First Time Cruiser - Dinner Attire

Willie Joe

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Sorry but actually you're wrong about Regent has a dress code--if they did they would enforce it period.  On our last cruise on Mariner in the main dinning room (CR), one of the entertainers came into the dinning room in light blue jeans, nice shirt and was seated with no problem.  There was no way a person wouldn't have notice the jeans.  Regent did nothing and knew how he was dressed and did nothing about it.  I really don't care because he looked nicely dressed, and Regent didn't care.  Sorry but that is the way it is..........and he wasn't the only person during the cruise that wear jeans to dinner.  Again to have a policy you need to enforced it or it's not a policy.

Regent does have a dress code (if you doubt this I suggest you contact Jason O'Keefe or Jason Montague).  The problem is with enforcement.  It is embarrassing to both the person enforcing the dress code and the person being asked to change to proper evening attire.  I have spoken to the CEO of NCLH, and the President of Regent and there definitely is a dress code (as is written on their website and repeated every single day in Passages).  The issue is with passengers that think they are entitled to wear whatever they wish and have no respect whatsoever for Regent!

A couple of years ago, a few people on CC said that there was no policy about chair hogging on the pool deck.  Many people were not observing this policy.  I personally wrote to Jason Montague about this and the next thing I knew there was a table where passengers belongings were put after 30 minutes and there were more notices put in Passages.  

Threads such as this one only encourages passengers to continue with their rude behavior and to ignore Regent's policies.  For this reason I speak up (loudly) on this issue.  

MalbecWine - As you know, Crystal permits dress jeans so that is not relevant (nor is the dress code of any other cruise line).  Black "material" is fine - denim is not!

Think that Mr. Montague needs another email!

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent does have a dress code (if you doubt this I suggest you contact Jason O'Keefe or Jason Montague).  The problem is with enforcement.  It is embarrassing to both the person enforcing the dress code and the person being asked to change to proper evening attire.  I have spoken to the CEO of NCLH, and the President of Regent and there definitely is a dress code (as is written on their website and repeated every single day in Passages).  The issue is with passengers that think they are entitled to wear whatever they wish and have no respect whatsoever for Regent!

A couple of years ago, a few people on CC said that there was no policy about chair hogging on the pool deck.  Many people were not observing this policy.  I personally wrote to Jason Montague about this and the next thing I knew there was a table where passengers belongings were put after 30 minutes and there were more notices put in Passages.  

Threads such as this one only encourages passengers to continue with their rude behavior and to ignore Regent's policies.  For this reason I speak up (loudly) on this issue.  

MalbecWine - As you know, Crystal permits dress jeans so that is not relevant (nor is the dress code of any other cruise line).  Black "material" is fine - denim is not!

Think that Mr. Montague needs another email!

Oh, go ahead and E-Mail Mr. Montaque and I will put in my notes in as well and many others will to regarding dress code that is clearly not enforced and draconian at that.  I have had a lot of e-mails agreeing with me.  Thank you guys who replied.

30 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Oh, go ahead and E-Mail Mr. Montaque and I will put in my notes in as well and many others will to regarding dress code that is clearly not enforced and draconian at that.  I have had a lot of e-mails agreeing with me.  Thank you guys who replied.

I'm sure that you do but CC only represents a small percentage of Regent customers.  When you sail on Regent you will find that 99% of passengers follow the dress code that some people think does not exist.  

SWFLOAK  - appreciate your thoughtful post!       

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

TC, Once again here we go!  It doesn't matter at all what "YOU" or "I" think about the dress code.  If "REGENT" doesn't enforce this code, Regent has no policy on the subject.  After all we're all adults, and if someone is nicely dressed at dinner, who really cares. I'm more concerned about the service, the food at my table on Regent when having dinner.

Malbec, couldn't agree more with you on this subject.

Saying that there is not a dress code is not only inaccurate but problematic for people reading this thread.  I just verified (once again) with Regent Corporate that there is a dress code.  The important part of the email was:

".......I trust the onboard team is capable of handling the dress code accordingly.   

We have a policy, it is not changing. 

So, rather than providing misinformation to people new to Regent, you may want to rethink your position (just a friendly suggestion). 

Edited by Travelcat2

I would say that sometimes Regent has a dress code and sometimes it doesn't.  It is sort of like the internet--sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't 😀

Obviously Regent doesn't consistently enforce a "no jeans" dress code in the evening.  So the practical dress code is more along the lines that dress jeans that don't look like traditional blue jeans are likely to be okay, maybe less dressy jeans are okay, and sometimes maybe they aren't.

