Late Night

Lollygil

We booked the Tropicana show for our night in Havana. We will be obtaining our own transportation to the club. What could we do after? I was wondering if there are any spots we could ask the driver to drop us or wait for us while we enjoy a drink or two---or  Is it safe to walk to a bar or club near the ship? Any suggestions???

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jkeller527 said:

What ship are you on we are being told they will not let us off if we book on our own 

Just ignore them, they can't do that, they are just trying to sell you excursions.  Come and go as you wish.

• Like 1

Theres a bunch of options on your way back. We stopped at the Hotel Nacional for drinks-- the bar on the back patio lounge (walk in the main entrance and across to the door you see immediately in front of you on the other side and turn left). I believe its called the Gallery Bar and its actually open 24 hours a day. Expensive place for Cubans but a very inexpensive place to drink by American standards. 

In the former Havana Hilton (current names escapes me but its close by) theres a vintage former Trader Vics in the basement called El Polinesio. They say the hours are til midnight but we had to beg them to let us have a drink on a Friday at 10:30pm. Well worth it if you ever wanted to see what a perfectly preserved 1950's Trader Vics looks like. 

El Floridita is a great stop for any Hemingway fanatic and is actually a nice bar later in the night once all the tourist busses that clog it in the afternoon go away. Also says open til midnight-- but they sort of do their own thing if its slow from what we observed. 

Sloppy Joes is newly reopened as of a few years ago-- its in the same location as the old one but nothing inside is actually original. Its all been rebuilt in a sort of hodge podge of historical accuracy and very liberal interpretation. It was the least favorite of ours. 

Bottom line is you dont have to try very hard to find a cheap drink in a cool place in Havana. If you are coming back after Tropicana, and can still stand after the copious amounts of Havana Club they try and get you to drink (its included), I would stop at El Polinesio first (would have said Floridita if you wouldnt have to double back) and then wrap up at the Hotel Nacional because of it being 24 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

In the former Havana Hilton (current names escapes me but its close by) theres a vintage former Trader Vics in the basement called El Polinesio. They say the hours are til midnight but we had to beg them to let us have a drink on a Friday at 10:30pm. Well worth it if you ever wanted to see what a perfectly preserved 1950's Trader Vics looks like. 

I have read about this place in some Tiki forums.  I need to see it.  Unfortunately from your description I might not get to.   I’ll be arriving Sunday at 8:0o.  Who knows how long it will take to disembark.  I’ll try though.   I assume a quick taxi ride to the hotel.   

I could try after the Tropicana on Monday night,  but looking for things to do on Sunday.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, pyrrhus said:

I have read about this place in some Tiki forums.  I need to see it.  Unfortunately from your description I might not get to.   I’ll be arriving Sunday at 8:0o.  Who knows how long it will take to disembark.  I’ll try though.   I assume a quick taxi ride to the hotel.   

I could try after the Tropicana on Monday night,  but looking for things to do on Sunday.

I think I am on your cruise. Leaving this Saturday? I am hoping that a lot of passengers won't bother disembarking on Sunday evening (after a day with the open bar) and it will be fast.

On 4/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, rgtkkb said:

I think I am on your cruise. Leaving this Saturday? I am hoping that a lot of passengers won't bother disembarking on Sunday evening (after a day with the open bar) and it will be fast.

I don’t think my reply posted.  Yep I am on that cruise.  Also a little worried about exchanging too much and having too much left over money after I go to the Tropicana on Tuesday.   Heh, the things that go through my mind.   Hey are you in the roll call?

Pyrrhus.....

You areworrying way too much. It is not a big deal getting off of the ship. It docks right downtown. Right across the street there's a plaza with places to have drinks also and keep on walking down the street and there were plenty of places. Keep in mind they want us there and they want us spending money. My main concern is the weather report says thunderstorms on Sunday evening. But being an island they come and go so I'm not worried we are bringing our ponchos just in case because I want to get off that ship come hell or high water!

Plenty of cars and tuk-tuks all around the ship when they are in. Hopefully we will run into you while on board.

2 hours ago, travelwide said:

Pyrrhus.....

You areworrying way too much. It is not a big deal getting off of the ship. It docks right downtown. Right across the street there's a plaza with places to have drinks also and keep on walking down the street and there were plenty of places. Keep in mind they want us there and they want us spending money. My main concern is the weather report says thunderstorms on Sunday evening. But being an island they come and go so I'm not worried we are bringing our ponchos just in case because I want to get off that ship come hell or high water!

Plenty of cars and tuk-tuks all around the ship when they are in. Hopefully we will run into you while on board.

Not worried about getting in and off.  Just about exchanging money.  I can’t believe the cadeca wont be open when the ship docks.  Now 1 am on Tuesday is another story for changing back if I have leftover.  Yes I hope we do run in to each other.

Edited by pyrrhus

• 1 month later...

Very, very interested in checking out El Polinesio! (I believe the former Havana Hilton is now called "Habana Libre" or something like that) I have fond memories of going to Trader Vic's as a kid and am a big fan of the tiki motif in general - so I think I need to find my way over there to see this! 

3 hours ago, MarilynR26 said:

Very, very interested in checking out El Polinesio! (I believe the former Havana Hilton is now called "Habana Libre" or something like that) I have fond memories of going to Trader Vic's as a kid and am a big fan of the tiki motif in general - so I think I need to find my way over there to see this! 

Aloha MarilynR26,  I also have many fabulous memories at Trader Vic's.  I am planning a trip to Cuba, including Havana, in November and El Polinesio is now on my list.  Please post how you like it. I am so happy to see Princton123211's great suggestions.  Have a wonderful cruise,  Cherie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cccole said:

Aloha MarilynR26,  I also have many fabulous memories at Trader Vic's.  I am planning a trip to Cuba, including Havana, in November and El Polinesio is now on my list.  Please post how you like it. I am so happy to see Princton123211's great suggestions.  Have a wonderful cruise,  Cherie

Thank you! I will be going in early August so I'll report back 🙂