengers before they arrive at the airport by matching their names against trusted traveler lists and watchlists.

To protect privacy, the Secure Flight program collects the minimum amount of personal information, such as full name, date of birth, and gender, necessary to conduct effective matching. Read the Privacy Impact Assessment and the System of Records Notice for information about the program's rigorous privacy protections. Personal data is collected, used, distributed, stored and disposed of according to stringent guidelines.

Secure Flight transmits the screening instructions back to the airlines to identify low-risk passengers eligible for TSA Pre®; individuals on the Selectee List who are designated for enhanced screening; and those who will receive standard screening. Secure Flight also prevents individuals on the No Fly List and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Do Not Board List from boarding an aircraft. The Travel Redress Program provides resolution for travel-related screening or inspection issues.

IF you go to the Airline Forum on Trip Adviser,you will see this question about middle names asked every single day. There is not one case of a person being denied boarding mentioned for not including a middle name IF the first and last names are spelled correctly.

This question is not about an airline but is about a cruise line.

@sailawaybellaluna,

Call the cruise line and just add the names to the booking. Don't ask the rep questions as they are just sales people and do not know answers to questions about anything but the prices!!

19 hours ago, sailawaybellaluna said:

Hi all! I booked a cruise for one of my best friends and I, and had a quick question regarding names on our travel documents. I just hung up with a rep at Carnival, but unfortunately, didn't gain much clarity.

When my friend got married 5 years ago, she added her maiden name to her middle name, so she has two middle names now. She updated her legal names and also updated her drivers license and her passport, so no issues there.

When I booked the cruise I used her LEGAL first name and her LEGAL last name. That's it. However, I just looked at a copy of her passport and under "Given Names", it shows her legal first name as well as two middle names. Of course, on the passport, the final two names aren't categorized as middle names. All three names simply show up under "Given Name".

So I called Carnival to add the names so our booking would match her passport, and was told not to do that if the FIRST of those "Given Names" is the ONLY LEGAL FIRST NAME.  Because Carnival doesn't use middle names on booking.

Yes, only the FIRST of her given names is her legal first name , but how would anyone at the pier or elsewhere know that? Again, three names appear as her GIVEN NAME on her passport.

I've been on 24 cruises and on two of those, I've seen people denied boarding (for different reasons), and I'm terrified of that happening to us! 😩 I'd feel comfortable if her booking reflected all of her names.

What do you think?

Just checked my own passport for reference. Given name includes middle name (s) and as long as the first of those names and the surname match the cruise documents, there will not be a problem. In the future it is a good idea to use her full name to avoid confusion. I learned this the hard way when I neglected to include my middle name on my first ever international flight and had to jump through hoops and spend hours on the phone to add it. Some countries will deny entry if your passport and flight info dont match exactly, but this is not the case for a cruise.

Edited by Doggielover68

I just booked a cruise yesterday and I asked the question again -  No middle initial on my cruise documents but it's on my passport.  Agent said no problem.  I have used my passport on cruises in the past and had no problem but I always ask.  Might be best to call your cruise line to  put your mind at ease.  Enjoy your trip!

II would just bring all the legal documentation that shows all those names are her.  Last cruise my daughter booked by her married last name, but her passport was still under her maiden name (drivers license was married name).  I had a picture of her marriage license on my phone that tied the two together and we had no problem.  They did ask to see the phone with the marriage license photo.  If your bank has a free notary, maybe even have a notarized statement of her legal names and all variations. 

Kind of off topic...I go by a shortened version of my first name.  The only places my first name is used is my social security card, passport and birth certificate.  When I began using my passport on our 7th or 8th cruise, Carnival advised me to start booking using my given name. A few weeks after the first cruise following their policy, I started getting junk mail addressed to my given name. It's crazy to see who Carnival sells our info to.

Something similar happens with my mom, and she has never had a problem. Her name is Sue Ann Smith (not really but using this as an example) with Sue Ann being her legal first name. No middle name. Her passport says Sue Ann Smith. Her DL says Sue Ann Smith. Carnival knows her and books her as Sue Smith.  On the ship, she is called Sue! No problems to date.

What likely happened is that the first booking agent thought Ann was a middle name and dropped it. Your friend will be fine!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

We have called Carnival twice now to discuss this issue, and were told to leave it as is - with legal first and last name only. She used the example of "Mary Jo" and asked if my friend put "Mary" as her LEGAL FIRST NAME on her passport application, or did she put "Mary Jo" as her legal first name. Now, to me, it all just says "Given Names" so I don't know how anyone at the pier would decipher anyway?

So, they'll only have her cruise docs match her passport exactly if she claims the given names are ALL part of her legal first name.

I've advised her to bring her old passport from before she was married showing her maiden name, and her birth certificate specifying her middle name, so she can simply prove she combined those two for a new middle name should it be required.

Thanks for all your feedback! I realize the rules on cruising are quite different than international airline tix, which is why I wanted to triple check with all of you! Wherever I go, I make sure my reservations match my passport exactly. But I also don't have middle names or initials on my passport...