My husband wears the same thing to dinner every night - khakis, a button down shirt, and a blue blazer.  He wears the blazer because he likes the layer for warmth.  I also wear the same thing every night - black pants (not very dressy, almost like dressy yoga pants) and a silky top and pashmina wrap.  It all packs well, doesn't wrinkle and looks perfectly fine in any dining venue.  As I said, we couldn't care less what others are wearing and I've never noticed anyone improperly dressed.  The staff and our fellow passengers are warm and welcoming....just dress as you would for a nice evening out and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, morneau said:

My husband wears the same thing to dinner every night - khakis, a button down shirt, and a blue blazer.  He wears the blazer because he likes the layer for warmth.  I also wear the same thing every night - black pants (not very dressy, almost like dressy yoga pants) and a silky top and pashmina wrap.  It all packs well, doesn't wrinkle and looks perfectly fine in any dining venue.  As I said, we couldn't care less what others are wearing and I've never noticed anyone improperly dressed.  The staff and our fellow passengers are warm and welcoming....just dress as you would for a nice evening out and you'll be fine.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Willie Joe said:

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I really did not mean to start a thread (no pun intended) that is apparently a touchy subject. 

Do what you feel is correct for you and your companion(s) and I'm sure you'll be just fine. 

Calm seas and sunny skies to you! 🌞

1 hour ago, Willie Joe said:

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I really did not mean to start a thread (no pun intended) that is apparently a touchy subject. 

Don't worry, I think you question was a good on---and now Regent has something to talk about during Marketing Meetings with ideas and thoughts about what their customers are thinking.  Thanks for joining the group, Hopoe to hear from you again.  I'll be on Regent in April this year--will let you know what I see..........Rick

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

I'll be on Regent in April this year--will let you know what I see..........Rick

Please do! I'm guessing what you report back to the group will be very enlightening. 

Happy Sailing!

Regent's Dress Code: - taken from the RSSC website -

>>

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM, with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill or Pool Bar and on the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner, once again with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill and on the final evening of the cruise. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.>>

Personally I think they need to modify this to state "BLUE jeans" when referring to casual.  Anyway at the risk of seeming a Cassandra when the Dress Code was "relaxed" some years ago I did say right here on CC that this was the thin end of the wedge!!  Which it seemed to have been.

Jerry, you're precisely right. On the Mariner in November, approached the Restaurant Manager in Compass Rose, with what I though was a clear violation of Regent's dress code (a woman wearing white jeans and she had a top that allowd her midriff to be exposed).  The Restaurant Manager told me that only guests wearing blue jeans would be turned away.

Edited by WesW

Showing the midriff is a bit too much. Most men don’t wear white jeans but ladies would look appropriate with a conventional elegant blouse or sparkling top.

As an aside, you and Ida always are well dressed no matter what you are wearing from the photos I have seen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Regent's Dress Code: - taken from the RSSC website -

>>

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM, with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill or Pool Bar and on the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner, once again with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill and on the final evening of the cruise. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.>>

Personally I think they need to modify this to state "BLUE jeans" when referring to casual.  Anyway at the risk of seeming a Cassandra when the Dress Code was "relaxed" some years ago I did say right here on CC that this was the thin end of the wedge!!  Which it seemed to have been.

Gerry, thank you for reminding us about dining at the Pool Grill at night.  That is one place where you can pretty much wear whatever you like.  If you want to go to a lounge after dinner, you would need to adhere to the Elegant Casual dress code.   

On 1/13/2019 at 4:59 PM, Willie Joe said:

Hello. My husband and I will be sailing with Regent for the first time in February. This is not only our first time with Regent, but our first time to cruise. It’s taken 25 years for me to convince him he might not hate it. We knew we were not big boat folks right away and Regent sounds wonderful.

Willie Joe, Personally, this is a topic that just doesn't interest me enough to comment on one way or another.  I just want to welcome you to Regent and wish you a wonderful cruise, I am confident that you will love it.

Bob

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WesW said:

The Restaurant Manager told me that only guests wearing blue jeans would be turned away.

This would appear to once and for all put to rest the "denim is evil" witch hunt. And yes, I realize management on any given ship may very well tweak their attire suggestions but the position of this particular restaurant manager clearly establishes precedent. 

I imagine that this would apply to black khakis as well. 

3 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

This would appear to once and for all put to rest the "denim is evil" witch hunt. And yes, I realize management on any given ship may very well tweak their attire suggestions but the position of this particular restaurant manager clearly establishes precedent. 

I imagine that this would apply to black khakis as well. 

Really hate to disagree yet again.  Restaurant Managers are not the final word - Regent Corporate is.  I'll try to find out about white, black, green, purple, chartreuse, etc. colored denim jeans.

