Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

On 11/19/2019 at 6:57 PM, amfc_lenny said:

Interesting that it’s been registered in Southampton?

It will be interesting to see whether they continue this trend.  With the younger passenger demographic on Iona, I would think they will be missing out on a lot of potential revenue from Weddings at Sea by registering her in the UK.  Maybe they feel they can't have a ship named after a British island registered overseas...

40 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

ABP have updated their ship arrivals for next year.  They have Iona coming into Southampton on 9th May 2020.  Obviously this is not set in stone, as the ship is still being constructed, but a guide anyway.

Screen grab from their site below.

Screenshot - 21_11_2019 , 12_12_22.jpg

So that's at least 5 days of VIP/TA visits then.

On a separate note, I would avoid Southampton on 23rd May - with Iona, Britannia, Ventura and Anthem of the Seas in, there will be in the region of 31,000 cruise pax passing through the city  😱.

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

So that's at least 5 days of VIP/TA visits then.

On a separate note, I would avoid Southampton on 23rd May - with Iona, Britannia, Ventura and Anthem of the Seas in, there will be in the region of 31,000 cruise pax passing through the city  😱.

Good job the footies finished and SH are not at home.That's 200 less to worry about,lol.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

She already looks like a cruise ship from the outside  but It would be great to see more of what's going on inside her.

I suspect interior pictures will be harder to find, with P&O controlling any releases.  I think most of the interior media I have seen has come from P&O.  By the time I get to go on board at the end of June, there will be walk through videos and pictures everywhere.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:00 AM, awmartin said:

Looking at this photo it shows just how little  water is needed to float her out from the shed.

She will have a draught of 8.8m (28ft) similar to most other ships of her size, so the dry dock must be deeper than it looks.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

She will have a draught of 8.8m (28ft) similar to most other ships of her size, so the dry dock must be deeper than it looks.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Quite agree, if you look at a few photos back there is a blue container near the bow and they are 8ft 6” high so this gives some sort of scale looking at the top of the red paint line.

Sadly even though the interior is being designed and fitted out with little publicity apart from the Skydome so far, it does seem there will be no ballroom or any decent sized ballroom dance floor anywhere on the ship - which means like many passengers who regard nightly dancing as a key part of their cruise, we won't be booking on Iona.   It looks like a nice ship, but is looking to a different market than those cruise ships where ballroom dancing is an integral part of life on board.  If anyone has any knowledge of any change of heart about dancing on Iona from P&O I would love to hear about it.

59 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

Sadly even though the interior is being designed and fitted out with little publicity apart from the Skydome so far, it does seem there will be no ballroom or any decent sized ballroom dance floor anywhere on the ship - which means like many passengers who regard nightly dancing as a key part of their cruise, we won't be booking on Iona.   It looks like a nice ship, but is looking to a different market than those cruise ships where ballroom dancing is an integral part of life on board.  If anyone has any knowledge of any change of heart about dancing on Iona from P&O I would love to hear about it.

A lot of things will be different on Iona from traditional P&O ships, we will have to see if they are improvements. 

We don't dance, but love watching the people who do, it is a big part of our holiday so will sadly miss it. 

I want to try Iona as I'm sure the newness and technology will be amazing but Michelle is dreading it and is trying to persuade me to cancel our booked cruise. 

I wonder if many people are having the same doubts? 

Andy 

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

A lot of things will be different on Iona from traditional P&O ships, we will have to see if they are improvements. 

We don't dance, but love watching the people who do, it is a big part of our holiday so will sadly miss it. 

I want to try Iona as I'm sure the newness and technology will be amazing but Michelle is dreading it and is trying to persuade me to cancel our booked cruise. 

I wonder if many people are having the same doubts? 

Andy 

The only doubts I have are whether it will feel overcrowded, but unless we try it we won't know if it suits us or not.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The only doubts I have are whether it will feel overcrowded, but unless we try it we won't know if it suits us or not.

The amount of people is a worry, but also the less formal feel is a concern for us. 

We attended a talk about Iona on our last cruise and it didn't fill us with confidence. 

You are right though John, we won't know unless we try. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
Spelling

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

The amount of people is a worry, but also the less formal feel is a concern for us. 

We attended a talk about Iona on our last cruise and it didn't fill us with confidence. 

You are right though John, we won't know unless we try. 

Andy 

Exactly, you won't know unless you try! We have no doubts whatsoever. We are really looking forward to her, it is a new adventure, something different. Just go with the flow and enjoy 😄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Exactly, you won't know unless you try! We have no doubts whatsoever. We are really looking forward to her, it is a new adventure, something different. Just go with the flow and enjoy 😄

The selling points in the talk we attended were all about the thriving, relaxed atmosphere, acrobats, kids clubs and chargeable venues, not much that relates to our idea of traditional cruising. 

Perhaps that is how it needs to be going forward and I am fine with that, just might not be our cup of tea. We shall see.. 

Andy