Khakis can be any color (we have seen very odd colors).

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm sure that we would have an interesting conversation!

Taking the "corporate point of view" is something I tend to do unconsciously (at least when I agree with corporate - I can definitely take a hard stance against some decisions that have been made by Regent corporate.  This likely comes from 15 years of sailing on Regent - having great relationships with onboard officers and crew and having met and sailed with management from corporate a couple of times.  I listen and try to understand their point of view.  There are times that we agree to disagree.  

There is a difference between this issue and ones that simply bother me on a personal level.  In my opinion, when someone new to Regent asks a question, it is best to give them a straight answer (from the website).   If someone wants to challenge the current dress code, why not do so on another thread rather than on one where the Thread Starter is new and just wants to understand the policy?  Additionally, if you want corporate to hear your views on the dress code (or anything else), write it on your Final Comment Questionnaire.  These are read by both onboard officers and Regent management.  

Things can and have changed due to customer feedback but certainly not from a thread where several people want a change and several people do not.  The number of people on this thread that feel strongly about wearing jeans is an infinitesimal percentage of Regent customers.  

My main reason for being on CC is to help people new to Regent.  Most times I can answer questions from memory (and sometimes I misremember things).  As has been said, passengers on the ships do not have the attitude that you are seeing on this thread (and some posters have not sailed Regent in years and still argue about their policies).  

Difficult to say why this "takes so much oxygen" from me.  Cruise Critic and researching ports, hotels and restaurants is my hobby - one that I enjoy and put a lot of energy into.  

I appreciate your attitude on this thread - thank you! 

33 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I'm sure that we would have an interesting conversation!

Taking the "corporate point of view" is something I tend to do unconsciously (at least when I agree with corporate - I can definitely take a hard stance against some decisions that have been made by Regent corporate.  This likely comes from 15 years of sailing on Regent - having great relationships with onboard officers and crew and having met and sailed with management from corporate a couple of times.  I listen and try to understand their point of view.  There are times that we agree to disagree.  

There is a difference between this issue and ones that simply bother me on a personal level.  In my opinion, when someone new to Regent asks a question, it is best to give them a straight answer (from the website).   If someone wants to challenge the current dress code, why not do so on another thread rather than on one where the Thread Starter is new and just wants to understand the policy?  Additionally, if you want corporate to hear your views on the dress code (or anything else), write it on your Final Comment Questionnaire.  These are read by both onboard officers and Regent management.  

Things can and have changed due to customer feedback but certainly not from a thread where several people want a change and several people do not.  The number of people on this thread that feel strongly about wearing jeans is an infinitesimal percentage of Regent customers.  

My main reason for being on CC is to help people new to Regent.  Most times I can answer questions from memory (and sometimes I misremember things).  As has been said, passengers on the ships do not have the attitude that you are seeing on this thread (and some posters have not sailed Regent in years and still argue about their policies).  

Difficult to say why this "takes so much oxygen" from me.  Cruise Critic and researching ports, hotels and restaurants is my hobby - one that I enjoy and put a lot of energy into.  

I appreciate your attitude on this thread - thank you! 

Well said, fellow traveler! 

Here’s an electronic handshake to you across the vast expanse of cyberspace.  

🤝

• Like 1

This would be great if it was only "blue jeans" that they banned.  My husband has both black and tan jeans that look better on him than his khaki chinos, for sure. Promise I will buy him new pairs for our WC, if this is the case!

I don't want to cause an uproar, but I don't think it's up to us passengers to go to the maitre'd and complain about someone's attire.  We're supposed to be on holiday, and after all is said and done, who bloody well cares what someone else wears!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

This would be great if it was only "blue jeans" that they banned.  My husband has both black and tan jeans that look better on him than his khaki chinos, for sure. Promise I will buy him new pairs for our WC, if this is the case!

👍🏻👍🏻

I don't want to cause an uproar, but I don't think it's up to us passengers to go to the maitre'd and complain about someone's attire.  We're supposed to be on holiday, and after all is said and done, who bloody well cares what someone else wears!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Response from Regent Corporate (so don't blame me for this):

"The color of jeans doesn’t matter because they are still not allowed.

Hotel Operations will reiterate with the ships again."

Surely there is a better use of Regent Corporate's time than to go back and forth with you on the specifics of the dress code, both late last night according to the time of  your post and again this afternoon.  I believe the portion of their response that you quoted "I trust the onboard team is capable of handling the dress code accordingly" was Regent Corporate's not so subtle way of telling you that it is not your job to be the fashion police.  They are the professionals and they've got this covered.